Anyone else shunning homemade food due to calorie confusion?

Options

Replies

• nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You are missing out jmsspr93! In general, homemade meals pack less calories per volume if you are using good foods. Basically, you get to eat more. For example, I can eat a small frozen beef and bean burrito for about 350 calories and a ton of sodium. Or, I can make one from fresh ingredients and eat the same 350 calories with WAY less sodium and a burrito that is about twice the size since I can pack it with lettuce, fresh tomatoes, spinach, and other veggie goodies. And I still get beef, beans, and a little cheese.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder. What I do with a lot of my homemade meals is that I weigh the whole recipe and if it weighs 30 oz then I say it feeds 30 people. So if I have 10 oz I record 10 servings. This gives me the luxury of being able to take leftovers and pack more or less based on my other meals.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I make mostly all homemade meals. Use the recipe builder. It can take time to enter all the ingredients, but once it's in there, it's saved. The only thing I don't like about it, is you can't edit amounts. If you need to change something, you need to delete it, then re-enter it. Other then then that I love it,

Yes, you can edit the amounts in a recipe without having to delete it and re-enter it. I do it all the time. If you are using the computer, go to recipes, then click on whatever recipe you wanted to edit and edit it. If you are using the phone app, go to settings. Then, go to edit foods and exercises. Then edit recipes, and choose which one you want to edit. You can edit serving size, amounts, ingredients, anything.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think I cook more now.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I needed to know that I can make adjustments to my recipes, even if it is just on the app.
    But why oh why can I not do that on the computer,

I hate using my phone,

I also recently found the multi-add on my phone and that option is not on my computer either.

Who to we talk to get that changed!!

For those saying to weigh the whole pot, my scale only goes up to 15 lbs, and my meals with pot are probably a lot more so that will not work for me.
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My homemade, thin pizzas r way smaller and use no butter/oil, but recipe builder says each slice is at least 100 cals more than pan Pizza Hut pizza. That's why I don't get recipe builder- I'm math challenged and just can't figure that one out.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i too love the recipe builder,
    esp since i never make the same exact recipe twice! ,
    i weigh out each ingredient and then do 1 oz or 8 oz servings ,
    and i can calculate nearly exact,

What i don't do as much anymore is dine in restaurants, there is no way of "Truly" counting calories there
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I make way more homemade food than ever using the recipe builder, or just sticking with simple things. For awhile, I relied on healthier frozen options paired with entire bags of steamed veggies for filler. This worked too.

I have avoided homemade foods that other people/restaurants make since I don't know the accurate calorie info.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Eating homemade food is what has made a huge difference in me losing weight, actually. I usually use the nutritional info in the recipe or the recipe builders. I feel much more in control when I've made what I eat.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Broken Record.....RECIPE BUILDER. Oh yes.

TIP: When using recipe builder you tell it how many servings the recipe will make. BUT it will NOT tell you what the serving size will be. So I always include that info in the recipe title. For example "Asian Chicken Coleslaw 24 One Cup Servings". The recipe builder will base the calorie/nutrient counts based on 24 servings because that is what I entered at the beginning. Then when I am adding food to my diary, I can add 1.5 servings and know that that is 1.5 cups of coleslaw. When I don't add that information in the title I have trouble remembering what I calculated as a serving size.

Do this. Ready made food is not nearly as healthy for you and will almost always be more expensive.

Good luck.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    No, I prefer it. I create a recipe in MFP and follow it exactly each time I make it. I know what's in it.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I needed to know that I can make adjustments to my recipes, even if it is just on the app.

I hate using my phone,

I also recently found the multi-add on my phone and that option is not on my computer either.

For those saying to weigh the whole pot, my scale only goes up to 15 lbs, and my meals with pot are probably a lot more so that will not work for me.

Yes, you can edit the amounts in a recipe without having to delete it and re-enter it. I do it all the time. If you are using the computer, go to recipes, then click on whatever recipe you wanted to edit and edit it. If you are using the phone app, go to settings. Then, go to edit foods and exercises. Then edit recipes, and choose which one you want to edit. You can edit serving size, amounts, ingredients, anything.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

I hate using my phone,

Just tried on the computer, I can go to the recipe and 'edit' but you can change the ingredients without deleting and adding new ones. I have recipes for salads, stir fries, and nachos and I do not use the same amount or same types of ingredients every time. The only things you can edit on the computer are deleting ingredients and changing the title or serving size which does not help me.

I will have to check what the phone app can do for me later since I have no cell reception at work.
    I refute your comment about editing serving size, amounts, ingredients, anything. :smile:
  • mwynn210
    mwynn210 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I cook at home as much as I always have; which is a lot by typical standards. A digital kitchen scale (about $20) and the recipe builder on here make it pretty easy. It does take a bit of time to enter the recipes, but it's definitely worth it to me. Cooking gives me a lot more options for foods I enjoy and I can still hit my macros as well as calories.

Totally agree. A kitchen scale is the best thing, and preparing your own food is so much healthier and cheaper. I know it's a hassle to cook all the time, so I try to do most of my cooking on Sundays - I'll make a pot of soup and use the recipe builder to plot the calories. I eat lots of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, which are super quick & easy to cook up, with a side salad or veggies & brown rice. There are so many ways to cook a healthy, diet-friendly meal, and you'll end up saving money in the long run. The best thing, for me,is that when I cook, I always know what's in my food - I never use preservatives, artificial colors or flavorings, and low amounts of sodium.

If you're stumped on what to cook, message me and I'll send you some recipes! :)
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Plus making it homemade leaves out many preservatives! Like homade coffee creamer versus store bought, i noticed a huge difference.
    PLEASE tell me how to make homemade coffee creamer!! I am a coffee fiend and waste a lot of my calories on store creamers!
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Home made all the way - I can adapt ingredients to get a larger portion & I know exactly what is in it. I just use the recipe builder. If a recipe comes in a bit high - I can plan ahead & either cut some calories out or split it into more portions.

Most pre packed ready meals i have tried are very small, not very filling & don't taste great.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    No, gross.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I hate using my phone,

Just tried on the computer, I can go to the recipe and 'edit' but you can change the ingredients without deleting and adding new ones. I have recipes for salads, stir fries, and nachos and I do not use the same amount or same types of ingredients every time. The only things you can edit on the computer are deleting ingredients and changing the title or serving size which does not help me.

I will have to check what the phone app can do for me later since I have no cell reception at work.
    I refute your comment about editing serving size, amounts, ingredients, anything. :smile:

Yep, I have the same problem on the computer, I can't edit the amount of each ingredient in a recipe on the web version. But I just found the place for editing recipes in the app--and you CAN edit the amount of each ingredient! Happy day for me! I too have been deleting each ingredient and re-adding when I use different amounts. This will be a time saver!
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Ive found myself eating ready meals as I know exactly how many calories are in it, and when I have homemade food i am anxious about eating it as I cant tell how many calories are in it.

Ready meals are pumped full of chemicals, so the answer is no. I eat at home all of the time, and that's how I like it. I use references for foods I'm not entirely sure of, and it doesn't take long at all. I know how to cook healthy so it's a non-issue. I would buy a food scale because that will help immensely. Good luck
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would rather be fat than have to eat frozen meals. I love the recipe builder! That and creating a food to enter my juice has been a lifesaver for me.