Canned Tuna Dinner Recipes??

Options
Hey guys, any good tried and tested canned tuna dinner recipes? Hubs had a very odd request for dinner- just anything with tuna. Normally I'd make tuna casserole, but want to stay away from the cheesey noodley goodness cuz I splurged on calories yesterday.

Any good cookin' ideas?

Replies

• lily_swenson
    lily_swenson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like tuna with curry powder and apples
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    If he said anything with tuna, why not buy tuna steaks or you know not canned tuna
  • Jenjenwashere1
    Jenjenwashere1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You could make a nice salad and toss the tuna on top - I've done that before with a vinaigrette. I also like this recipe for tuna wraps (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/mediterranean-tuna-wrap-recipe.html).
  • snappyapples
    Options
    If he said anything with tuna, why not buy tuna steaks or you know not canned tuna

I WISH he wanted tuna steaks. But he's on this whole "let's use up what's in the pantry" kick, and unfortunately I don't have tuna steaks in my pantry, so I'm pretty sure he wants canned tuna. :brokenheart:

Jenjen- those wraps look pretty delicious!! I think we might have a winner, thanks!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I have a great tuna stuffed roasted portabella mushroom recipe (super low cal, high protein and quite delicious) But I read your pantry comment so it won't work.
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Hmm... If I'm just buying portobellos I'm sure it'd fit the bill! Care to share?
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I like to do tuna salad with Greek yogurt, green apples, walnuts and avocado (and sometimes dried cherries) with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Obviously I like tart! Or you could do it "southwestern" style with Greek yogurt (again), pico de gallo, and avocado.
  • BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like to make tuna patties with them. I use:
    2 cans of chunk light tuna in water
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    Any herbs and spice that you wish

Cook them in a skillet with nonstick spray until golden brown and crispy.

The batter yields about 20 1 tablespoon size servings for about 25 cals each. They're very filling with the protein and fiber.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    tuna, miracle noodles (or whatever noodles), celery, mayo, boiled egg....maybe capers or green onions....easy...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Why not go with a classic? This is my version of Better Homes & Gardens' recipe (added more veg otherwise pretty much the same)

Tuna Noodle Casserole:
    4 oz noodles (I like using No Yolks dumplings)
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    8 oz sliced mushrooms
    1 large red bell pepper finely diced
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2 Tbsp dijon mustard
    2 cups 1% milk
    2 - 5 oz cans white tuna in water, drained
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    caesar croutons, crushed (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F. In large saucepan, cook noodles according to package and drain.

For sauce, in medium pan, cook celery, onion, mushrooms and bell pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour, mustard, and 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir (thoroughly to remove lumps) until slightly thickened and bubbly.

Gently fold cooked noodles into sauce. Add tuna and peas. Transfer to 9x13 pan that has been greased or sprayed. Top with crouton crumbs. Baked uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

P.S. The first time I made this I cooked the sauce until it seemed thick enough but it had a bit of a floury taste to me. Now I make sure to let the flour cook in the butter/veg mix for a minute or so and will also let the sauce cook a bit longer than it appears to need to. It'll get "thickened and bubbly" but instead of stopping there, I give it an extra 5 minutes or so to cook. That seemed to help with the taste/texture.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    for lunch today i'm having canned tuna, half an avocado that i mash together (acts as the mayo) on rice cakes and i pour hot sauce on top... so yum
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    soooo not a canned tuna recipe -- sorry not a fan...

but i am a fan of salmon patties/burgers.

Could you not make little burgers with the tuna? Not sure on the flavour bc salmon is not a strong tasting as the tuna... but maybe worth a shot?

1 can of tuna
    2 eggs
    1 to 1.5 cups of bread crumbs ( i usually season the bread crumbs with paprika or garlic or anything really)

pan fry till crispy on either side
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    2 eggs

The batter yields about 20 1 tablespoon size servings for about 25 cals each. They're very filling with the protein and fiber.

This is a fantastic idea and a nice change of pace from just tuna salad. i eat tuna almomst every day so these are definitely being made ASAP!
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Tuna mixed with chunky salsa on crackers!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Open a can, stick a fork in it, and drop it at his place at the table. Then announce that you're going out for something nice to eat.
  • aph1421
    aph1421 Posts: 6
    Options
    One of my go-to canned tuna recipes is a riff on a salad I had in Italy:

Greens (spring mix, spinach, or arugula)
    Cherry tomatoes
    A can of white cannelini (or navy) beans
    olive oil
    salt
    pepper

Mix the tuna, beans, tomatoes, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and then toss in the greens. Super-tasty and really satisfying.
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For a really quick snack, I enjoy canned tuna chunks stirred in to a bag of steamed rice and veggies. Yummy and super quick to make if you're in a rush.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    2 eggs

This is a fantastic idea and a nice change of pace from just tuna salad. i eat tuna almomst every day so these are definitely being made ASAP!

Switch out the flour with panko crumbs and that's a staple I make often! :D Add in a lil Coleman's powdered mustard for some face-punching heat, and it's even better. ;)