Workout Regimen

michellehucke
michellehucke Posts: 4
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I am at standstill a right now with my goal...

My weight ranges from 118-120. I try to workout 3-4 times a week.

I'll typically run for 20 minutes on the treadmill and lift weights for about 40-45 minutes, each time I go to the gym.

I'm finally at a good place with my weight and now I'd like to trim up with some lean muscle.

Any tips or advice?

:smile:

Replies

• What's your weight lifting include? Are you using free weights or machines? Are you lifting light or heavy? Are you following a guideline like New Rules of Lifting For Women or Starting Strength by Rippletoe or something along those lines or are you just winging it? That makes a huge difference.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Don't be afraid to lift heavy. :bigsmile: So many women think they are going to bulk up, and I wish I knew who started that lie...but it won't happen.

When I lift weights while not doing a prescribed program such as P90X, I use the principles in Tom Venuto's book "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle." You can find it online and download it for a small price. Using his book, I created a program for myself where I would lift every other day and alternate muscle groups as well so that in one week I would have done a complete total body workout just split up on different days. I also lifted as heavy as I could possibly stand to do for each exercise, and I stayed between 8-10 reps. When I could make it to 11 reps, I upped my weight. If I couldn't do 8, I decreased the weight. I prefer to do 3 sets per exercise, but some people say you only need to do one concentrated set...huge debate on which is better, but I say do whatever seems to work for you cause lots of people have success with each way. Also, I try to keep my heart rate elevated while lifting weights, so it's more like circuit training that I do rather than just straight lifting. That way I get a calorie burn and a cardio effect. This can easily be done simply by hopping on a treadmill for 3-5 minutes every 15 minutes or so to make sure your heart rate doesn't fall.

Before I got slack, this is how I was able to add lean mass without gaining "weight." Basically, I was chaning my body composition and my weight stayed about the same. I stayed the same size, but you could definitely see and feel a difference in the muscle groups.
  • Thank you Lyadeia. That's exactly what I was working up to. I was also afraid of that when I was growing up and I'm male! Thankfully now I know better. Just like GI JOE teaches "Knowing is half the battle."
  • I typically do 5 sets with 15 reps for each machine I do.

I do several different machines that target abs, glutes, calves, quads, hams, bi's, and tri's.

The weight varies.....glutes, calves, quads, and hams range from 60-80lbs.

Abs around 30-35lbs. Arms will range from 12-17 lbs.

I'm not very knowledgeable of what is needed and what works.

Thank you for all the advice!
This discussion has been closed.