Cream of Wheat

Options
liftingandlipstick
liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
So I just tried cream of wheat for breakfast. I hated it when I was a teen, but decided to give it another go- It was alright. It was more filling than oatmeal, and the serving size was larger for fewer calories. Win! I had mine with a splash of milk and a teaspoon of brown sugar, because that's how I have my oatmeal, and I didn't know what else to put in it. How do you fix yours? I'd like to branch out a bit.

Replies

• kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal in the morning, but you can do some of the same things with cream of wheat too. You can mix in fresh berries (or frozen), sprinkle a tbs of chopped walnuts or almonds, raisins, cinnamon and apples cooked in a little bit of water/lemon juice and then added to your cream of wheat. Just a few ideas. I also add about a teaspoon of maple syrup to mine to sweeten it a little bit. Good luck!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Try grits, they taste a whole lot better than cream of wheat (blech) I tried to doctor the stuff up and it still tasted awful. I toss a 1/4 cup of blueberries and a packet of stevia in my grits or I just have them completely plain. Never any milk, I stopped drinking milk last year.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I like it the same as you do - a bit of brown sugar and milk - I grew up with it that way - I would have my fruit or yogurt on the side rather than add it to the cream of wheat :flowerforyou:
  • mtec1971
    mtec1971 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love cream of wheat! I have it every other morning for breakfast during the week with a cup of tea. I trade off with my oatmeal & fix both the same, a little bit of Smart Balance, brown sugar & make it with water. That way I can use the milk/1/2&1/2 for my tea. :happy:
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    yeah we make that monday to friday just plain but with a tbsp of flax seed.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I love cream of wheat and prefer it over oatmeal, although I do eat that too. My favorite way to eat cream of wheat is with a tablespoon of French Vanilla Creamer. A little bit of creamer goes a long way and tastes so good! I measure the creamer.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    my grandma used to make me cream of wheat, with butter, cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. It was delicious. Not the healthiest way to eat it though. :laugh:
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    What is cream of wheat?! I've never heard of it. (Australia)

Google and Wikipedia have just left me more intrigued. :)
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yum. My favorite way is butter, brown sugar and milk.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    my grandma used to make me cream of wheat, with butter, cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top. It was delicious. Not the healthiest way to eat it though. :laugh:

^ mine too, good god was it tasty
  • iwant2loseten
    iwant2loseten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I add a teaspoon of vanilla to all cooked cereals along with a teaspoon of dark brown sugar and a dash of stevia before serving.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    So I just tried cream of wheat for breakfast. I hated it when I was a teen, but decided to give it another go- It was alright. It was more filling than oatmeal, and the serving size was larger for fewer calories. Win! I had mine with a splash of milk and a teaspoon of brown sugar, because that's how I have my oatmeal, and I didn't know what else to put in it. How do you fix yours? I'd like to branch out a bit.
    I'm a raisin fan when it comes to adding sweeteners. Not only does the hot cereal make the raisins plump, you get a fiber boost, too.

Now that you're an adult, you may find your tastes have changed since you were younger. There's things I like now that I used to hate and vice versa. Things I loved like Twinkies, I can't stand now.

You should definitely give things another chance. Every few years I retry food I didn't like and sometimes I've changed my mind. It's part of what makes me a foodie. :love: :glasses:
  • TeriaShae
    TeriaShae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I always add milk to mine, water just makes it so bland. I love brown sugar in mine as well. However, definitely love to add berries to it!
  • C1C2C3
    C1C2C3 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Cream of Wheat is the perfect comfort food whether for breakfast or an evening snack.

These are my go-to combinations, depending on what sounds good at the time:
    Honey and cinnamon (sometimes add nutmeg too)
    Cocoa powder and preferred sweetener (I use honey) - makes it taste deliciously rich but still healthy!
    Trade out the water for coconut milk (I use the refrigerated coconut milk, not the can - 80 calories per 8 fl oz), so good!!
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've just been making instant Cream of Wheat in the mornings because my time is so limited. I get the Maple and Brown Sugar packets, pour in a 1/4 cup of blueberries and some almond slivers, then add a pat of real sweet cream butter and mix it up. So nomnomnomnom.

If I make it on the stove, then I add butter, a dollop of cream, brown sugar, and honey.
  • mamamaar
    mamamaar Posts: 2
    Options
    Try the new banana flavored one - i don't have to add anything extra to it. YUMMY!!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    my great grandma used to make it with butter and bacon bits. that woman was a genius! ;)
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Make it with water, then stir in a bit of real butter and a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips.
  • cinnamonkitty
    Options
    My grandma did this too! Not particularly healthy but I was thin then, go figure!
  • soywoman
    soywoman Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yum! Cream of Wheat....I sometimes put fruit in it or agave nectar. splenda would be a low cal option also.