Lunchbreak workout ideas

Options
Hi all! I am looking for ideas for good, quick, lunchbreak workouts. Some days, I just don't have time in the evening, and although I do my 30DS in the morning, sometimes I am looking to add a bit more calorie burn to my day.

Does anyone have some suggestions for good lunchtime workouts?

Here's what's available to me:

- a big, lovely park right around the corner (the Englisher Garten in Munich!)
- city streets, of course
- I have approx. 1 hour for lunch break (I don't need to eat in this time - I can do this later at my desk)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Replies

• nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can't go much wrong with a simple walk. I do a 45minute walk most lunch times which helps at the end of the day!
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like going just for walks on my lunch break since you don't tend to break that much of a sweat when you have to get back to work right after. When I was at a job where I had access to a shower I used to run or go rollerblading on a bike path right next to my work.
  • aggiemommy
    Options
    I agree with the walks. I go walking during my lunch break as well. We don't have showers and I don't want to go back to work gross and walking doesn't make me nearly as sweaty as other workouts. If you can find a coworker to go with you the buddy system works for us. Plus you can always power walk with weights or something if you want a little extra workout.
  • xaviernelson
    xaviernelson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The 'Englischer Garten' in Munich is a great place for a stroll during lunch. Even if it's not a 'work-out' that's going to get you breaking into a heavy sweat, getting out and moving is a great idea and since the park is so big, you can change the areas/path you take so it doesn't get boring.

You could even take that time to tune out everyone and everything and just have some 'zen-time' or me-time or maybe listen to some inspirational or self-growth type material.
  • melliebee
    melliebee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A really good way to get a high calorie burn in a short period of time without getting super sweaty and gross (most people don't have showers available after a lunchtime workout) is to find a big set of stairs and run up and down them as many times as you can. It goes by so quick and you can go at whatever pace you want. I always tried to challenge myself to do one more set than I did the time before.. :)
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    thanks! walking is a good idea - the park is perfect for it.

Sometimes I get bored while walking... but i found this walking routine from fitness magazine: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/cardio/walking/fat-burning-power-walk/
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    When I worked, eat lunch in my office and then walk for the remaining 45 mins or so. I always brought tennis shoes and walked. I also used that time to catch up on the day's personal phone calls to my mom and granny. It meant the world to me when my mom passed a year later. I missed having her to call at lunch.

I would walk just fast enough to feel it without breaking too much of a sweat. The weather is cold now so that should be good. We forget to go outside when it gets so cold.
  • OneFitLady
    OneFitLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Exercise bands are great to take with you. Then you combine a speed walk burst, stop and use the band for squats. Go back to a speed walk burst, stop and use the band for overhead presses. Continue with a burst and then a band exercise. A 30 min circuit training session can do wonders for energy to finish off the day and you get the cardio and sculpting done in one session.
  • Bzbear2
    Options
    re: onefitlady ooo, bands! great idea

re: bynsky yes! have you been here? beautiful this time of year (and kinda always..)
  • Bzbear2
    Options
    re: bynsky yes! have you been here? beautiful this time of year (and kinda always..)

no, but my hubby lived in Germany for 7 years through the military before I met him. his stories (well, the stories where he wasn't drunk anyway) and what I've read about Germany makes me want to live there. plus, the German food & beer would be a nice bonus! :drinker: probably one of the reasons you joined up here, right? :laugh:

hahhahaha yes probably

but i find the lifestyle here in general to be really healthy. lots of walking, lots of fresh food, lots of outdoor activities (hello - hiking in the alps, anyone!?)