Ouch! What do you use?

Options
AmberElaine84
AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
I have TERRIBLE, terrible skin! The ends of all of my fingers crack and bleed, and so do the tips of my toes and heels! It hurts to put on my shoes or do anything with my fingers...button, zip, ANYTHING! I feel like I have tried ALL lotions, from $2 to $15!!! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use for this problem? Mixtures, homemade remedies? My last resort is going to a doctor, I don't know if this is a common problem on not. :frown:

Replies

• MrsMills712
    Options
    Same here! And I work around food so I wash my hands a billion times a day, making the problem so much worse.
    I don't know for sure the lotions you've tried, but the ones that have helped me the most are:
    Udderly Smooth Udder cream (sounds gross, I know) &
    Crabtree & Evelyn Gardeners Hand Therepy

I also bought some Aloe gloves from Kohls hand therapy collection that I sleep in after lotioning up.
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has a similar issue with his hands. Never had the issue with his feet. He told me that his physician said he had a form or keratosis. He uses Cetaphil and occasionally vaseline lotions. I'd highly suggest visiting your Doctor or a dermatologist.
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bag Balm works great, it was once recommended to me by a Doctor. Same concept as the Udderly Smooth, but it works. It is greasy, so you want to apply when you don't have plans to do much else for a bit, but if you leave it, you'll be amazed at how much better your hands and feet look and feel after just one use.

Alternatively, you might think about getting a parrafin bath for home use. They aren't particularly inexpensive, but they are wonderful. I've had mine for years. Target used to sell one by Therabath and still may. Most beauty supply stores will carry a professional one, which is what I have. They really do the trick!
  • CelticDragon
    CelticDragon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I don't know why, but it posted twice.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I have eczema on my fingers, so I deal with crazy amounts of cracking and bleeding.

You should be able to get a 1% cortisone cream at the drug store. It's a steroid cream that helps your skin to retain moisture. When my hands get really bad, I slather that on at night, then put on those cotton beauty gloves over top. It really helps, and I find it doesn't give me the waxy feeling that most effective skin creams do.
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Try a fish oil supplement
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Do you have the problem in the summer?
    I tend to have that problem, and when it is very cold and the house is heated the problem is worse.

Are you certain it is just dry skin and not something more serious? There are many medical conditions that are easily treated which can cause skin problems. Start with the doctor. The most common is an underactive thyroid.

If it's weather related dry skin, there is really no lotion that will solve this permanently unless you are slathering several times a day. Many times it is your diet.

After the doctor, some things to try:

Make certain you are getting enough fat in your diet. Your skin and hair need oils (so does the rest of your body, however skin and hair are visible.)

Take shorter showers with cooler water. Hot water dries skin.

If you live somewhere with low humidity and can afford it, look into buying a humidifier.

I think the most important thing is diet. Good luck.
  • AmberElaine84
    Options
    I have been taking fish oil since August and I've yet to notice results...

I've tried Udder butter, I don't notice a difference. Right now I have been using Eucerin extra strength and still no results.

I have this problem all year long. My legs are ashy, my elbows are scratchy, and my feet are cracked and scratchy.
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    I use Aquaphilic hand cream every day to keep my hands from getting dried out and cracked and It works amazing.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I use Aveeno Intense Relief overnight cream on my feet in the mornings before I put socks on, and again later in the day when I am relaxing after dinner. I do leave it on my hands too. By the time I go to bed it has soaked in and the sheets don't get goopy. I also use Burts Bees lemon cuticle cream on my fingers at night, I put it on up to the first joint. Then I will use cotton gloves to sleep in...I curl my hand up under my face while sleeping and will break out on my face if I don't. My cuticles as well at the ends of my fingers get really dry, crack and occasionally bleed if I don't do something. Most lotions just don't work. When the cuticles crack and bleed I will use a dab of neosporin through the day too. For the itchy dry skin all over I use the Aveeno Relief body wash, and the unscented Aveeno lotion if needed, but usually not if I use the body wash instead of soap.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Eucerin lotion.
    Don't use anti-bacterial soap , very drying.
    Don't use hand sanitizer that has alcohol in it.
    Take fish oil supplements.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, and prescriptions don't help for me. The only thing I've found to get me through the Canadian winters is using the Aveeno Exzema body wash combined with the Spectro Gel Exzema and Eucerin Calming cream....(I get really itchy too)...the combo works for me, my skin is still dry but it's tollerable.
    Good luck :bigsmile:
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I mix baby oil gel with cocoa butter & shea body lotion and put it on right after I get out of the shower. Yes. it is greasy for a little bit, but goes away. Never had any more trouble with dry skin.
  • AmberElaine84
    Options
    Thanks a lot, girls!!!!! I am going to have to figure out which one of these things to try next!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I use the Burt's Bees Hand Repair Kit - http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-products/body-hands-feet-hand-moisturizers/hand-repair-kit.html

Comes with gloves, 2 different hand cremes and a cuticle creme. I try and lather on one of the hand cremes and the cuticle creme every night and put the gloves on but I usually remember 4x a week. My hands got SO bad last year and this is the only thing that helped them. Pretty reasonable value for $13 I think.

Another thing that helps is watch out for anything with lotions/scents added, including dishwasher gel. I try and wear dishwashing gloves as the excess soap/water tends to crack my hands worse than anything else.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Eucerin lotion.
    Don't use anti-bacterial soap , very drying.
    Don't use hand sanitizer that has alcohol in it.
    Take fish oil supplements.

It's not just one thing to try. There are many things causing the problem.
  • jtgill
    jtgill Posts: 48
    Options
    I agree with the cortisone cream, I have some if you want :) And use burts bees...I have that too! That is what Andrew and I use
  • WisdomListens
    Options
    I do a few things that really work for me.

1. As soon as I get out of the shower, I moisturize. I've been doing it for so long, it's become a habit. A great habit, if I might add. I really like Eucerin's Calming Creme, it's a great product made for daily use that works fabulously. It's loaded with Oatmeal and Glycerin, so it's nutrient rich, and goes on like a dream (it helps that i do some work with them, so we have it around our office).
    2. Try not to use really hot water, it only makes things worse! I know it's difficult in the winter, being so cold, but the hot water is really hard on the skin
    3. Try to avoid alkaline-based hand sanitizers, they dry your hands out!

Good luck!