Anti-depressants effect weight loss?

Options
I was just recently put on Zoloft for my anxiety and low depression and i'm nervous about the weight gain or it causing me to not be able to lose. My wedding is in 7 months and i'm trying to really focus on losing and toning! I'm hoping that by being on the medication i'll have more motivation to do things. (i've been on zoloft before and know that works!)

Any advice from anyone who may have dealt with this?

Thank you!
Julia

Replies

• aznikigirl21
    Options
    I started taking Zoloft and actually had some weight loss. It took away my appetite for a while but I have not had any weight gain from this. I think as long as you are exercising and eating right, this should not affect your goals.
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Actually, the side effects can vary from person to person. Some people lose their appetites and lose weight!

Hope the countdown to your wedding is more exciting than stressful. =) My husband and I just celebrated 18 years yesterday!
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have taken zoloft in the past and another anti-depressant and while on both I experinced weight loss! Not only that but it did make me feel better so I enjoyed going out to the gym.
  • wanderinghorn
    Options
    I gained a LOT of weight on zoloft! I mean A LOT. I was on it after my son (who is 13 now) was born. I had PPD. Before that I was always between 140-170. I got up to 248. I was on it for three years. I have never been back down to below 190 since. Zoloft is an amazing drug to help you temporarily thorugh rough patches in your life. Even though I knew I was risking gaining weight, I still took it again when my husband deployed. Really look at the benefit vs. risk. If you are seriously depressed really zoloft does help and you shouldn't be worried about weight. However, if it is mild you may really need to look into something that will not have the determental effects it will have on you. I got kidney stones, my thytoid shut down, I had absolutely no sexuality at all and was pretty much an emotional zombie. I couldn't cry. I was on a very high dose. As far as the people who lose or maintain on the drug--each person is different. I did exercise every day and was dieting. It was not until I got off the drug that I was able to lose. Each person is different...just remember that! My doc finally got me off of it when we were considering gastric bypass surgery! I got off the meds-changed NOTHING else and started to lose. You are going to get a lot of advice-your body is different from anyone else's. Only you can decide what is best for it, but I did want to put out my cautionary tale. It is also difficult to quit taking it.
  • lbrossano
    lbrossano Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A lot of the psych meds can make it harder to lose weight. I am on risperidone which has a side effect of weight gain (from stimulating your appetite and slowing down your metabolism), but this site works for me. If you keep track of what you are eating and doing for exercise you will lose weight. This is the only thing that has worked for me. I have lost almost 30 pounds. The anti-depressant should help with feeling more energetic. Stick with it and you'll be good. Good luck.
  • christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been on 25mg/day of Zoloft for 6 weeks now for anxiety. I haven't gained on it but I have noticed that I have to work alot harder to get my excess weight off. Keep watching your caloric intake & add a little more cardio in to your workouts and you'll be fine!

Goodluck & congrats on your upcoming wedding xx
  • onetxjewel
    onetxjewel Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of your responses!!! I have actually noticed that I don't have much of an appetite which has helped me stop eating when i'm full!

Thanks again!!!
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was on Zoloft a number of years ago and it caused me to immediately gain weight. It also made me feel empty and emotionless. I hope it works for you, out of all of the antidepressants i've been on Zoloft was the worst. Take care!
  • perfectionxforever
    Options
    i've been on zoloft for about 4 years now [with a brief period of stopping and switching around some meds last year, but i of course ended up back on zoloft, thank god]. it has changed my life and made me a much happier person. i can't remember the last time i got a panic attack. i haven't really noticed much change in weight, i am 18 and have been on it since i was about 14/15 soo i obviously have gotten taller/gained weight & muscle since then but i still feel like i look the same that i did back then.

best of luck to you and congrats on your wedding!
    i hope you can have the same life-changing experience that zoloft has given me =]

ALSO, fyi, i am on [and always have been on] what can be considered a high dosage. sooo don't let dosage discourage you either!