hiking shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• oBuckethead
    oBuckethead Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use these (and have put about 150 miles on them of various terrain and temperatures)

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Wings-Sky-GTX-Asphault/dp/B006W1ZXI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395173778&sr=8-1&keywords=salomon+wings+sky+gtx+2

And I can honestly say they're the best hiking boot I've ever owned and I've owned pretty much every brand under the sun.
  • oBuckethead
    oBuckethead Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I started hiking last summer and just wore regular shoes. This year I plan to hike a mountain every weekend as soon as the weather turns around. I am looking for any tips on picking out a good pair of hiking shoes/boots. All I know now is that they will need to be water proof because last year the trails were very wet early in the year.

So what brands and styles do you like and dislike?

It all depends on your terrain, support you need, comfort level, etc. Personally for me I like a boot over a shoe and I want light weight and waterproof which is why I went with the Salomons that I posted. I own two pairs of Merrells shoes but IMO they're not good for rougher trails due to ankle roll. Yes they make boots, but compared to other brands (such as Salomon) they're way heavier.

I don't personally like Keens because they're a bit more bulky than most (again just my opinion from the ones I've owned). If you're going to be doing casual day hikes, you probably don't need anything crazy so a pair of mid high Merrells that are waterproof are probably fine.

Your best bet is go to an outdoor store like Rei or EMS and try on a bunch and see how they feel. Don't forget you're going to be wearing them for a while when hiking so if you think they feel too uncomfortable or heavy in the store, remember you'll most likely have them on your feet for a couple hours at a time in uneven terrain when hiking.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I'm not a serious hiker but wanted to chime in with yet another big yes to Keens!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Merrill boots are my favorite. They are comfy, supportive and last. I worked as a naturalist and hiked frequently as recreation so I wore my first Merrell boots constantly for probably six years before they bit the dust. And I love Smartwool socks. They're pricey but last. I wear them year round with all shoes.
    Just like with running shoes, make sure they're comfy in the store, whatever brand you end up with. They might feel awkward if you're not used to boots but they shouldn't hurt.
    Enjoy your hikes!
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    As a footnote (see what I did there?), the reason I don't care for Keens has been previously stated: they feel more bulky on my feet. I prefer Merrell due to being lightweight with the awesome vibram outsoles.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    As a footnote (see what I did there?), the reason I don't care for Keens has been previously stated: they feel more bulky on my feet. I prefer Merrell due to being lightweight with the awesome vibram outsoles.

I don't find my keens any bulkier then my Merrills, or Asolo's ever were.

Maybe you are looking at the wrong keens!

ETA : aren't opinions crazy sometimes
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Screw hiking boots. Screw hiking shoes.

Trail runners!

I'm using a pair of New Balance right now. Good for me doing 25 mpd with a 4.6 kg base weight (just under 10 lbs, but I weigh all my stuff in grams cause its easier), in the Sierras and White mountains. Not the lightest shoes though, 700 grams for men's size 11. I'm trying to find someplace that stocks Inov8 trail runners for me to try out.

If your carrying the kitchen sink, you need stability of a boot. You shouldn't carry the kitchen sink though!

Water proof? Nope. IMHO Good way to get trench foot. Your feet need to dry out, waterproofing will fail - even if it's water coming in the top. If the shoe is waterproof, water isn't getting out either.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I finally realized that there wasn't one pair of hiking foot wear that would do everything, and sucked it up and bought a good pair of trail runners AND a pair of hiking boots. Hiking shoes are very idiosyncratic - the best ones are the ones that fit you best. My new favorite brand is Vasque, for both excellent trail runners and quality reasonably affordable hiking boots.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a set of Red Wing steel toe hiking boots for my job in an open pit Mine when I was on the ground a lot. They had great tread and fit like a glove. I did go to the shop in Red Wing, MN (down the street from the factory) so they had all of the sizes because my feet are shaped differently.

Honestly, go with what feels good and makes you want to hike.