Classes for strength training.

Options
How many people go to strength training classes?

I went to one yesterday to try it out, and overall I enjoyed it, though very sore today, even though I was using quiet low weights on my barbell (especially compared to everyone else).

Just wanting to get a gauge on what others thought about it.

Pros:
I am more motivated in group classes
Keeps me going longer than I would if doing it myself

Cons:
Not familiar enough with routines etc. to know what weight I should be using for each exercise.
Not always 100% sure I am doing the exercise the correct way.

I did follow her instructions as much as I could, and afterwards I asked her about one thing she said that I did not understand, and the instructor gave me a good explanation.

My other option would be to get one or two sessions with a personal trainer to give me a routine, I suppose.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    That was probably body pump, not an actual strength training class.

Edited because autocorrect wants to expose me as an idiot.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It was called Radical Power, but it might be similar to Body Pump.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Classes won't necessarily teach you correct form, routine or dynamics. In my opinion they are mainly a mental boost and they keep people going.

Strength training you should be tired but not soar - strength is low reps high weights and by the end of the set you should have hit the muscle hard enough to stimulate strength but not enough for growth.
    Pain / soar means you have damaged the muscle tissue and hence repairing / growing.

Being your first class you have probably gone too heavy or too high in reps - thing however which should have been explained / monitored by the trainer.

A PT could be an option or else find a training partner (which is my opinion is the best option)!
  • Karen_LM
    Karen_LM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I purchased 10 sessions with a personal trainer, i think its done me more good than the equivalent 6 months at a gym where i never really feel like i am doing things right, and then i stop going. My time is almost up, i havent decided to go for another 10 sessions, or do something else. If i do go with the sessions, i might schedule only 1 a week, instead of 2.

She has me doing Pilates floor exercises, kettleballs, and free weights.