6 small meals

:noway: :noway: :noway: Really!? :noway: :noway: How do you do it? I work in a fast paced office. I have to really concentrate to eat. I am from the starve yourself skinny thought club. I know that is not the right way, I understand the biology of it. How do you change the thought process and food relationship. I know my co-workers see me eating all the time. It is cottage cheese, celery, a handful of almonds, and the constant water jug refill and bathroom trips.

Any Ideas?

Trish

BTW, I am down 3 pounds and 3 inches my trainer said the loss would increase when I learn to eat the 6 healthy meals a day. Again, my brain understands, my body doesn't get it.

Replies

• :noway: :noway: :noway: Really!? :noway: :noway: How do you do it? I work in a fast paced office. I have to really concentrate to eat. I am from the starve yourself skinny thought club. I know that is not the right way, I understand the biology of it. How do you change the thought process and food relationship. I know my co-workers see me eating all the time. It is cottage cheese, celery, a handful of almonds, and the constant water jug refill and bathroom trips.

Any Ideas?

Trish

BTW, I am down 3 pounds and 3 inches my trainer said the loss would increase when I learn to eat the 6 healthy meals a day. Again, my brain understands, my body doesn't get it.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    umm I don't eat 6 small meals a day...I mean, I know some people do it, but not me and I've managed to lose weight. I might have faster weight loss if I did do that, but I just don't....lol
    Good luckl!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    I know it's hard to get used to, but just think of it this way.... have you ever seen an overweight bird??
    deer? shark? That is because they GRAZE - and that means several smaller meals.:happy:

I know the analogies are a little different, but you just need to try it. You might not be able to get 6 small meals in per day, but maybe you can try 4 small meals and 1 large one. Or 3 small and 2 large. Experiment and see what works best for you. :smile:

I am never hungry. Never. Okay, yes once in awhile after my afternoon snack, I go work out at 5:30 and I come out ravenous and skedaddle home to get my dinner started. I'm often too broke to stop anywhere BAD, so I keep a pouch of peanuts and nibble those on the 13 minute drive home, and because I don't have anything but front teeth, I can't do much damage with those, and the protein is exactly what my body needs.

But I'm losing faster than I thought I should be - I'm aiming for a half pound a week and it's turning out to be about 3/4 +/- .... I'm thrilled. Just try it even if it doesn't make sense. :wink: You're doing fine!!!!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    i eat the basic 3 meals and 3 snacks(friut or nuts) is that what you mean by 6 meals?
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    There are people on here with much more scientific explanations of this, but here's the simpe aspect of it, which I do follow (most of the time)...

By eating small meals throughout the day, your body keeps running smoothly, consistently. Sugar levels, etc. stay balanced, not up and down, which can cause the crash and burn effect. When I eat like this it is unbelieveable how much better I feel. More energy, happier, not hungry, etc.

Good luck!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    It's all about preparation, after you go shopping, make sure you buy lunch baggies. I take my cheese, my veggies, sometimes chicken (cooked), or steak tips (also cooked), almonds or some other nuts... etc, what ever food you normally eat. I put them in individual servings and throw them in the baggies. I usually have between 5 and 7 bags of food for the day. It takes about an hour on sunday (our normal shopping day) to do all this, and then I just grab the baggies in the morning before I leave for work. It's actually quite easy, and my calories are almost always the same every week.

Add to this stuff the single serving (low sodium) cans of V8 (which is 2 servings of veggies), yogurt, and usually an Atkins bar for a little extra protein if I need it, and I'm good to go. At BJ's wholesale they have boxes of the atkins bars on the cheap.

good luck,

Banks
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    I try to do this too, and its hard because you have to plan it...yuck...LOL

I go for my morning coffee, w/ a fiber one bar, for my early breakfast 300 cals ( I love my lite lattes...lol)

then for my second meal I have a piece of fruit and a lite yogurt 150 cals

3rd meal is my lunch and is usually salad w/ grilled chicken and beans 400 cals

4th meal usually piece of fruit w/ peanut butter or cut up veggies w/ skinny cow or lite veggie dip made w/ cottage cheese 250 cals

5th meal is my dinner and something like ....grilled veggies, a little pasta and chicken, fish, turkey burger etc...400 cals

6th meal is my frozen yogurt, piece of fruit and lite yogurt dip or if I want crunchy creamy salsa w/ cut up veggies or baked tostitos....200 cals

and I usually burn about 500-600 a day but if I don't then I downsize on the mini meals like eliminate the evening snack...etc...:grumble:

and that's how I do it....but again planning and again...not every day works out as nice as I intend:ohwell: LOL

just do your best it gets easier when you do it more and more....

hugs!
    Ali
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    The word "meal" is probably throwing you off. I know from research that the "meal" actually is something like an apple w/peanut butter, or apple and a cheese stick, it could be a yogurt with a small handful of almonds.

The idea is to keep the furnace known as metabolism stoked so it will burn all day. Once your body goes into starvation mode it begins to hang on to everything that you put into it. The concept is backwards to all of us "starvers" , but I'm learning that you have to eat to burn calories/lose weight.

I'm in an office as well and I have a mid-morning "meal" and a mid-afternoon "meal" in addition to my regular meals daily and i'm never hungry. Today my mid-morning is a Fiber One bar, this afternoon it's a small apple and a yogurt ( I dip the apple in the yogurt).

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • Thank you ALL. That is why I love this site. Everyone is welcome and everyone is positive and honest. I like the skinny shark theory and the furance.

I sincerely appreciate your time and expertise.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: more later and a snack for me
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    I do six a day and beleive it has helped boost my metabolism. Every night before going to bed I pack my "lunch" for the next day. That includes lunch and two snacks. I make sure I have a lean protein and a high quality carb at every meal. With the exception of the last couple weeks, I've never been hungry, I'm less tempted to eat junk food, and I drink more water since I include it every time I eat something.

I read a lot on the science behind it, and it makes sense. Also, it seems to be working.........