Best running shoes ever?

Options
I've tried Dr. Scholls running shoes with a Dr. Scholls sport insert but my feet still seriously hurt. Which shoes are the best most comfortable running shoes ever?

Replies

• smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Really good running shoes are expensive, so just be prepared for that...

I'm not a marathon runner or anything, but the best running shoe I've ever found is by a brand called Brooks and the model I use is "Adrenaline".

When I don't use these shoes I get shin splints, ankle pain, and pain in my right knee. I don't want to sound overly dramatic, but these shoes seriously changed my life.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It depends on your foot structure. You want to get a shoe responsive to that. Get fitted at running store. Once you know your brand, shop online to get better deals.
  • ShandiH
    ShandiH Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have some Altra's that have been good running shoes for me. They were $120ish when I bought them but the single best thing that I've down for sore feet is going to a podiatrist and getting custom soles to put in my shoes. Hope that helps!
  • Frogtalk
    Frogtalk Posts: 10
    Options
    I have foot orthopedics, and trying to find a walking/running shoe for everyday wear is hard.. I don't have a ton of money to spend on a pair, but I know I can't do Wal Mart type shoes either. My feet do need some support from the shoe AS WELL AS the orthopedics. I will for sure check out those two shoes that were mentioned, I have to be shopping for shoes in the next 2-3 weeks.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The best running shoes ever are the ones that fit your feet and suit your running needs. If you can get to a good running store where they will fit you and match you up with the best shoe for you, that would be ideal.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to a running store.and get expert advice on the best shoe for you!
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The best running shoes ever are the ones that fit your feet and suit your running needs. If you can get to a good running store where they will fit you and match you up with the best shoe for you, that would be ideal.

^This, 100%. It totally depends on your foot and your running style (pronating, etc). I have worn Brooks Adrenalines faithfully since my 1st marathon, and since having my daughter (she is now 7) I finally decided that my feet changed enough to tweak my shoe (I'm now on the Brooks Ghost model). It is definitely worth it to find a store that can properly fit you!
  • Txpeach182
    Options
    Running shoes that fit your feet are so very important. When I wanted to get in shape, I started with running because it was free. I put on old tennis shoes I had and my legs were constantly hurting. A marathon friend of mine was appalled. She started spouting words like pronate and blah blah... I went to the sporting good store to get fitted but there was a huge line. So I spent some time on runnersworld.com and learned about types of running conformation and figured out what I was and what was optimal. Since budget wasn't an issue I tried on a bunch of different shoes designed for my foot type and some that were not, in all price ranges. I ended up buying Sketchers Go Runs for $60 which was one of the cheapest shoes they carried. It had an extra arch pad you could insert that really helped my foot strike. They are light weight, and have a really comfortably smooth lining. I really liked how they aren't super tight around the top of my foot. My legs didn't hurt at all anymore! I have since bought several other types of tennis shoes (those nikes are super cute!) and ran in them all. None of them came close to the sketchers. Hope that helps!

Here is the link to the shoes I bought. http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/95146-1029083/Skechers/Red_Lime/Mens+GO+RUN+2.aspx?campaign=Skechers&CMP=KNC-adwordspla&cpc=adwordspla&KPID=1029083-95146-13.0D&partnerid=adwordspla
  • Txpeach182
    Options
    PS: Sorry for all the pronouns and the link I sent you says they are "Men's Sketchers" but they are not. They are women's.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Make the bolded statement your mantra........

What works for me (and I've been running in the same model of shoe for years now) may be completely inappropriate for you.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved my Patagonia Tsali 2.0 - I currently have a pair of KSwiss Cali Tubes, but they haven't seemed to hold up as long.
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What works for one runner may not work for another. But if you're having pain then you're probably in the wrong shoes.
    My husband can run in ASICS and loves them. Meanwhile I can't ever get a good fit in ASICS
    Keep in mind that brands have different models. While I love running in my Mizuno Wave Creation 11 the Wave Creation 13 had me limping back to the house after half a mile. I've had luck with Brooks, Zoots, Newton, Mizuno, and a couple models of Merrell . But again you can't just pick up any model and expect it to be THE running shoe for you. My best suggestion is find a store specifically for running. Many of these stores observe your gait and ask your level as well as preferred terrain (road, trail, treadmill, etc). From there they can offer several suggestions specifically for you. Some stores offer 100% satisfaction guarantees (which is great because sometimes it takes a few miles before you realize you've made an expensive mistake), some have treadmills that you can trial the shoes on, we have a local (runner owned) store that will even take you on a run (in as many shoes as you want to try) before purchase. These store are also a great resource for advice.
    If this is not an option I suggest picking up a running magazine or Googling Runner's World and look through the shoe reviews to get an idea.
    Bottom line if your shoes are the source of your pain your form will be off and you run the risk of injury after injury.
    Good luck. Oh, and don't forget to choose your socks wisely.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It depends on your foot structure. You want to get a shoe responsive to that. Get fitted at running store. Once you know your brand, shop online to get better deals.

This!
  • nurssassy
    nurssassy Posts: 71 Member
    Options

What works for me (and I've been running in the same model of shoe for years now) may be completely inappropriate for you.

Yes yes yes

unfortunately sometimes they like to tweek the model you love to run in and ruin your favorite shoes:cry: . Now when I find a pair I LOVE I'll buy multiple pairs. :smile:
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

This. It is absolutely pointless to tell you what shoe I love to run in. My feet are not your feet. Get fitted for shoes. The first pair may be a bit pricey, but once you know what works you can buy subsequent pairs online or on closeouts for much cheaper.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Yes yes yes

unfortunately sometimes they like to tweek the model you love to run in and ruin your favorite shoes:cry: . Now when I find a pair I LOVE I'll buy multiple pairs. :smile:

Me too! When they moved to the next gen of my shoe many years ago, I was unhappy with the changes, so I drove around and bought out just about everyone's stock of my shoe - ended up with 3 or 4 pairs. By the time I went through them, they had changed the model back to something I liked again :)
  • mamawriter
    mamawriter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll definite head to a running shoe store and have a professional fit my foot. :)