Will my deficit eventually change?

Options
aribugg
aribugg Posts: 164 Member
As i lose weight and speed up my metabolism, eventually 1490 calories in a day wont be enough to feed me. so i was just wondering if MFP adjusted to that as weight changes and time goes on? for the time being, im perfectly fine with that much food. but i know i'll need to eat more later on.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's the other way around... as you lose weight, your metabolism slows down. But you can exercise or build muscle (which you can't do at a deficit) to increase the number of calories you burn in a day.

But anyway, as you update your weight, it will eventually tell you to update your goal, and you will lose calories.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    ^^ ditto to what she said.

Also, as a rule of thumb you can adjust your calories every 5-10lbs if it doesn't prompt you.
  • deanne6019
    Options
    Less weight=less calories to keep you at that weight! I think your calories allowed goes down about 70 for every ten pounds-something like that.
  • aribugg
    Options
    and again, i hit a milestone and i have no clue what im doing. I do exercise and build muscle... and i am aiming for fitness as well as weight loss. ugh, now i just feel like im doing something wrong and i dont even know what im supposed to ask.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    It's the other way around... as you lose weight, your metabolism slows down. But you can exercise or build muscle (which you can't do at a deficit) to increase the number of calories you burn in a day.

But anyway, as you update your weight, it will eventually tell you to update your goal, and you will lose calories.

This is true. HOWEVER, as you get closer to your goal you will likely want to choose to slow down your weight loss and reduce your deficit. That will give you more calories to eat. And when you reach your goal will will get more calories yet.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I started here eating to a 2lb deficit but when I'd lost a lot of weight and a lot of daily calories I switched my goal to 1.5lbs a week so that I was still getting enough to eat to meet my appetite. You may find that'll help you too. It's better to lose more slowly than to give up because you're finding it too restrictive. Exercise calories are a great way to fund nicer meals and snacks :-)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    After every 10 lbs lost, MFP should ask if you wish to reconsider your goals. As you lose weight, you'll want to select smaller weekly weight loss goals. For example, when you have 12 lbs or so to lose, choose the 0.5 lb option. Also, as you get close to your goal, your calories may actually increase.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    and again, i hit a milestone and i have no clue what im doing. I do exercise and build muscle... and i am aiming for fitness as well as weight loss. ugh, now i just feel like im doing something wrong and i dont even know what im supposed to ask.

Hate to break it to you but you're not building muscle. I won't say that people can't, under the right circumstances, build a teeny bit of noob gains from lifting/resistance training if you're very overweight when you start but it won't be much.

As far as calories. The smaller you are, the less energy you require. That's just how it works. The more muscle you retain by losing weight slowly, the better but it isn't going to increase. You might be able to retain a decently high maintenance in the end if you do it right. I'm 115 lbs and maintain around 2k, so there's that possibility. If you want to gain muscle, you need to be in a surplus and focus on resistance training/heavy lifting
  • aribugg
    Options
    I do plan on changing it from 2 pounds to one when i get closer. I'm thinking about doing it in another 20 or so pounds (i'll be about 165) because then i'll be thirty pounds away from my healthy weight. is that bad idea though?
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Hate to break it to you but you're not building muscle. I won't say that people can't, under the right circumstances, build a teeny bit of noob gains from lifting/resistance training if you're very overweight when you start but it won't be much.

As far as calories. The smaller you are, the less energy you require. That's just how it works. The more muscle you retain by losing weight slowly, the better but it isn't going to increase. You might be able to retain a decently high maintenance in the end if you do it right. I'm 115 lbs and maintain around 2k, so there's that possibility. If you want to gain muscle, you need to be in a surplus and focus on resistance training/heavy lifting

What he said. Not to mention, unless you're morbidly obese, you need to choose between building muscle or losing weight. Muscle weighs more than fat; if you lose some fat plus build some muscle you may not see any difference on the scale. This is why it's important to take measurements as well as (instead of?) weigh yourself. You might find you are losing fat inches while maintaining your weight by building muscle.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I do plan on changing it from 2 pounds to one when i get closer. I'm thinking about doing it in another 20 or so pounds (i'll be about 165) because then i'll be thirty pounds away from my healthy weight. is that bad idea though?
    Personally, with 47 lbs to go, 1.5 lbs per week is more suitable for you at this time. When you get to about 30 lbs left, 1lb is reasonable.
  • aribugg
    Options
    Personally, with 47 lbs to go, 1.5 lbs per week is more suitable for you at this time. When you get to about 30 lbs left, 1lb is reasonable.
    okay, thank you! :]
  • aribugg
    Options

What he said. Not to mention, unless you're morbidly obese, you need to choose between building muscle or losing weight. Muscle weighs more than fat; if you lose some fat plus build some muscle you may not see any difference on the scale. This is why it's important to take measurements as well as (instead of?) weigh yourself. You might find you are losing fat inches while maintaining your weight by building muscle.

I weigh myself and take measurements. i recently started focusing more on cardio exercises for this reason, but i dont want to give up all other strength training.. at the very least, i can maintain the strength i do have, right?
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

What she said. Not to mention, unless you're morbidly obese, you need to choose between building muscle or losing weight. Muscle weighs more than fat; if you lose some fat plus build some muscle you may not see any difference on the scale. This is why it's important to take measurements as well as (instead of?) weigh yourself. You might find you are losing fat inches while maintaining your weight by building muscle.

I weigh myself and take measurements. i recently started focusing more on cardio exercises for this reason, but i dont want to give up all other strength training.. at the very least, i can maintain the strength i do have, right?

Absolutely keep up strength training. You can gain strength in a deficit. Strength gains =/= muscle building. It'll be slower but you can do it!