The name's Ashleigh

Options
Hey everybody! My name's Ashleigh and I'm new on here. I've been overweight my entire life and am ready for it to stop. I turn 20 in June and want to start my twenties looking better. :) Right now I'm 5 ft 10 in and weigh 283 lb. I'm trying to figure out where I want to be by my birthday. Anybody have any suggestions on what would be a reasonable and healthy amount of weight to lose in six months? Eventually I want to be down to 150 but that's a LONG ways off and I know it will take time. Didn't gain it all overnight. lol

Replies

• elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Hi Ashleigh. Welcome!

I started out about where you are now. I initially set my long term goals based on losing 1 pound per week, and adjusted as the time got closer. This set me up for success, each time I hit a goal I was ahead of schedule and that felt nearly as good as hitting the goal. It also gave me the time to figure out how to make this a life-long effort, instead of focusing solely on the weight loss. So, maybe aim for 30 pounds off by your birthday?
  • dominic272
    Options
    Hi Ashley...Glad to have you here. I am new as well. One step at a time is very key point. Not to much to fast...it took the body time to gain the weight it will take it time to lose it.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Welcome!

Set realistic goals that you can easily meet (and maybe even meet ahead of schedule). 1-2 lbs/week is a 'normal and healthy' weight loss, but you may find weeks where you lose more or less. Bodies are funny that way. I'd set your birthday goal based on 1-2 lbs/week rate of weight loss.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • abeautifulvoice
    Options
    Hi Ashleigh!

Welcome to MFP! This is a fantastic site. I have lost 11lbs since starting in August. Good luck to you! =)