Newly wed with a problem!

Options
I'm not so much of a newly wed anymore, as our 5 year anniversary is coming up in August, but my weight issues started when I first got married.

Hello! I'm Katie! I'm married to a stick figure of a man that can eat as much as he wants and doesn't gain a pound! UGH! The first year or so of our marriage I didn't notice that I was eating as much as him. Trying to keep up I guess. It wasn't until Easter of 2011 when I realized that I had gained at least 50 lbs and have been on a steady incline ever since. I'm hoping to lose about 70 lbs. I just turned 25 earlier this month and realized that my weight gain is holding me back from a lot of things that I'd like to accomplish. It's very weird for me because I was never fat before marriage. I was actually pretty atheltic. I just got lazy and now I really need a kick in the butt. I figured I should try to keep up with MFP before I try and pay for any other services.

Would love to add some people in order to stay motivated and inspired!

Thanks!

Replies

• ibjent
    ibjent Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Friends make all the difference on here. At least for me anyway. When I tried to us MFP just to log... I didn't. I'm on a 23 day log in streak and like having people around who know what it's like to struggle and strive! FR sent! Anyone else can add me too!
  • msbklynfrankie
    Options
    You're preaching to the choir honey! I'm up almost 50 lbs since I've been married. I gained my first 10 while we were dating. Then another 10 pounds during the first month of marriage. We would end our evening my watching Frazer and eating fresh baked Toll House chocolate chip pecan cookies. YUUMMM rich, chewy goodness. Right now, I'll be happy with losing 30-40 pounds.

Friend me everyone!
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Welcome Katie! I too am married to a stick man... He is 6'3" and 150ish pounds. I have to force feed him so he doesn't lose weight. And I have alter all my meals so I don't gain weight. I have found ways to keep the two of us happily fed. FR sent!
  • SluggishSwimmer
    SluggishSwimmer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Don't feel lonely, I have the same problem with my SO. He's so tiny, can eat whatever he wants and winds up losing!
    To top it off, he's not very supportive, because he actually likes the fact that I'm bigger. :-/

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like, more support is always good! :)
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie! The exact same thing happened to me! I have gained close to 100 pounds since meeting my husband. It crept up very slowly and I before I knew it I was this weight :s

Feel free to add me as a friend, I will try my best to be there to encourge you along the way.
  • sunitar292
    sunitar292 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I know the feeling, I have been with my bf for about 4 years now and since then he has gained maybe 5 lbs while I put on a whopping 60 lbs since we met. Being a full time student and working full time at a desk does not help. I started regularly logging onto MFP about three weeks ow and have lost about 4 lbs and definitely feel motivated. A few key points I can give is

-Try to log everything you eat
    -Drink lots and lots of water!
    -Be consistent
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my wife she can eat and eat and eat, and gain nothing. Me I've put on 40 plus pounds since meeting her.

Time to fix that.

Any and everyone feel free to add me, always looking to support and motivate!
  • NereyaRanVihn
    NereyaRanVihn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your decision to change your life for the better. We're a lot of people here who struggle to better our selves. Feel free to add me. I log in every day. :)
  • tingtawn
    tingtawn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Same problem here! I worked so hard before the wedding to lose weight and tone up to look good for the wedding, and i started to relax after. So now that we are going on our honeymoon next month im trying to get back on the bandwagon, and stay there.

Feel free to add me :)
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Add me to the group who put on the newlywed 30 lbs....we need to do it for us but who doesn't want to look good for their husband/wife?
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think I actually eat more than my husband. We've been married 2.5 years and I'll be 25 in June. I've lost almost 20lbs so far and am looking for 20-30 more. Feel free to add me!

I'm currently training for my first 10K that I plan to run in May. I've always been bigger/overweight and not athletic in the slightest. In fact, I hated running in high school and then randomly got an itch to run last year.

Feel free to add me!
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same club!

I got married in June 2012 at 163 lbs
    February 2014, I decided to step on the scale, and was shocked to see it at 184! I had to do something. That's when I got serious about MFP and losing weight.

I'm now at 175 and working hard to get below my pre-wedding weight.

My husband has gained some as well, but I swear he just has to watch me work out and the weight falls off him!
  • ajmaupin
    ajmaupin Posts: 44
    Options
    My husband is 6'1" and 168 lbs.... he has been eating what i have been eating but at larger portions... he's lost more weight than i have.... completely understand where you are coming from
  • akilbourn
    Options
    Same here! I've been with my BF for a little over 2 years. He is about 6 feet tall and probably 140 lbs. I have gained close to 30lbs since we have been together, around the time we got together I also started working at a desk job, which makes it tough!! A few friends from work and I just started a weight loss challenge and we all made MFP accounts. Having the accountability and support has been helping, next weigh in will be next Monday, wish us luck!

You are in good company! Darn men and them staying stick like and eating everything.
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I suspect there aren't many families where everyone in the family has the same nutritional requirements. My college boyfriend was tall, slim, and athletic. Eating like he did definitely caused me some weight gain! I graduated from college many years ago, so that can't be my excuse anymore, but it definitely happens.

When I cook dinner at home, which is at least 6 nights a week, I plate everything in the kitchen. Each person's plate gets what that person needs. Generally, my plate has more non-starchy vegetables or a salad and no more than half the portion of starchy thing as my husband gets, and the toddler gets a token portion of things if it's something I know she won't eat. (My food policy for the kid is that I make the food, and she can choose whether or not she's going to eat it and how much she's going to eat. There's almost never dessert, and if she doesn't want to eat, so what. She's healthy. If she's hungry, she'll eat, and I refuse to turn dinner into a battle of "you have to eat this." So there are a lot of nights when she drinks her milk, pokes at her plate, then announces that she's all done.) I'll put my plate on the scale and weigh the portions to make sure I'm getting what I meant to get.

Good luck!
  • MsMischief
    MsMischief Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Eugh, my boyfriend eats literally twice as much as me (I know, I do all the cooking) - my solutions are generally just eat half as much as him. (Cook dinner for 3-4 people, fill half of my smaller dinner plate with main, roughly a third of the total & other half veggies, put the rest on his serving plate sized dinner plate.) Eat half as fast as him. (Finish eating at the same time)

Though I kinda cheat by him being a relaxed pescetarian, so most of our meals are vegetarian and healthy. (The opposite of what I enjoy cooking/eating :( I'm eating much healthier, at least)

(He's 6'3" & 12 stone/168 lbs, I'm 5'3" & 9 st 6 lbs/132 lbs)
  • BoiNeezy
    BoiNeezy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I would love u to add me I always support
  • ltgordon526
    ltgordon526 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I definitely know where you're coming from- except my DF (husband in October) is even more maddening in that he doesn't care about food or eating a lot. I don't know if that's more maddening. It would drive me crazy if he could eat a whole pizza every day like a lot of guys and not gain weight. And it's actually better for me because when I want to throw down and eat a mountain of food, he's like "meh." But living with someone who is just naturally skinny and doesn't have to worry about it drives me crazy. At least, though, he's likely to stay healthy longer because he doesn't struggle with the things I struggle with.
    Right now I'm in pre-wedding mode trying to lose a bunch, and my biggest worry is that I will get past the date and relax and start gaining again. I feel like that's the biggest motivation to form a community here, to keep me going when I want to sit on the couch and eat chocolate for three days straight.
    I'm going to send you a FR :) I'm a year younger than you but my story is similar and I'm excited to see you taking the weight off and keeping it off! ;)