Calories :/

Options
I get so frustrated when I'm trying to diet.
I don't mind eating healthy, a lot of healthy foods are great!
My main thing is finding what is healthy that can give me enough calories without giving me too many carbs, sugars, sodium, or fat.
What in the world should I be eating to have a balanced diet. It's just frustrating.

Replies

• ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

You could take a more relaxed approach though...I eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calories for the day. I don't count carbs, sugar, sodium, etc.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Firstly don't worry about the mfp numbers for sugar, They're stupid low. Like the fruit I eat in a day (and I don't eat that much fruit) would put me over. So, I stopped tracking it.

Actually, I didn't really worry about the fat, sodium or carbs when I started out either. Instead I Concentrated on getting comfortable eating at a deficit and then started looking at nutrient goals.
  • nebulala
    nebulala Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    condition yourself to enjoy veggies :). i'm a sugar/fruit lover but i'm slowly getting there… super low-cal for large volumes & pretty tasty if prepared right (some are good raw, too).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!

You could take a more relaxed approach though...I eat whatever I want as long as it fits into my calories for the day. I don't count carbs, sugar, sodium, etc.

This!^

I try to eat better...........not perfectly

Dietary fats do not make a person fat. Plenty of fats are healthy.....nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado. Dietary fat is necessary.

I eat carbs (I have no medical issues).....but I try to make better choices.....whole wheat vs. white bread for example. The wheat bread still has fiber & protein that the white bread doesn't. I don't worry about sugars.....but added sugar is a trigger for me...so I keep an eye on that. MFP treats all sugars equally....I choose to view fiber instead.

Sodium is not an issue (for me) ....no high blood pressure. I drink plenty of water to flush it out.

Bottom line.....this is a lifestyle change. I don't see giving up chocolate forever....but I know I do need to control portions big time.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I can see watching sodium (water weight) but really the rest of it is crap. Low carb/sugar/fat isn't necessarily going to help you lose weight. As others said, as long as you're within your calorie goal, that's all that really matters. A balanced diet is just that, a little of everything. Veggies tend to be the lowest in calories but they won't necessarily keep you full for long. Lean protein and healthy fats (necessary) will keep you full longer. Fruits are high in sugar but it's natural and they also contain other lovely things like vitamins, fiber, etc. And carbs are going to be vital if you plan on exercising - you need them for energy.

Eat what you like, just cut down portions and stay within your calorie limits and you will lose weight.

Good luck!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Just stick with calorie counting. If you don't have any particular goals, you'll lose weight eating at a deficit regardless of what your macros are.
  • JaysWays
    JaysWays Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hey Katie! Try to find more foods with a higher protein in them. Okay so say you weigh 100 pounds try to shoot for 100g of protein. Everything else should balance out if your protein is high. Good luck to you! Just keep eating healthy and more Protein. Start your day off with less carbs. Always start your day off with a high protein breakfast. Need any other advice or help just message me.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    My main thing is finding what is healthy that can give me enough calories without giving me too many carbs, sugars, sodium, or fat.
    What in the world should I be eating to have a balanced diet. It's just frustrating.

by cutting out carbs, sugars, sodium and fat. That pretty much leaves just protein, and some vitamins and minerals. This isn't a balanced diet. Why not go for something reasonable like 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.

Otherwise pretty much just stick with a ton of lean turkey breast I guess.
  • katiescott0502
    Options

by cutting out carbs, sugars, sodium and fat. That pretty much leaves just protein, and some vitamins and minerals. This isn't a balanced diet. Why not go for something reasonable like 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.

Otherwise pretty much just stick with a ton of lean turkey breast I guess.

I don't cut them out all together. I do have a good amount of all.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Just starting out - focus on your main goal first - cal in / cal out to create deficit. Once you are accustom to that then worry about macros that fit your particular needs. The first few weeks experiment with different foods and track your mood / hunger level through out the day. This will give you an indication on what works well for you. Different foods have a different impact on people. I can have a cup of coffee and be full for hours while it makes my husband hungry..I am satisfied with lettuce & chicken while again my husband would need far more. So play around - keep track.
    At the beginning getting all worked up over the macros is too stressful - break into this easy with one thing at a time and you will do great!! :)