Wrong nutriotion values

Options
Hi I just started on here last week and have spent hours looking at loads of different brands of stuff to see which is better for you but the values for the same branded item are all different which is not helping me at all and could mislead people, has anyone else noticed this and who actually puts them on here?

Replies

• chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    A lot of the stuff people have entered - i check each and every time. Sometimes I fix it on here - sometimes I enter my own. Sometimes I spend a few extra minutes finding the correct one
  • britsnpieces
    britsnpieces Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I sure have. I generally look at the back of the packs and use MFP as a general estimate of my calories. :)
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you asking?

Different brands (even of the same things) will have slightly different values because they're made differently.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In the MFP database? Yes, absolutely. I found logging here overly cumbersome because I had to look every entry up on another site to know which was correct here. And sometimes none of them were.

This is a good site for reference: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started on here last week and have spent hours looking at loads of different brands of stuff to see which is better for you but the values for the same branded item are all different which is not helping me at all and could mislead people, has anyone else noticed this and who actually puts them on here?

Don't use MFP to look up different brands. There are multiple entries of a lot of things because people get confused about how to add things to their diary, and sometimes the nutritional values of things change due to recipe alterations. Also, you're going to find a million different brands, many of which won't be in your area. If you're trying to compare, go to the grocery store and look at the different products you're interested in. Choose the one that has what you're looking for. But don't do that using MFP's database. You'll just make yourself frustrated.