Do I Really Burn 3000 cal a day?

Options
albayin
albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
I finalled caved in and bought a bodymedia fit core. Have been wearing it for few days and average calories burned a day is around 2700 with 2.5 average METs...I do exercise in mornings, either a 4 mile running at 10 pace or 45 minutes turbo fire, or something similar to that...The rest of the day I am at desk, walking from and to bus stop, do some housework..

The number surprised me a little...If that was true that means I have been eating at least 2500 calories per day because I pretty much maintained my weight for the past years (5-10 years). That's incredible...

How accurate is this thing? given I have entered my height, age, and all information properly.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It is probably accurate.

You should calculate your BMR.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Essentially, BMR, is how many calories your body burns if you were in a coma. I burn 1400 a day just being me!

So with my exercise regime, walking, working, moving, etc ... my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is like 2200.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

If you eat less than the TDEE you will lose weight.

Short, simple version. MFP has a lot of links and good forums dedicated to explaining it better than I did :)
  • albayin
    Options
    It is probably accurate.

You should calculate your BMR.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Essentially, BMR, is how many calories your body burns if you were in a coma. I burn 1400 a day just being me!

So with my exercise regime, walking, working, moving, etc ... my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is like 2200.

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

If you eat less than the TDEE you will lose weight.

Short, simple version. MFP has a lot of links and good forums dedicated to explaining it better than I did :)

thank you, we are pretty close...:) yes, the default bodymedia gives me was around 2350 calories a day as I entered moderate as my exercise level...
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it's very accurate, you'd be surprised how many calories you burn just walking around and generally being active
  • captainheadkick
    captainheadkick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Does that thing also monitor pulse rate? Looks like it would be more convenient than a chest strap.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • albayin
    Options
    Does that thing also monitor pulse rate? Looks like it would be more convenient than a chest strap.

It doesn't but bodymedia claims you can link to certain models of garmin heart rate monitors...you can track it that way.
  • bestmeicanbe84
    bestmeicanbe84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was shocked at the amount of calories my Bodymedia Fit says I burn in a day. I have averaged about 3200 cals/day for the past week.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    btw you're not supposed to wear it when in a moving vehicle, that's one thing which will give you a way overestimated calorie burn
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    btw you're not supposed to wear it when in a moving vehicle, that's one thing which will give you a way overestimated calorie burn

Not true at all.
  • albayin
    Options

umm....really?
  • Kimmers411
    Kimmers411 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

umm....really?

Their literature on their website states that if traveling on bumpy roads-roads that aren't smooth, that it can skew the activity level... and that if that is the case for you, then remove the armband while in the car.

I have been wearing mine for about two weeks now, so I have a pretty good idea what my numbers should be, so I am going to see what it does on my trip coming up where I have to drive 10+ hours. I am planning to wear it and then analyze the chart after to see how inflated the amount was in the car. In my normal day to day activities, I don't spend very much time in the car, so at this point I have not felt the need to remove it while traveling.
  • albayin
    Options

umm....really?

Their literature on their website states that if traveling on bumpy roads-roads that aren't smooth, that it can skew the activity level... and that if that is the case for you, then remove the armband while in the car.

I have been wearing mine for about two weeks now, so I have a pretty good idea what my numbers should be, so I am going to see what it does on my trip coming up where I have to drive 10+ hours. I am planning to wear it and then analyze the chart after to see how inflated the amount was in the car. In my normal day to day activities, I don't spend very much time in the car, so at this point I have not felt the need to remove it while traveling.

thank you.
    I fell down this morning while running, guess that might have bumped up the number as well...LOL