TOM, FYI FOR ALL YOU WOMEN WONDERING

Options
So I started my TOM two days ago. I hopped on the scale to see what it would say.... It said I had gained 6.4 lbs back of the 7 that I lost! SERIOUSLY! It took me a month to lose those 7 lbs, and in a day it was pretty much all back. It wasn't my weigh in day, but I almost wanted to cry, because I thought, there is no way that my TOM caused a 6 1/2 lb weight gain some or most of that has to be real weight gain. Well today was my actual weigh in day, so yesterday i ate lightly, drank tons of water, crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. So, I hopped on the scale this morning, after usual ritual of peeing and stripping down, and the scale said I had actually lost 0.3 lbs. So I know it wasn't a huge loss for the week, but I am officially down 7.3 lbs total. Maybe TOM is still keeping extra weight on me, or maybe I just didn't have a great week, but either way I am still down. So for all those women wondering does TOM really make you gain weight, or at least make it look like you have, in my case the answer is DEFINITELY YES! It made it look like all of two days ago that I was up almost 6 1/2 lbs, but oh what a change two days makes. Anyway, I see TOM posts no here CONSTANTLY and just thought I would give some of you guys my story, and maybe a little hope if it happens to you. LOL

Replies

• superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    This ABSOLUTELY happens to me. I gain anywhere from 5 - 8lbs during menstruation and DO NOT WEIGH until after my cycle has finished.

Charmagne
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most of the weight is water weight. We retain so much water at that time of the month. Just keep an eye on it, keep drinking tons of water and see where it's at when your TOM is done.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    Hop on that scale once TOM is totally gone and I bet you lost more. :wink:
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize. I stepped on the scale last Wednesday and discovered I had gained all 6 lbs back. Aargh. I'm hoping to weigh in later today and find that the scales are once again in my favor.
  • littlet22
    Options
    weighed in a few days ago and +3 1/2lbs here :(
    today's weight is back to "normal". water weight is mostly gone and i'm actually down 1/2lb from my pre-tom weigh-in.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yep as of today my uterus hates me, which means that i won't be weighing in until the 30th ( a week of PMS and a week of menstruation). Last time I gained 6lbs and my self esteem was in the toilet. I know that it's water weight, but you still hate to see it. So i refuse to step on the scale until i'm finished my cycle. no wonder i feel like a beached whale, and downed 3 cups of water before i even turned my computer on this morning.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I really struggled with this for a while but I think I've figured out a trick- I try to double my water intake in the week before TOM to help flush some of it out and keep the water intake pretty high during. This weeks weigh in was down 2.8 lbs and I started Saturday. Maybe upping the water and watching the sodium is the key? It seems to be working for me.

Good luck all!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    question, since your change in diet and increase in exercise, has your period come a week early? this is the 3rd month where i'm not even done my birth control and i'm getting my period...but i changed it up last month, my period was consistently coming a week early on a tuesday (i usually start on a sunday) so i didn't take my pill for two days and started the pack on the tuesday...but today it feels like i'm going to get it any second now...does that mean my period is now two weeks early? or that i should just let it come a week early and continue taking birth control?
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I really thinks it is crazy how many pounds the body is willing to hold on to of water weight around that TOM. I really don't see the point of it either?
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    question, since your change in diet and increase in exercise, has your period come a week early? this is the 3rd month where i'm not even done my birth control and i'm getting my period...but i changed it up last month, my period was consistently coming a week early on a tuesday (i usually start on a sunday) so i didn't take my pill for two days and started the pack on the tuesday...but today it feels like i'm going to get it any second now...does that mean my period is now two weeks early? or that i should just let it come a week early and continue taking birth control?

Uhhh you really have me stumped on this one. LOL I am not taking birth control, but my period has not changed any at all since I started actively trying to lose weight. Granted it has only been about 4-5 weeks though. I am not sure what is up with that, maybe you should call your doctors office, ask to speak to a nurse and see if they have any insight?
  • dkrioux
    dkrioux Posts: 144
    Options
    oh yeah, Our bodies retain fluid during that time:) I NEVER weigh during TOM:)
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have never been regular with my TOM, it arrives if and when it will , one normal indication as with most is the sudden weight increase, but there was no indication of any this morning so I was quite surprised when TOM showed up tottally unnanounced early this afternoon. The only thing I can put it down to after reading some of your posts is the amount of fluids I have been drinking recently, a minimum of 2 litres while I exercise as well as the other drinks I have throughout the day.