Best workout DVD's for home? Old & New

Options
Looking for suggestions for work out videos at home that people like. :)

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love my turbo jam DVD's! So much fun... next purchase is Turbo Fire I am assuming those are just as fun as the the Turbo Jam
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I love ChaLEAN Extreme. It is a lot of weight training. You will not believe how toned you get with it. Also Turbo Jam is good too. That is more cardio based.

Both of them are kinda pricey you can always check on craigslist for good deals on them. :)
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the 30 day shred! (day 20 today) So much so that I've just ordered 2 more of Jillian Michales dvd's. Can't wait to try them out!
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    "Insanity" by Team Beach Body, "Yoga Meltdown with Jillian Michaels," "10 Minute Solutions: Pilates," "Billy's Blanks Tae-Bo," and for an oldie but goodie "Paula Abdul's Get Up and Dance."

Best wishes :smile:
  • OneFitLady
    OneFitLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My favs for hoem workouts are:

Jari Love Ripped Series (old school, loads of reps, effective DOMS)
    Kelly Coffey (the woman knows weights, 1/2 hour segments great for a powerful shorter exercise)
    Ilaria (my oh my, the pushups are sure to make you stronger, the body strikes although seemingly repeative kick butt)
    Amy Dixon (Women's Health series, has to be Amy Dixon, the chick has spunk and motivates throughout)

Here are some titles:

ASAP Band Camp (if you have bands, this one is a must, the combos are the bomb)
    Slo Mo (HEAVY weight training at it's best, Amy is wonderful at giving cues on this one)
    Taebo (Billy inspires me, what can I say)
    Iron Yoga (Kick up a Yoga practice with weights, LOVE this one)
    Pulse Yoga (not only uses weights makes you move along with it)
    Reach (amazing what the little unknown muscles can do and feel like after a little reaching)

Have fun!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I completed 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels.. I followed through doing the workout everyday for 30 days and still use it for when I don't have time for the gym or don't feel like going to the gym.

I just tried her No More Trouble Zones which was a bit longer, almost an hour compared to the Shred which is only 25 minutes. I have her Banish Fat dvd as well, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. All her dvds are 'circuit' type though which I like because there is variety and it goes by fast!

Others I have heard of but haven't done yet are Turbo Fire, Insanity, and Chalean extreme.
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ok, it's a bit love-it-or-hate-it, but I absolutely SWEAR by Leslie Sansone's "walking" DVDs. Why they are love/hate workouts:

--Very very simple, just some idiot-proof moves like marching in place and side steps.
    --Leslie is extremely perky, cheerful, and chatty.

These two aspects of her workouts are why I and many other fans love her DVDs - but they are also exactly why those who hate them hate them. I'm a klutz who like encouragement - other people may get bored by those moves or prefer a tougher, quieter, or more serious instructor.

But yeah... I freaking love these workouts. I've tried a bunch and they are the only ones that consistently leave me feeling energized and positive, never frustrated or worn out. (Ok, almost never - and that's just when I'm in a bad place to begin with.) My very favorite ones are Walk Away The Pounds Express, but she has several other series, going back to the late '80s or early '90s I believe.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I love any DVDs by Chalene Johnson (epecially ChaLean Extreme and TurboFire), Jari Love (gotta second the other poster about the Get Ripped! Series.. they are great), most Jillian Machaels workouts are good.. my faves are Banish Fat Boost Metabolism and 30 Day Shred, I also like Tae-Bo, Insanity, and P90X.

I usally rotate all of my workouts between these in additon to going to the gym a 2-3 times a week.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    For shorter intense workouts I like 30 Day Shred. Not following it exactly as intended but it's working. Arms are getting toned. Love Turbo Fire but you have to be careful if you have knee or back troubles. I don't follow the schedule exactly with that either but it's more about the doing than what you are doing...just move it. For beginners, the Slim in 6 series is a great one to start with but after doing Turbo Fire it's a little too slow paced for me.

30 day shred is great if you are on a budget...about $10 at Wal-Mart. The Turbo Fire and Slim in 6 series are a bit expensive.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I love Ellen Barret's pilates videos, in particular I love her Pick Your Spot Pilates.

I also am a Sara Ivanhoe fan. She's so soothing when doing yoga. I love both her Joy of Yoga and Fat Burning Yoga DVDs.

If you want something fun/interesting try the Bellydancing series videos. I like the ones with the twins Veena and Neena. Your abs definately feel it the next day and you get a fun, light cardio workout too.

My favorite workout video has got to be Kathy Lee Gifford's Feel Fit and Fabulous. Yes, I know Kathy Lee?*LOL* But the video is a neat mixture of cardio and weights and I always feel it afterwards.

Shannon
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I love the 10 min solutions and leslie sansone walking dvds
  • c2jvintage
    c2jvintage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love the Pit workout, it is challenging and pretty hardcore. It combines shadow boxing, bag work, and strength training using your own body weight. The Pit comes with 2 DVDs, three workouts (upper, lower, full). Each workout is about an hour...you can customize it to fit ability level. There are a ton of push-ups, kicking, punching, burpees, etc. Not for the weak of heart! I like how it combines cardio and strength. Annnnnd it is about $20 online :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Anything by Chalene Johnson (Turbo Fire, ChaLean Extreme, Turbo Jam) or Cathe Freidrich. Both are incredible!
  • Ashley11292
    Options
    I love my ZUMBA fitness!!!! It is a little expensive but its worth it!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Sweet Thanks everyone! My Christmas list just got a whole lot longer!