finding your goal weight

Options
I've been spending lots of time on here today trying to figure out how people choose their target weight. I know what I weighed in HS and that's not realistic, and I know that the BMI charts say I should weigh between 120-160 pounds.....that 40# to choose from! I was feeling super frustrated, as I'm being told that I'm looking good and should lose any more weight and still being 20# over where I picked for my goal weight. Anyway, I have spent most of my morning looking for guidance on choosing a realistic goal weight and I have finally found something that takes several factors into consideration. So.....if you're looking for help trying to decide on a realistic goal, check this out. BTW, I have no personal interest in this site or receive anything but a good solid reality check LOL

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

Replies

• mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well for my height my weight should be anywhere from 104-140. I think 104 is WAYYYYY too skinny for me, I like my curves and I don't want to lose them ever. I didn't want to be at the higher end so right now I'm going for 130.

Then after that i'll try for 125.
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    "I like my curves and I don't want to lose them ever." Same here! Interesting site, thanks for posting. Looks like I picked a good weight to shoot for.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! It's nice to know I did a good job picking a number! LOL
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Really helpful site! This is right on target with my goal of 143...I NEVER thought I'd be back at this weight since I haven't weighed this little since high school BUT it is possible and I will reach it (hopefully by March 6th if I stick to my plan)!!!

Thanks for posting!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I have been finding it difficult to decide on a goal weight. This helps me stop and think about what's really the best weight for my health and gives me an idea of what others think about it too. I am not looking to lose too much weight and be unhealthy at too low of a weight. (I never thought I'd say that). Whew.

Thanks again!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Interesting information...thanks for posting.
  • mapinkerton
    Options
    Doctor told me I needed to lose AT LEAST 30 lbs and get some exercise. So my initial goal is 30 lbs. According to the BMI calculator that is still overweight for my height. I am figuring I will need to lose another 5-10 lbs. That will be my 2nd goal.

Mary
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    My initial goal weight is 10 lbs more than the site said it should be. LoL. I know eventually I'd like to be down to129 like it suggests, but I don't see that happening anywhere in the near future. My husband and I plan to try for a baby next year, and if we're successful, I'll be starting back at the beginning of this journey. I just want to be able to feel good about myself and know that I'm healthy. That's my goal.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

Interesting information...thanks for posting.

it said my ideal weight 111 - 146 lbs, diffently dont want to go below 135, i'm 154 now & 5" 4'
  • Gypsy_Kitty
    Gypsy_Kitty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Interesting site - nice to see that I was almost spot on with my goal weight of 175 (the People's Choice Ideal Weight had me at 172).
  • alyz
    alyz Posts: 41
    Options
    Wow. My goal right now is 140 lbs...I am considering making it 135, but that site is telling me that I should shoot for 127. wow. That's really low for me. That's a good reality check though. I will definitely be shooting for the 135 now. We'll see where it goes from there. thanks for the info!
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanx!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    The website isn't based on any information other than polling people... and if you have a lot to lose it isn't even going to give you a healthy weight! I know I still have 80 to lose here (at least)... I'm at 210, aiming for 130 just to be at a healthy weight... the website gave me 148 as a goal weight. Um... that is still overweight. I'd love to be there right now, but it is still overweight.

When I put that 148 in as my current weight... it gives me 123 as an ideal weight (mid-range ideal weight by BMI) When I put in something absurd like 99 pounds (the lower limit of a "healthy weight" according to BMI), it gives 103 as the ideal.

Anyway... just wanted to put that out there.

Right now my goal is just to get to a healthy weight by BMI. I haven't been at that for over 10 years, so once I get there I'll re-evaluate. I'm not sure it is ideal or possible to get back to my college weight, but I can try for 5 pounds at a time and see. At that point, it isn't going to be about the weight anyway... it will be more about getting healthier and more fit.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I went to that site and found there are a variety of "choices". It all depends upon how the individual feels their IBW should be in which they function best. Height and weight are not the only factors. Body frame, including bone sizes, play an important part in the factoring.

According to the tables, which do not take into account that I have a small boned body frame, I feel I am still "overweight" at those levels. I function best when my weight is stabilized between 105-110 lbs. and, at that size, I have nearly no incidents of arthritic pain. At my present size, I need to take OTC medication almost every night at bedtime. At 105-110 lbs. my energy levels are much higher and I'm able to be much more active.

I bookmarked the site and, if you don't mind, will share it with others who may be interesting in checking for themselves.

:) Claire
  • MyViolet
    MyViolet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great site. I picked a good weight. When it considers my small frame, I picked one pound over their lowest recomendation. When I got married I was all of 105#. Most of the time I felt pretty tired and yucky. I do not need to be that low. When I put on 10# I felt so much better so that is what I am shooting for now.

Thanks!
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I originally said I just wanted to get down to 135 (I'm 5'4" and started at 152). I was 2 lbs. overweight at the time according to BMI, but also developing cancer cells and pre-diabetes.

I dropped 5 lbs. and got rid of the cancer cells and pre-diabetes.
    I've now dropped nearly 20 lbs. (134 lbs currently) and would still like to tone and get rid of some pudge.
    I recently had a comp test done and I'm still not where I want to be body fat %-wise, so that will be my motivator. I know now what I need to weigh to get down to 15% body fat, so that's what I'm shooting for.

Now I know I need to lose about 8 more lbs.

I think you just start losing and when you reach your goal ask yourself "am I healthy and happy here or is there more that I want?". If there's more that you want from your body, start figuring out what you need to do to get there.

The website has me at (Robinson formula) 123 lbs. That's a bit lower than I'd like to be, but again do-able. It sounds about right.