Exercise induced asthma

Options
I've done some research and believe I have exercise induced asthma. Unfortunately I don't have health insurance, so I can't go get an inhaler. Does anyone take a natural vitamin to help with this? It only occurs when I run for really long periods of time and usually only outside. I read that fish oil can help. Any other ideas? Just something I can find at the pharmacy.

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I've done some research and believe I have exercise induced asthma. Unfortunately I don't have health insurance, so I can't go get an inhaler. Does anyone take a natural vitamin to help with this? It only occurs when I run for really long periods of time and usually only outside. I read that fish oil can help. Any other ideas? Just something I can find at the pharmacy.

A nice slow warm-up before taking off at full throttle is key. Coffee with caffeine...

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/features/athletes-guide-exercise-induced-asthma

Albuterol, but I understand about your health insurance. It still wouldn't hurt to pay out of pocket for a doctor's visit and get a prescription to have on hand - espeically as a rescure if needed.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Albuterol, but I understand about your health insurance. It still wouldn't hurt to pay out of pocket for a doctor's visit and get a prescription to have on hand - espeically as a rescure if needed.

I agree with this. A generic bronchodialator will not be overly expensive if you can visit a quick care clinic and just explain you are only struggling when you exercise. My workouts are crap without a pretreat (10 min or so before I hit any cardio) but as I get back into shape, I need it less and less. I completely got over my exercise induced asthma last summer (too bad I let my workouts lapse!) as I got stronger. But without the inhaler at first, life would have been miserable and I likely would not have continued.
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    MADDIESMOMMY6611 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I will see how much a visit is - I've felt this before with every sport I've ever done, but it only happens when I really push myself. Does that mean it's triggered by high intensity?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Inhalers are like $20-25.. not trying to make light of your situation but it is worth scrounging the change and getting the inhaler. Go to a walk in clinic and explain your symptoms.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If it is only happening outside it might be attributable to allergies. Which is triggering the asthma. If you have exercise induced asthma it would be triggered by any vigorous exercise you do inside or out. I would try an otc allergy med such at zyrtec which broad spectrum allergy control then move on to inhalers. They do sell otc inhalers Primetine Mist they are located behind the pharmacy counter (depending on your state) and you can ask for one without a prescription.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I will see how much a visit is - I've felt this before with every sport I've ever done, but it only happens when I really push myself. Does that mean it's triggered by high intensity?

No one here can really say for sure as we are not practising physicians. It's important for you to try and see a doctor so you can explain your symptoms. There is a difference between being out of breath when pushing yourself and having asthma. It's easy to read stuff online and self-diagnose but I would recommend again to see someone who knows what they are doing.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I always had exercise-induced asthma growing up and played a lot of sports, so I relied pretty heavily on an inhaler. However, as someone above mentioned, mine didn't matter whether it was indoors or outdoors - it was triggered by the intensity and duration. So, I would 2nd the opinion of the earlier poster about seeing if it has to do with your allergies, since it's only outdoors that you get your symptoms. If an OTC allergy medicine doesn't help at all, then I would suggest seeing your doctor. If it is asthma, an inhaler is definitely the best thing to have - I wouldn't chance it. Hope you get it all figured out!
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    Options
    I am not worried about the inhaler cost, but the cost for a Dr. visit out of pocket is $100 or more. I will try a walk in clinic, I didn't think they'd be able to give me an RX for something like asthma. My entire family suffers from asthma so I'm not surprised, was just hoping someone had a natural remedy that I could try first before consulting with a doctor.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'd just find a place where you can get an inexpensive doctor visit and get an inhaler. They're cheap and easy to get a prescription for, and they're really the best solution to your problem.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options

The intensity would be different for everyone. And for me, I know the difference between being out of breath from working hard, and asthma, because the asthma will make it feel like I can't even get the air OUT of my lungs, to get fresh oxygen in. And I'll feel that attack for an hour or more after exercise, even once my heart rate is completely calmed down. With a family history, it's very likely that you are dealing with asthma.

But, as someone else said, none of us are MD's. The clinic should be able to help. They may not give you a year long refill on it, but should be able to get you started with a rescue inhaler. It's definitely worth it!
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Doesn't sound like exercise induced asthma. If it were it'd affect you pretty fast and with any kind of exercise. I have to take mine 20 minutes before I do anything or I will be wheezing terrible and look like a cherry. Maybe there are different levels of it but that's what mines like.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Well, yes and no. I do have asthma and use a daily Singulair to control it.

And I race bikes, so for me - the exercise induced kicks in due to very high intensity/sustained efforts. I don't really feel it until after the race is over and some subsequent hacking ensues and continues for a couple of hours before it all settles down.

Everyone is different and it could be set off by dust, cold, pollen, effort, etc... . But, yes, I can relate to only the high intensity stuff setting mine off as it is not set off by lower intensity (HR/Power Zone 1/2) for me.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Doesn't sound like exercise induced asthma. If it were it'd affect you pretty fast and with any kind of exercise. I have to take mine 20 minutes before I do anything or I will be wheezing terrible and look like a cherry. Maybe there are different levels of it but that's what mines like.

It's different for different people. I don't get any problems unless I go for 60+ minutes of moderate/high intensity cardio, and even then I just get fairly mild wheezing (noticeable enough for me to get an inhaler though). For shorter workouts, even HIIT, I don't really notice it, which is probably why it went unnoticed for most of my life.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Asthma is not something to play around with. I use my inhaler 15 min before exercise, it does help. I always carry it with me when running. Though not often, asthma attacks can be fatal, pay out of pocket for a visit and inhaler.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    When my allergies are worse, my EIA is worse. If you have seasonal allergies and those are uncontrolled, try getting them under control and see if that helps.

That being said, if I go for a jog over 1.5 miles or go into a session with my trainer without using my ProAir, I'm a mess. I'd pony up and grab an inhaler.
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    Options
    Yeah it's weird for me, I can run at 5.0 on the treadmill for a mile and no attack. If a run outside (where I can't determine how fast I'm going) I get a heavy feeling in my chest, feel like a have to spit a lot, and eventually get phlegmy and wheezy. Since it's happened in a pool from swimming, I'm going to assume it isn't allergies.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    An indoor pool?
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    Options
    Yeah in high school I was on swim team for 3 years and remember pushing myself in relay racse and feeling the same way. As I built endurance, it happened a lot less. I just never thought it was asthma because it went away as I got stronger, but now I'm seeing that that can happen with asthma.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have EIA and I hate take meds... but will take it in this case. I've scoured natural and homeopathic remedies and just NONE of them touch asthma.

If allergies are contributing, then controling allergies helps. If environmental things are contributing then changing the environment helps.

Cold, dry, outdoor air is the worst on asthma (causes airway to constrict) so anything you can do to breathe in other air...

But ultimately if its asthma, meds are the only best option :( I'm sorry to say.

Good news is- when I finally admitted it and started treating it, I suddenly found I could actually WORK OUT! WOW!