How to not bulk up...HELP!

Options
I am going to begin lifting weights today, but I don't want to bulk up. I am top heavy as it is and if anything I would like to lose inches from my hips up more than from my hips down. What are some weight lifting techniques, how much weight (remember I'm a light weight to begin with), and how many reps should I do in order to tone and shrink some of my bulk?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    In order to bulk up, you need to take something synthetic that usually is dispensed through a syringe.

In all seriousness, it's EXTREMELY hard to bulk up.......for guys. It is exponentially harder for women due to the lack of testosterone. If you're eating in a deficit, then it's virtually impossible. Bulk comes from hours of work, a caloric surplus, and testosterone. Lift a weight that you struggle to finish out 5-8 reps, eat at a deficit, throw in some cardio if you like, rinse, repeat, enjoy results.

Investigate books such as stronglifts, New Rules, etc...
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If you're going to start lifting today, you'll need a plan of action. Since it's such short notice, I'd look up Stronglifts 5x5 since it's free and readily accessible online. I'm following New Rules of Lifting for Women, which is a book. Both programs will give you routines to do with instructions for increasing the resistance at set intervals, etc.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Unless you are injecting testosterone, don't worry about "bulking up". It's freaking hard work for a _guy_ to bulk up without, uh.... "supplements", and it's even harder for a girl.

Check out stronglifts (online) or Starting Strength (a book). I prefer starting strength, but the book is a little over 300 pages long, a bit daunting if you are just starting out.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Don't go into a caloric surplus if you don't wanna bulk. That's all.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Don't take steroids. Simple enough.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    To not bulk up, don't take testosterone or eat at a major surplus.

That's it.

As for techniques and how much weight you should do, I recommend following a program instead of just wandering around the gym. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good one for beginners. Work with a trainer or watch lots of videos to make sure your form is correct; improper form can lead to injury. For weight, start with whatever's heavy for you; that might be quite light compared to others (10-20 lb range). Whatever leads to fatigue towards the ends of your sets. You'll eventually move up as you get stronger, but it's better to go lighter while working on form, particularly as going too big, too soon can also lead to injury.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Women don't easily add bulk. We add tone and definition. Women who bulked up are using supplements, good or bad, to do so. Female body builders do hours of work, have very restrictive diets, etc. Lifting weights a few times a week while trying to lose weight won't cause you to bulk up. Too many women think they'll just grow big muscles and it doesn't happen. We're not built that way. And as prior respondents said, develop a plan - know what you're going to work on, weights you'll use, etc. Don't just go in bind and start lifting weights. Have a plan and goal in mind and mapped out.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for almost a year now and trust me, I have not bulked in the slightest. I have lost a lot of inches and look and feel better than ever. And I can tell I have more muscles in my legs, but they look smaller and cellulite has improved. So don't be scared to lift weights! There's no such thing as "light weight", just lift as heavy as YOU can and keep adding weight as long as your form is good. You will wonder why you didn't start sooner!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    bulking doesn't just happen and its not accidental. Don't eat for a bulk and you'll be just fine.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    reps and cardio
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Your "bulk" right now is fat. The way to get rid of that is by diet.

To ensure you're "toned" when you lose your bulk, do some heavy lifting and eat adequate protein. Using a smaller calorie deficit to lose weight will also help.

Best of luck "bulking up" as a female. It takes a lot of effort.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    To not bulk up, don't take testosterone or eat at a major surplus.

That's it.

As for techniques and how much weight you should do, I recommend following a program instead of just wandering around the gym. Stronglifts 5x5 is a good one for beginners.

This.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    From what I've seen, young men can put on more lean muscle in a month than women can in a year. And these are women who are working hard to build muscle, with a calorie surplus. Just blows my mind how popular culture has set up a fear of building muscle in women.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If you're brand new to weights, consider using resistance bands or machines which are safer than free weights. Once you're comfortable with your form, then add the free weights.

To incorporate weight lifting into a weight loss program aim for high reps, 3-5 sets per exercise and short rest. Start with 2 minutes for the first 4 weeks then drop to 90 seconds for the next 4 weeks, then drop to 60 seconds. If you can alternate weight training days with cardio days, you'll be golden.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Don't take steroids. There, you won't bulk up.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit.

While you can most definitely make strength gains at a deficit, it is incredibly unlikely to add bulk, as far as increased muscle mass. You will probably see an increase on the scale for a while as your body adapts (the muscles retain water to help them heals) and may see a bit of "pump" in your muscles right after lifting, but really, if you're at a caloric deficit, you'll shed the fat and keep more muscle by lifting. You'll get more definition as the fat comes off, but not more bulk.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up by accident. Look at a program like Stronglifts, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women (I recommend reading this for info even if you do not follow that lifting program), Nia Shanks (her blog is good reading even if you don't follow her lifting program).
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    All of the above.

Lift heavy. Eat light(ish).

You. Will. Not. Bulk.

You will, however, like the way you look.

I guarantee it.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    i do 3x12 then follow up with a 4th to failure. works like a charm :glasses:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I would recommend not accidentally running into any needles containing growth hormones and you should make out just fine.