Skipping breakfast & still lose weight?

Options
Has anyone lost while while NOT eating breakfast. I know I've always heard it's the most important meal, but honestly it makes me eat more all day!

I've tried carbs in the morning, no carbs only protein (I've had eggs most morning the last couple weeks to see if that helps) and it doesn't seem to matter what I eat, just having that early meal makes me hungry all day.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't lose weight quickly to start with (it's taken me over a year to lose the weight I have so far.)

I've heard such mixed things about metabolism, and I know as a 40 something woman, mine is not good, but has anyone had luck losing while skipping breakfast? I'd love to hear from actual experience.

Honestly, I feel better just having water before noon, then eating lunch/snack/dinner/snack (I eat dinner early, usually 4 pm because my exercise class is at 6) I'm usually up at 6am each morning if that makes a difference, and eat lunch around 11:30)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence that eating at certain times of the day helps you lose weight faster (nor does breaking down your food into 6 mini-meals or any such nonsense). Do what works for your body and helps you stay on track throughout the day in a healthy manner.

I would probably destroy the vending machine at work by 10 am if I didn't eat breakfast, so I need to chow in the morning. :laugh:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Many people who do Intermittent Fasting don't eat breakfast. You can absolutely lose weight and skip breakfast (and I've done it).

I'm the same way. If I eat early breakfast, I'm starving by 1030-1100. If I haven't had breakfast, I can last until noon without much problem.

I've gone back to having breakfast because I lift in the mornings and want to get my protein in, but otherwise, I think it's great.
  • dickrocketjones
    dickrocketjones Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i say that if your not hungry in the morning when you wake up then don't eat breakfast. dont eat breakfast because thats the conventional wisdom. just make sure to eat when you get hungry.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about 2nd breakfast? Or elevensies? :wink:

I have part of my breakfast when I get to work and save the rest for mid morning. If I don't eat a little something I eat everything in sight by lunch time.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    In 2002 I did WW and lost 38 lbs - never touching breakfast. I am now with MFP almost at 60 lbs with just about 10 to go and 98% of that I did not have breakfast. (occasional weekend breakfast with the Fam.)

I too am starving all day if I eat breakfast...and I have tried every mix of things to see what helps. Nothing ever did so I skipped it.
  • sewsinthesouth
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast most days. Just black coffee, and then my first meal is around 12. I can't say I have lost weight doing this. More like maintaining.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about 2nd breakfast? Or elevensies? :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The idea of HAVING to eat breakfast is just false. Some people function better without it. I am more hungry when I eat breakfast. Which was kind of tough for me to take that step to try and not eat it. I thought there was no way I could skip it, because I was just so hungry all morning. After just a couple days I realized I was only hungry because I ate. Weird but true for me.

Try skipping it for a week or 2 and see how it goes.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Eat when you want.

Your body doesn't know what breakfast, lunch or dinner is, it uses food for energy and that's it. Now it does know when it wants or needs food for energy and if that is a strong urge in the morning then feed it, if not, don't worry about not eating in the "normal" breakfast hours.

Weight loss is purely calories in / calories out.
  • keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    Options
    Breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. Breakfast does not 'kick start' your metabolism. This is just information that you have been fed since you were a child, and now it's habit.

You can totally skip breakfast without any harm. Many people do it with intermittent fasting (your eating window is 8 hours each day, and you spend 16 hours fasting).
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I do IF (skip breakfast) if I'm trying to lose weight. It's easier to plan 2 clean meals a day than 3, and there are some other benefits.

Check out leangains.com for in depth IF info.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person so I never eat breakfast. Hasn't stopped me losing weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no you don't have to eat breakfast...that whole line comes from the fact that children perform better in school if they have a good breakfast...that has been proven.

But as adults...eh

I do eat breakfast...as soon as I am done with my morning coffee I am hungry so I eat.

eating breakfast hasn't hampered my weight loss....not eating breakfast wouldn't hamper it either.
  • Mumstrongbow
    Mumstrongbow Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always thought I had to have breakfast to lose weight. Lately I have found I cannot face eating in a morning but I do need something and so have been trying a meal replacement shake for the last couple of weeks. It seems to have done the trick, keeping me full until lunch without the thought of having to chew anything that early in the dayl.

Perhaps something like this sits in the middle of do I eat breakfast or don't I
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I gained weight while not eating breakfast, I lost weight while not eating breakfast, I maintained weight while not eating breakfast.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I've been IF'ing more a little over two years. You don't need to eat breakfast to be successful.

Just eat when you would like provided you remain at a calorie deficit.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The idea of HAVING to eat breakfast is just false. Some people function better without it. I am more hungry when I eat breakfast. Which was kind of tough for me to take that step to try and not eat it. I thought there was no way I could skip it, because I was just so hungry all morning. After just a couple days I realized I was only hungry because I ate. Weird but true for me.

Try skipping it for a week or 2 and see how it goes.

Nice Lever!

back on topic, like most have said eat if you're hungry, meal timing doesn't really matter within reason. Pretty much anything under 24 hours of fasting won't have an impact on your metabolism so don't believe the hype. We aren't THAT delicate of a machine that it all comes crashing down without a bowl of cheerios when we wake up!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a breakfast eater....in fact if I eat breakfast I tend to eat more throughout the day. My numbers prove you can lose weight without eating breakfast.
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about 2nd breakfast? Or elevensies?

you reading my mind or something??
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You do need to eventually "break" the "fast", you just don't need to always do it in the morning. Eat when you are hungry...