Overtraining?

Options
How much is too much? I have been going for 30min-1hr of cardio/swimming 6 days per week for the past 3 weeks. I enjoy it, it is not a drag. I have felt great during and after, with minimal soreness. I have also noticed drastic strength and endurance improvements. My weight is not dropping, however.

Am I doing something wrong? Or does this sound normal-reasonable?

I am new to physical exercise, only want to drop 15 pounds and/or get in shape. This is just unfamiliar territory for me.

Thanks for any help or advise you can give!!!

Replies

• The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    How much is too much? I have been going for 30min-1hr of cardio/swimming 6 days per week for the past 3 weeks. I enjoy it, it is not a drag. I have felt great during and after, with minimal soreness. I have also noticed drastic strength and endurance improvements. My weight is not dropping, however.

I am new to physical exercise, only want to drop 15 pounds and/or get in shape. This is just unfamiliar territory for me.

The only possible thing you could be doing wrong is eating too many calories.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

+1
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    You know when you've over-trained as you feel totally devoid of energy, everything aches and you feel cranky. I've only done it the once.

If your exercise regime is working for you, which it sounds like it is then stick to it - it sounds like a good plan. Speculation as to why you are not losing wight could be because your body is adjusting to the new routine - perhaps building muscle or repairing muscle from exercise or you could be eating too much, but if you're following the MFP programme correctly that shouldn't be the case. Sensible weight loss does take time so maybe carry on as you are and weigh in another week. Also remember to take measurements.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Just a quick observation: I went through your food diary and it seems like most days at least one thing is in the red. Try keeping things in the green and try getting more micronutrients into your daily intake (and make sure to be completely honest about what you log - a lot of people get embarrassed and will skip logging some things or underestimate just how much they're really eating - it wouldn't hurt to buy a cheapo food scale just to get the hang of true portions!).
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Are you logging EVERYTHING you eat?

I work out 7 days a week between 30 minutes and 2 plus hours, with maybe 1-2 rest days a month. If i'm not honestly logging everything, I can easily not lose weight (a bite here and a bite there adds up). It's only when I started logging every morsel that went into my mouth that I was able to drop the weight.

One other thing to consider. When you start a new exercise program, your body tends to retain water to help repair your muscles. Keep drinking water and it will eventually clear itself out.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Have you been measuring calories at all? If you haven't, have you been eating more than usual recently?

Weight loss, as I understand it, is a matter of calories in vs calories out - If you consume less calories than you burn then you will lose weight.
    So, you can either measure your calorie intake every day and reduce it (by 10% to be on the safe side) or, if calorie counting is too boring/not realistic, you can eat roughly the same diet as always but increase your physical activity.
    The former is more accurate than the latter but both, in theory, have the same end result.

If you are new to exercise then six days of 30 mins - 1 hour does sound like a lot, but if you feel ok, well, who's to stop you.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

This is just simply not true. You should check your food logging to make sure it is accurate, but cardio exercise and other life stressors can increase your cortisol levels which lowers your basal metabolism and tends to cause your body to retain fat. You can in turn starve yourself to leanness, but this is not the ideal way to do it.

You very well may be overtrained, you mentioned you are new to exercise, but you are doing cardio 6 times per week. I would suggest you look at add strength training to your regime and replace some of the cardio with resistance exercise. You cannot work your way to leanness, you can only eat your way there.

Another very good tool would be heart rate variability (HRV). There are numerous phone apps that will track your HRV which gives an excellent insight to your stress level and you can use HRV to reduce stress.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Overtraining; I am an expert at that. The feelings you describe are not overtraining. When I overtrain; I am a train wreck and I just have to take a day or two off. I can no longer function; and it hurts to stand up. So like the other posters have mentioned try weighing your food, and tracking the actual in calories. They must be lower than the out calories if you want to lose weight.
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Same as above, plus...

Get your heart rate up! It's great being out of breath but I've found I've got to work my heart to 80% of maximum heart rate... When I only work at 60%, I don't loose weight.

Get yourself a heart rate monitor if you don't already.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day. Been doing this for about the past 6 or 7 years. When sharing with others that are just starting out, I always suggest staying off the scale. It'll lie every time. You'll start noticing changes in how your clothes fit and then it won't be long before others close to you notice. Use that as a guide until you get the hang of it. Never lose motivation from an inanimate object :bigsmile:
  • erinsparin
    erinsparin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have literally been logging every single thing for 3 weeks except water, which I think I could probably drink more of. I have been weighing and measuring.

Had I not been seeing such improvements in my exercise abilities, I would be very discouraged... But this is more about fun and getting in shape than actual scale movement for me. Our YMCA has free childcare, so my workout times are like "ME time."

I think I will break out the measuring tape and start looking at inches.

So you think daily intense cardio is okay?

Thanks for the help guys!
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    I knew my very simple answer would tweak somebody lol.

The point of my post was this - your entire post is about the fact that you are exercising but not losing weight, yet you never at any point mention your caloric intake.

The caloric intake vs. calories burned is what you need to focus on to lose weight. You can exercise for 8 hours a day if you want but it won't help you lose weight if you are eating two Hardee's Triple Angus Heart Attack burgers ever day.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You'll know if you are overtraining, I did it last year; I was very very tired, sore , achey, muscles, grumpy, I lost my strength and form almost over night and then I got really run down; colds, sore throat etc.
    Personally I have found that for weight loss diet is key, you might also just might need to give yourself a bit more time to start seeing the results. Being totally honest with your food logging is so important. Do you weigh your food out ( on electronic scales) ? Do you log everything you drink? How do you measure your calorie burn from exercise, do you guess or use a hrm?
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options
    I have literally been logging every single thing for 3 weeks except water, which I think I could probably drink more of. I have been weighing and measuring.

Had I not been seeing such improvements in my exercise abilities, I would be very discouraged... But this is more about fun and getting in shape than actual scale movement for me. Our YMCA has free childcare, so my workout times are like "ME time."

Maybe a person can train so much that they hurt themselves, but I don't think a person can train so much that it slows down their metabolism.

Maybe I am wrong about that but that would be a new one on me.
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Maybe a person can train so much that they hurt themselves, but I don't think a person can train so much that it slows down their metabolism.

I know the body needs rest. Some recommend 2 days off a week and then as much as a week off after a few months. I cleaned up my diet and dropped 17 lbs in 2 months with minimal cardio, just weights and some kickboxing. I've put roughly 5 lbs back on after upping my calorie intake. It just takes time, listen to your body. It's gonna be different for everyone.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options

It -can- slow your metabolism just because your body will try slowing everything down because the excessive exercise can cause serious fatigue ... but the OP is not at the excessive point with 30 min - 1 hour of exercise 6x a week.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    Options

It -can- slow your metabolism just because your body will try slowing everything down because the excessive exercise can cause serious fatigue ... but the OP is not at the excessive point with 30 min - 1 hour of exercise 6x a week.

You wouldn't think. That chick that won the Biggest Loser was spending 6 hours a day working out.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You wouldn't think. That chick that won the Biggest Loser was spending 6 hours a day working out.

Everyone is different and it is possible to cause hormonal disregulation (excess cortisol, low T) with over exercise. The OP is new to exercise and it is possible they are overtrained and not something to dismiss entirely.

The fact that the chick on TBL was working out 6 hours a day just proves how much of an abomination that show is and I guarantee her metabolism is messed up.