Legs and Muscles very tired

Options
I've been trying to get fit again for the past 2 months and lost almost 30 lbs. I started off slow and for the first 2 weeks could barely do about 10 to 20 min just running on the elliptical going 4 days a week. Once the weight started to come off I added another day to my workout and added doing weights again to avoid losing muscle. I also read up on doing intervals instead of just constant speed to get my heart rate up and burn calories longer after the workout is over.

I'm currently working out 5 days a week for little over an hour with cardio and weights. I'm managing my 2300 calories, exercise, measurements with MFP. I'm drinking more water than anything else and trying to eat more protein and vegetables(Probably not enough veggies though), although I do try to allow one cheat meal a week and go over my calories just one day.

My workout usually consists of doing the elliptical for 35 min doing intervals of 4m @ 7mph to 7.5mph and 2m rests @ about 6.5 mph. I then do 6 sets of various weights and cable exercises (usually chest, arms, abs, shoulders and some back lifting) to keep my heart rate up and build muscle that lasts about another 30 min.

The past few days, my body feels very tired especially my legs. I'm not sure if my legs are tired or just relaxed but they don't feel ready to go on another run. Mentally i'm psyched to go to the gym and keep on working hard to get this weight off. I enjoy the feeling after I've run and lifted so I don't want to give up.

My question for my fellow members, is my body being tired just normal due to its changing and something I need to keep pushing through or is my body trying to tell me something? Maybe i'm pushing too hard and need to back down on the amount i'm running or lifting. I really don't want to cut back on the number of days i'm going to the gym since I feel that would be step in the wrong direction. I would really appreciate any insight y'all might have. Encouragement is even more appreciated. :)

Please forgive the noob in me but I wasn't very active when I started my current job and it added on pounds. I've been reading trying to get back in shape and get my weight/blood pressure down so I can be fit again. I want to be there when my 6 year old daughter graduates college, gets married, or has her first kiddo. I was afraid with my current weight issues, I wouldn't make that.

Any help from anyone is really appreciated since I'm very new and trying to learn. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I listen to my bod and if it says rest I rest.

What is your schedule? Do you do 5 days on /2 days off or do you break it up? I found it better for me to break rest days up.

Sun - Rest
    Mon - Swim
    Tue - Lift/Cardio
    Wed - Rest
    Thu - Lift/Cardio
    Fri - Swim
    Sat - Lift/Cardio

I did mine in stages. I started lifting first. After 2 months I added swimming. After a month I added cardio.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Short answer - It *sounds* like you've taken on too much too soon. Well done for the effort and determination, that's something to be proud of, but more isn't always better. Your body needs time to recuperate and three or four good quality workout days with the remainder of the week to rest is preferable to five or six balls to the wall workout days with the remainder of the week to rest.

Without meeting you face to face or knowing your medical history, limitations, goals and a load of other stuff I can't truly help you - the above is a best guess.

Also, six is too young to get married. That's messed up, bro!
  • stryder77
    stryder77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    @ Bun_ya: LOL, she sure as hell isn't getting married yet. I mean in another 30 years IF I don't send her to the convent first! JK

@ _MG_: I workout the following schedule and try to break up both my weights and rest days. I do cardio every day though since its the bigger way to burn calories.

Monday: Cardio
    Tues: Cardio/Weights
    Wed: Off
    Thurs: Cardio/Weights
    Fri: Cardio
    Sat: Off
    Sun: Cardio/Weights
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    The past few days, my body feels very tired especially my legs. I'm not sure if my legs are tired or just relaxed but they don't feel ready to go on another run. Mentally i'm psyched to go to the gym and keep on working hard to get this weight off. I enjoy the feeling after I've run and lifted so I don't want to give up.

I'd echo the sentiment that it sounds like your body's feeling fatigued from what sounds to be a sizeable increase in activity over a relatively smaller period of time. As long as you're just feeling tired, I wouldn't worry too much. You should be able to keep going. If it was PAINFUL, as in you're wincing every time you take a step, it'd be another story.

I would, however, caution that you need to be sure not to beat yourself up if your progress slows down for a bit. Your body just needs time to adapt to the new workload. Even experienced gym-folk will feel fatigue if they start something new.
  • stryder77
    Options
    That could be from hitting the weights harder than i was previously. I'm not in any pain. I'll keep working on it.
  • karlbaxter
    karlbaxter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yep.. slow down - or switch out..

swap 2 of the weights and cardio days for core work (yoga, pilates type core work) you'll improve core strength, build lean muscle and give your body time to recuperate

5 days on the spin of heavy weights and cardio too much, specially if you keep ramping it up.
  • gloriaqzhao
    gloriaqzhao Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump
    I have the same issue the past week. My workout load is similar to you, ding weight about 3 times a week, and cardio 6 times a week.
    Starting 2 weeks ago I tried to cut grains and added more lean meat to my diet. But starting last Friday, I start to feel extreme fatigue. I used to run 5 miles every single day in 60 minutes, but I could barely manage to walk at 3.5 mph on Monday. I could hardly lift any dumbbell, and just feel tired. Even going upstairs at my house was a little challenging. There is no pain in my body, but I feel like my strength and energy were sucked out completely. I thought this was due to low blood sugar, so I added back the carbs, lots of carbs over the weekend, but as of now, I still feel tired.

BTW I always sleep 6-7 hours at night. I am looking forward to hear more advice.
  • Bun_Ya
    Options
    Bump
    I have the same issue the past week. My workout load is similar to you, ding weight about 3 times a week, and cardio 6 times a week.
    Starting 2 weeks ago I tried to cut grains and added more lean meat to my diet. But starting last Friday, I start to feel extreme fatigue. I used to run 5 miles every single day in 60 minutes, but I could barely manage to walk at 3.5 mph on Monday. I could hardly lift any dumbbell, and just feel tired. Even going upstairs at my house was a little challenging. There is no pain in my body, but I feel like my strength and energy were sucked out completely. I thought this was due to low blood sugar, so I added back the carbs, lots of carbs over the weekend, but as of now, I still feel tired.

BTW I always sleep 6-7 hours at night. I am looking forward to hear more advice.
    What are the details of your workout program?
    What are your goals?
    Why have you cut out grains?
    What are your macros like?
    Are you suffering from any stress at the moment (other than that surrounding being a mother of three)?
    Have there been any other symptoms other than extreme fatigue?
    Do you get enough iron in your diet?

etc etc etc.

Going on what you've given us so far is sounds like overexertion with dietary complications, but going on what you've given us so far is about as good as picking a reason out of a hat.

Congratulations on the 18lbs lost so far, that's great.
  • gloriaqzhao
    Options
    Bump

What are the details of your workout program?
    What are your goals?
    Why have you cut out grains?
    What are your macros like?
    Are you suffering from any stress at the moment (other than that surrounding being a mother of three)?
    Have there been any other symptoms other than extreme fatigue?
    Do you get enough iron in your diet?

etc etc etc.

Going on what you've given us so far is sounds like overexertion with dietary complications, but going on what you've given us so far is about as good as picking a reason out of a hat.

Congratulations on the 18lbs lost so far, that's great.

Thanks for follow up!

My detail work out includes:
    Monday: Ab 20 minutes, Core and leg weight 30 minutes, Swim 30 minutes.
    Tuesday: Walk/Run 5 miles in 1 hour
    Wednesday: Walk/Run 5 miles in1 hour
    Thursday: Total body weight 30+20 minutes (Upper arm mostly), swim 30 minutes
    Friday: Walk/Run 5 miles in1 hour
    Saturday: Housework, shopping, or field trip
    Sunday: Zumba 1 hour, Swimming 1 hour.

My goal is to add lean muscle, cut down body fat, especially the belly fat, which just would not go away even when I am lean and muscular in arms and legs.

I tried to cut grain, or refined starch, as I tried to follow the paleo diet, for a short period, just to see if it works on me. I followed MFP's guided macro in the goal setting for about 2 years, then I read an article that says I need 1-2 g of each kilo of my body weight to build up more muscles, so I changed the macro from the MFP suggested (carb 150g, Fat 40g, Protein 60g) to (carb 80, fat 40, Protein 120). I have switched back to the old macro this week as I am not feeling right.

So far I don't feel stressed. My workouts usually take place early in the morning before my kids wake up, or when they have swimming class or karate class at the gym.

Other symptoms... irregular menstrual period might be one. Also my last medical exam did find my iron level on the lower end, but not low enough to require supplement. I have been eating some beef lately , although for the most part I tend to be a vegetarian.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rest.

sounds like you need more rest- I would cut the cardio from weigh training days to be honest. That would be my first step.
  • Bun_Ya
    Options
    gloriaqzhao - With the reintroduction of grains you may start to feel better. If you don't, maybe go back to a medical professional (which I most certainly am not) and get checked out. Maybe ask about hypothyroidism.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    rest.

sounds like you need more rest- I would cut the cardio from weigh training days to be honest. That would be my first step.

This.

If you really feel like you NEED to do some cardio on your weight training days, then finish up your workout with 10-20 minutes of intervals. Also how aggressive is your deficit? How is your nutrition. This can also make a difference in how your body responds to the activity.
  • gloriaqzhao
    Options
    gloriaqzhao - With the reintroduction of grains you may start to feel better. If you don't, maybe go back to a medical professional (which I most certainly am not) and get checked out. Maybe ask about hypothyroidism.

Thanks you! Adding grain back to diet started to work. I am feeling better today.
  • stryder77
    Options
    Why cut the cardio from my weight training when I'm trying to drop my weight down? Forgive my noob question. The couple personal trainers I've spoken with told me that cardio is what I need to focus on and some weights to keep my muscle up.

As for an update, I went again yesterday and did my routine. I actually finished stronger than I had in a while and was able to hold my last interval for a full 5 min at 7.5mph. I was actually quite proud of myself. I also stayed and lifted weights again for about 30 min afterward and had energy to keep going. This morning I feel good and not really sore. I think I was just a little fatigued when I wrote this yesterday.

Thank you to everyone for helping and I'm still interested in JoRocka's suggestion on cutting cardio on my weight days.