Best Running Shoes!

Options
kmajaVCU
kmajaVCU Posts: 33 Member
Hey All!

First off I want to say that I have been on and off of MFP for a while. I hit a major plateau back in college and I am just now starting to break through it since I've started running! I am not the farthest runner yet, but I really enjoy it and I am making progress everyday. For running my first mile in under 12 minutes (for the first time since high school), I am treating myself to a new pair of running shoes...I just don't know which kind to get! For all of you runners out there from beginning to pro, please let me know what running shoes you use or like best!

Replies

• ilene64
    ilene64 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    The best running shoes are the ones you get fitted for.

Find a local running store. They should have someone who can look at how you walk/run and suggest a few types of shoes that would be good for you.
  • kmajaVCU
    Options

Find a local running store. They should have someone who can look at how you walk/run and suggest a few types of shoes that would be good for you.

Oh wow I didn't even think of that. Thanks!
  • Lizplus3
    Lizplus3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    First, great job on running a mile in under 12 minutes!!! I have run off and on for years, just go back into it in January. The best advise that I can give you is:

1. Everyone is different with their feet and what works for them, so the shoe that works and feels wonderful for me may not be the right shoe for you. I wear Nike and Reebok because the have air support and not gel.

2. Do you have a sports store near you? We have a small local store that the running clubs use. If you are not sure search for a running club in your area and ask them who they go to for shoes. Once you know where they go you can go there also - even if you do not get a pair of shoes from this store (as they might be higher in price than the chains) they will have you try on different types of shoes and walk in them. When they watch you walk they will be able to tell what type of shoe is best for you. Oh, take a note pad they will give you some very good advise. Once you know what type of shoe is correct for your foot, gate, step, etc. you can then go anywhere you want to buy the shoes. I bought the first pair from the local store since they helped me for a while in finding the right shoe and then after that I went to the outlet for the shoe and got them there.

I hope that this helps! Happy running! If you need anything else or want support feel free to friend me!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

This absolutely. Go to a local running store and get fitted.
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Beat me to it. Nothing is more important. Get onto that treadmill and let them film your legs :D
  • Lmans77
    Lmans77 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really really love my New Balance Minimus. But it's a minimalist shoe and totally difference from a traditional running shoe. I can't wear traditional running shoes anymore without feeling like I have blocks strapped to my feet.

But I am not a serious runner. My sister very much is a wears a traditional shoe. She loves her high end Asics.

But overall, I second the recommendation to get fitted at a running store.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Fellrnr is an ultrarunner, and came in 4th in the Graveyard 100 last week. He is always reviewing running gear and products.
    http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Shoes
  • jfubar13
    jfubar13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

This absolutely. Go to a local running store and get fitted.

Check out Brooks.
  • apgabriel915
    apgabriel915 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Jumping on the band wagon about getting fitted. I always had horrible shin splints that made me not want to run. I went to my local store and got fitted and learned that I didn't have enough stability in my shoe. I got fitted and got a pair of Sauconys. The great thing about most stores is that they don't have a "return" policy persay. After two months my feet didn't feel right and I took them back, got a pair of stability New Balance and instantly hated them when I ran, now I have Brooks Dyad which is actually a neutral shoe with more cushion and I love them. It's all trial and error but they will help you. Congrats on running!
  • jamesisaac108
    Options
    Running shoes is one area you shouldnt skimp on. Get the best you can afford after you get fitted.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

this is all that matters. don't worry about brand until you figure out fit / what your foot or style needs.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, get fitted. Try on several pairs from several makers and find what works for you. That said, I love my Hoka's so much that I bought two pair, my wife went from Brooks and Saucony to Hoka, and my Father-in-law has been a runner for decades, he's crazy in to it, runs dang near every day, and competes in ultra's, and he's also a big fan of the Hoka's.

But most important is finding the shoe that works for you, even if it's ugly as sin.

Rigger
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are some really great running stores in the DC metro area. There are several close to your area, Potomac River Running, Fleet Feet, and Roadrunner Sports. Roadrunner Sports will video you on a treadmill to check your gait and make recommendations, some of the other ones will also. They also let you return shoes after you've worn them outside up to 60 days for exchange. There shouldn't be a "breakin period" for the right pair of shoes, although there may be if you get more supportive insoles. Don't let them talk you into insoles unless you pronate very severely -- many do try to "upsale" that to you now, unfortunately. Change shoes more often than they look worn -- your body will thank you for that.
  • kmajaVCU
    Options
    Thank you ALL for so much input! I am definitely going to go out and get fitted for some running shoes. That never even crossed my mind lol.
  • kmajaVCU
    Options
    There are some really great running stores in the DC metro area. There are several close to your area, Potomac River Running, Fleet Feet, and Roadrunner Sports. Roadrunner Sports will video you on a treadmill to check your gait and make recommendations, some of the other ones will also. They also let you return shoes after you've worn them outside up to 60 days for exchange. There shouldn't be a "breakin period" for the right pair of shoes, although there may be if you get more supportive insoles. Don't let them talk you into insoles unless you pronate very severely -- many do try to "upsale" that to you now, unfortunately. Change shoes more often than they look worn -- your body will thank you for that.

Thanks for the recommendations! I know where most of those are so I will definitely check them out.