Indoor Exercise (for an upstairs apartment)

Options
I recently had to drop my gym membership due to work issues. I'm now sort of just staring blankly ahead trying to figure out how I should tackle working out. I live upstairs in an apartment and my downstairs neighbors complain about every tiny noise. We live in older apartments, so doing anything vigorous up here is out of the question. I live in Florida and the humidity makes it excruciating to work out outside. I just can't do it. I go for walks in the evening, but you can completely rule out anything other than that. I have thrown up from the heat just trying! Does anyone know of any *quiet* indoor exercise routines, etc? I was just laid off this week and instead of getting depressed, I've decided to use this un-wanted mini-permanet-vacation to take time and focus on getting back into the swing of things.

Replies

• raven617
    raven617 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yoga! It's an exercise that does not involve jumping or anything loud really. Yoga is meant to be quiet and eventually relaxing, most DVD's provide modify positions for beginners and then imtermidate, then pro.
  • nubian218
    nubian218 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi sorry about your lost but Im sure you will find something else, but what i do because i live up stairs to i will usually go down stairs and inform my neighbor that i will be working out for 30-45min and they are understanding or you can find out when they are not there to exercise.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    I'm on the third floor and worry about that too...but anytime you live in close quarters you really have to be somewhat accepting of other people making noise and causing smells, etc.

I know when the neighbors are gone, so I do loud stuff then. Obviously you want to abide by any association rules (like between the hours of 8AM and 9PM, or whatever.)

I agree with the poster above, that you could ask/tell them if you are friendly with them: and if they are reasonable. But I don't think you owe them a conversation about it.
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Pilates is good, too.

Also check out fitnessblender.com they have some apartment friendly workouts. low impact-cardio, abs, barre routines. and if you know when your neighbours are out, try your jumping noisy stuff then.

HTH
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Does your lease have specified quiet hours? Mine doesn't but I use 10pm to be respectful. Before then, eff the cranky downstairs lady. 30 Day Shred is less than 30 minutes. She can deal with my jumping jacks for that long.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You can do anything. Well almost anything. Look for low impact stuff, I do/ have done all sorts of cardio, turbo jam, dancing, yoga, ballet type exercise. And even impact cardio can be modified so you can still get benefits without making a bunch of noise. I have lived on upper levels or apartments since 1999
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Both Yoga and Pilates are good workouts. I'm just going to go with what everyone else has basically said - either find out when they are not there, or set a certain time of day when you'll be exercising for 30 - 60 minutes. It's a good way to keep you on a schedule for your workouts and hopefully they're flexible if workout time interferes with a job interview.
  • okrockon
    Options
    anyway you can buy a mat to work out on? it will probably muffle sound pretty good.
  • xjeanie
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the information!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Pilates is a great way to do some of the more 'quiet' exercises. I love POPilates.

www.youtube.com/user/blogilates
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because I'm interested in suggestions along these lines too. I don't have room for huge exercise equipment and our floors are sooooo squeaky. I would love to get a mini-trampoline, but I'm fairly certain the noise would piss off my downstairs neighbor.
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your job but you have a great attitude! I use an exercise ball and resistance tubes to get an awesome quiet workout. I also use kettlebells for strength.
  • janeilm89
    Options
    I bounce around like a mofo, I don't care! Not during quiet hours, of course, usually mid-afternoon. But that's just apart of apartment living, especially when you move into a bottom floor apartment, you're going to hear the people above you, no way around that. You are very considerate, but also realize that this is your home, and if you want to do a high impact workout, you can. The neighbors can handle some extra noise for an hour or so. Also, I try to do most of my workout's in the bedroom, I figure the neighbors probably aren't hanging out in the bedroom in the middle of the day, is that a possibility for you?
  • KellyJo70
    Options
    Yes, it is your home and half an hour to an hour may not sound unreasonable to some people. Some people work shift work and midday is actually midnight to them. Try to be considerate and do exercise when they are not home or make arrangements with them. It is their home also and living in an apartment everyone has to live peacefully together.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I would speak to your neighbor (or write a note) and explain that you're exercising for good health. They can't complain about that! A 30-40 minute cardio workout shouldn't be that big of a deal.

You can also do strength training which doesn't make any noise at all. Unless you drop a dumbbell. :smile:
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i use the you are your own gym app. has a lot of body weight exercises that don't require jumping around. i think i paid 2.99. was worth it. you can put together programs or follow the few that come with it. a sturdy table and pullup bar would be good to have.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    make friends with the park.

see if you have stability somewhere to set up a TRX- that being said if I HAD to do one thing without jumping- the TRX would be it.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I put a mat on the floor to help deaden the sound a bit. That seems to muffle things for the neighbors, no complaints when I do Zumba or anything like that. I also do it before 10pm in the living room.

Don't workout over their bedroom, you never know when they will be sleeping.
    Do your best to muffle the sound (mat, carpet, etc)

If you choose weight lifting don't drop the weights at end of each set - FYI no weights in house, use soup cans or water bottles. Gallon water bottles are a good choice as you can fill them up more as you go. water or dirt.

If you are making "noise" do it between 10am and 10pm that is the considerate hours.
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Is there an indoor mall or a walmart near you? You can walk around inside there to get away from the heat and it won't cost you anything (as long as you don't stop to buy something!). Some malls have walking groups in the morning before they open the stores too.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Since pilates and yoga have been mentioned, I wanna throw in tae bo. There are some stepping moves, but no jumping jacks or burpees or anything like that that should make any noise. And I second the notion of buying a really thick rug/ mat or something to help. And also seeing when the lady downstairs is gone. If she works during the day, theres got to be an hour or two where she will be gone. :)