Wine calories

Options
Hi everyone - I'd appreciate some advice from veteran weight knowalls ;-)

Me:
Post partum with twins 5 months old (no longer bfeeding)
Height 5,7
Estimated weight region of 150 (I have not been weighing myself due to putting on muscle & the scale not budging while losing inches)
First goal: 140
Second goal: 132

I have been sick approx. 8x since the twins were born (I have an older daughter in preschool - bless her heart but she's a little germ carrier) & this has really annoyingly disrupted my progress!
I have discovered with MFP that I was eating too few calories before which is why I was not losing weight. So MPF has really liberated me by giving me more food which has allowed me to live a more balanced life. I love my wine (and skinny margeritas) - my question is, how much affect will this have on my weight loss?
I would say I have 1-2 drinks a few times a week. (not every night). MFP gives me 1460 cal (aiming to lose 0.8kg/week) & I work out 6 days a week which gives me extra. I normally use my workout calories for a glass or 2 and have been strict with counting calories.
My weight loss hasn't been that great last few weeks - could this be b/c I was sick (again) and couldn't work out or bc of the wine?

Sorry so long winded. Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 oz glass of wine about 5 times a week. It doesn't affect me that I've noticed. I sometimes log mine earlier in the day, so that I'll be sure to keep the rest of my calories in check to make room.
  • boogaloo38
    boogaloo38 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • oSummerRaeo
    oSummerRaeo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A small glass is about 120cal, large 180cal. As long as you're accounting for it within your calorie deficit, I don't see why it would effect weight loss.

:drinker:
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass or two of wine several times a week - doesn't seem to have hurt yet. If I have calories and want a glass I have it - if not - I skip it. either way I have been consistently losing so I don't worry about it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you giving yourself extra calories for breast feeding? I'm not saying this is the reason you are not losing weight, just that you should or your milk supply might suffer.

But no, just adding wine will not slow or prevent weight loss as long as you are within your calorie goals. Margaritas, while delicious, are harder to fit in.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    So long as you remain within your daily calories, having a few glasses of wine each week is not a problem whatsoever.

Yes, they are pretty much 'empty' calories: wine contains no vitamins, minerals, fiber, or macronutrients, but red wine does contain some antioxidants which are good for you.

I consider alcohol a 'treat' food. Unlike desserts and sweets, I find it much easier to control my alcohol consumption, so a drink now and again is a good treat for me.

If you enjoy in moderation, it will not hinder your weight loss.
  • boogaloo38
    Options
    Are you giving yourself extra calories for breast feeding? I'm not saying this is the reason you are not losing weight, just that you should or your milk supply might suffer.

But no, just adding wine will not slow or prevent weight loss as long as you are within your calorie goals. Margaritas, while delicious, are harder to fit in.

as above not bfeeding.
    skinny margeritas 100cal :)
  • boogaloo38
    Options
    So long as you remain within your daily calories, having a few glasses of wine each week is not a problem whatsoever.

Yes, they are pretty much 'empty' calories: wine contains no vitamins, minerals, fiber, or macronutrients, but red wine does contain some antioxidants which are good for you.

I consider alcohol a 'treat' food. Unlike desserts and sweets, I find it much easier to control my alcohol consumption, so a drink now and again is a good treat for me.

If you enjoy in moderation, it will not hinder your weight loss.

Yes that's exactly as I view it. I choose having a glass over some sweets or something dessert related.
    Thanks everyone for your advise!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Opps. Sorry. Poor reading comprehension.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I was able to drink moderately early on in my weight loss, and still lose weight as I was still running at a calorie deficit. By moderately, I'd have one drink 2-3 times a week.

However, last summer I plateaued - and I eventually (with help) figured out it was due to the drink. See, I'd go and burn a ton of calories on hours of exercise. Then I'd "reward" myself with a nice steak, and lots of red wine / vodka / beer - whatever I was craving the most. I was still technically running at a calorie deficit, but wasn't losing weight, and I couldn't figure out why. It turned out to be the booze - now, I'm not a doctor, nor am I a nutritionist, so I don't know or understand exactly how it works - I was told by my RMT (who's a total health nut) that if your liver is too busy processing alcohol, your body won't/can't lose weight. In my case, I was having a couple of drinks a night on 2 out of 5 weeknights, and then I'd drink substantially more on both Friday & Saturday nights. I was mistaken in my belief that I could "spend" my calories on anything I wanted, and that I'd still lose weight providing I stayed in the green. This is not true.

Try cutting your wine consumption back to one, maybe two glasses a week. In my case, it took me approximately 3-1/2 weeks after cutting back the drink before the results started to show on the scale. YMMV.
  • boogaloo38
    Options
    I was able to drink moderately early on in my weight loss, and still lose weight as I was still running at a calorie deficit. By moderately, I'd have one drink 2-3 times a week.

However, last summer I plateaued - and I eventually (with help) figured out it was due to the drink. See, I'd go and burn a ton of calories on hours of exercise. Then I'd "reward" myself with a nice steak, and lots of red wine / vodka / beer - whatever I was craving the most. I was still technically running at a calorie deficit, but wasn't losing weight, and I couldn't figure out why. It turned out to be the booze - now, I'm not a doctor, nor am I a nutritionist, so I don't know or understand exactly how it works - I was told by my RMT (who's a total health nut) that if your liver is too busy processing alcohol, your body won't/can't lose weight. In my case, I was having a couple of drinks a night on 2 out of 5 weeknights, and then I'd drink substantially more on both Friday & Saturday nights. I was mistaken in my belief that I could "spend" my calories on anything I wanted, and that I'd still lose weight providing I stayed in the green. This is not true.

Try cutting your wine consumption back to one, maybe two glasses a week. In my case, it took me approximately 3-1/2 weeks after cutting back the drink before the results started to show on the scale. YMMV.

Thanks for posting! I hear your point. I'm gonna try cut back & see....
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    A small glass is about 120cal, large 180cal. As long as you're accounting for it within your calorie deficit, I don't see why it would effect weight loss.

:drinker:

This. It's never affected my weight loss or maintenance. I always try to make sure it fits in my calorie goal.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Yes that's exactly as I view it. I choose having a glass over some sweets or something dessert related.
    Thanks everyone for your advise!

Same for me, I have a glass or 2 of wine and soda instead of a biscuit or cake or whatever as long as it fits in my calorie allowance. Hasn't hampered my weightloss, I'm actually almost at goal :drinker:
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    This isn't that helpful since I can't recall the source but I remember reading that alcohol gets in the way of your muscles working to their fullest potential. Like what was said previously, the body is working to take care of the liver and other parts that would have the extra energy (or whatever) don't operate at their peak.

For me personally, I abstained completely for 6 months while I was losing the bulk of my weight that needed to go. I am an all or nothing kind of girl so it's how it had to be for me. Now that I am pretty much on maintenance I binge drink about once a week and it has effected the definition of my abs. But it's worth it to me.

If you feel like you can do more (for weight loss) than DO more and cut down on the wine temporarily! But if you think you that you will feel deprived and perhaps eat other stuff not good for you then just stick with drinking in moderation.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I drank wine all the way through my 30 lb weight loss and continue to drink it as I maintain. Some people like their chocolate, ice cream, or potato chips as their indulgent snack. I like my wine. :blushing: