dgl desperate

Options
I need to schedule a hip replacement, and planning on attending a high school reunion in 6 months. Both are inevitable and will be here much sooner than I want. I want to lose at least 40 lbs and eventual goal 60 lbs. I need encouragement and positive support. My psychological self and fatigue is my biggest challenge.

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Well, lovely, you have come to the right place. You will gets lots of support. Read through the posts and add people who seen to have similar goals/ideals as friends and you will be off to the races!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    take it one day at a time, and you will get there. welcome!
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    :happy: Good luck to you on your fitness journey! I agree that you should add people with like minded goals..Lord knows there are plenty of supportive people on here! You can do it! Feel free to add me if you like! We can do this together...
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Well done for making the decision to change your habits and your life!
    I found that the best place to start was by logging what I ate, regardless of how healthy or otherwise it was.
    This gave me a big wake up call and helped me to start moderating how much I eat each day. I plan my meals ahead of time and then schedule in snacks to make up the calories.
    Once you have a sense of what you are eating, you can look at exercising. It sounds as though it would be a good idea to talk to your doctor about exercise that would be appropriate for you - maybe swimming or walking in water would be OK and not cause more problems with your arthritis? Or perhaps he could recommend a gym or program where they can work around the current issues and get you moving safely.
    Good luck!
  • dglukach8
    Options
    Hi, everyone,
    Thank you for all the encouragement.
    I wanted to count calories, so found this site... then realized I had joined back in 2011, right after I retired, and had just returned from a civilian work duty in Kuwait with the Department of the Army. Boy,,, I have come a long way,,, and it was hard, but I just charged straight ahead, as my mom used to say,,, "a gritos y a sombrerasos"... loosely translated as "kicking and screaming on a knock-down dragout". It really was, in more ways than one. You would have to read my book to get all the details! ! ! not yet written... I have recovered almost 100% from the hip replacement three years ago, a bursitis, lumbar stenosis, degenerative joint disease, various myalgias, and total exhaustion with a touch of PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). I have been on - this site, weight watchers, nutrisystem, a beriatric doctor counseling (decided against beriatric, Thanks to God), a nutritionist, back to weight watchers, on doctor's care now counting calories, which led me back to MyFitnessPal. Of all the programs I have tried the past three years, this is more to my doctor's program, and to my success. More later. with HIGH HOPES.