Crunchy Work Snacks

Options
Any ideas for some healthy delicious snacks that will cure my chip cravings?

Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    its not super good for you but for a treat I like sweet and salty popcorn. 3 cups is like 250 calories!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Almonds, pistachios...
  • SarahHensLew
    Options
    Red and yellow peppers work for me!
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Carrots with hummus.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Pop corn, pop chips, rice cakes, almonds, dried fruit.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Kale chips, they are my new obsession!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I like to eat baby carrots and ranch, or sugar snap peas and ranch.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you have good self control, veggie chips are good. If you don't (and are like me), frozen corn is actually quite good. I just take a bag of it out of the freezer and start munching away. It's a good movie time snack.
  • JenniferJls
    Options
    celery with salsa!
  • SolitudesMuse
    SolitudesMuse Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I like Skinny Popcorn... It comes in Original, Black Pepper, Ultra Light White Cheddar, & Naturally Sweet.

The Original is 35 calories per cup.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Here's a good seasonal one for spring. Requires a bit of prep, but can be taken to work in a commuter coffee mug and eaten directly from it cold.

Cold blanched asparagus with peanut dipping sauce.

1. Make the peanut sauce: 2 tbsp peanut butter (or I use a blend of 1 tbsp peanut butter + 6 grams of PB2 to cut the calories a bit), 1/2 tbsp each of soy sauce, lime juice, and hoisin sauce). Put in the bottom of your commuter mug.
    2. Blanch or parboil the asparagus spears in simmering water for just 3 minutes. Remove drain, rinse with cold water, and chill immediately.
    3. Put cold asparagus spears in commuter mug and take to work. Snack at will.

If blanching the asparagus sounds too much like cooking, cold cucumber spears and/or carrot sticks are also nice with this dip.

To cut calories more you can replace the dipping sauce with a peanuty salad dressing (add say, 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter to 2 tbsp of a light vinaigrette or Asian-style salad dressing). I'm one of those weird people who has to make an effort to keep my dietary fat HIGH enough so I never feel bad about eating MOAR PEANUT BUTTER.

On that note, another very satisfying crunchy snack for work: apple slices with peanut butter. YUM.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with salt sometimes too, not just just crunch. I've found hummus and celery (though not together as much) hit that salt spot best. I like sugar snap peas, carrots, and bell peppers for crunch. :) Sometimes I mix and match - my current favorite is red bell pepper strips with roasted red pepper hummus! Yum!
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Two cuties mandarin oranges and 12 dry roasted almonds with sea salt. Eat a section of orange with an almond and be prepared for your new favorite snack. I usually eat this for breakfast. at 148 calories with fiber, protein and omega 3's. For some reason the crunchy salty almond and the sweet orange create an incredibly satisfying snack that stays with you for an inordinate amount of time.
    I have shown this to everyone at work and they all have been baffled by never having discovered this before. If you really want to feel decadent use the dry roasted almonds that have been rolled in cocoa powder.
  • ladyace0007
    Options
    Rice cakes, nuts (but watch how much you eat, high cal), apple chips (look out for added sugar), roasted chickpeas, Special K cracker chips.
  • jenniferpriggs
    Options
    Most of my cravings are for salty crunchy stuff. I love raw green beans with hummus (with olive hummus is the best), and raw bell pepper strips dipped in Greek yogurt. Once in a while I'll sprinkle sea salt on the veggies if I'm really really wanting salt.

Also agree with the previous poster, special K cracker chips (and the quinoa/barley chips, can't remember the brand) and rice cakes work well too.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I also read somewhere that if you are on carb restrictions (but not as much on other macros), making cheese crisps (shredding cheese, then making piles and baking until crispy) and having a couple now and again can help...just obviously don't eat a bunch... I haven't tried this yet, but plan to soon.