Want to lose 15 lbs by Christmas

Options
12 days till Christmas I think? I want to lose 15lbs by then. I think it's possible and healthy if I do it right maybe. Has anyone been able to lose this much in 12 days? (I'm 5"10 (almost) 5"11 and 190 lbs. I lost 5lbs this last week).

Replies

• MyWishfulShrinking
    Options
    Hmm it's probably not the healthiest or the most realistic goal :/. Maybe 5 pounds by Christmas?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Honestly I do not think you can do it and be healthy about it. Why not bump that goal of yours out to Valentine's Day.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    umm i dont think that is healthy...i think anything more than 3-4 lbs a week is too much- and your asking for 7 lbs a week...i just think thats asking a lot- but i think you could lose half of that and maybe gain sum muscle and toning in 12 days...just try for the best and remember dont starve yourself! hope you get where you want
  • DJJW
    DJJW Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    First weeks always have a higher number than most cause its a body shock. I'm going to vote "not a healthy goal"
  • emhangas
    emhangas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As a nurse, I'll tell you straight up that the 5 pounds you lost is most probably 90% H2O--- and also, that to lose 10 more by Christmas would mean eating between 800 and 1000 calories a day with a physical (hard, sweating 50% of the time) workout of at least one full hour a day--- including strength training with 8 - 10 pound weights. (my best friend is a physical trainer, that's how I know)--- However, it is not practical to expect to keep it off, as your body will aclamate to what you are doing. So, if it's for a special night or two-- it can be done-- but then you will have to settle into a HEALTHY, routine---- and I know it will include more than 1000 calories a day-- Good luck--and don't forget to love yourself at any weight!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Why so much by Christmas? You're trying to turn a marathon into a sprint, and it's not a good idea to do that.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm, okay then, lol. I'd say febuary is too long. Maybe I'll shoot for January 12th. I'm still going to exercise like crazy and get my calories right...we'll see... Thanks for all of your advice!
  • Shaun82
    Options
    A pound a day is not healthy, let alone 1.25 pounds (enough to lose 15 pounds in 12 days).

Your body needs to be deprived of 3500 calories below your "at rest" calorie consumption to lose a pound of fat. Considering that your basal metabolic rate (how many calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day) is around 1700, you'd need to exercise enough to burn over 2675 calories beyond bed rest to burn enough calories in a day to lose 1.25 pounds. This also assumes that you eat absolutely nothing over the next 12 days.

Anything beyond 2 pounds of weight loss in a week is very unhealthy. If you're losing more than that, you're probably damaging your overall health in some way.

For your own sake, give up on this goal and set one that's healthy for you. :)
  • sallie46
    sallie46 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good advice all! I'm wondering if a realistic goal for the next three weeks is to NOT GAIN any weight! With parties and feasts coming up, I'm going to try and lose a couple but if I can just keep the scale from going UP it would be a victory!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Why so much by Christmas? You're trying to turn a marathon into a sprint, and it's not a good idea to do that.

Because I hate my weight, lol. I wan't to fit into a size 12 really bad by then. Who knows, I still may be able to lose a couple inches at least by then...
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    One may acheive this by cutting off a leg.
  • SunLove8
    Options
    Good advice all! I'm wondering if a realistic goal for the next three weeks is to NOT GAIN any weight! With parties and feasts coming up, I'm going to try and lose a couple but if I can just keep the scale from going UP it would be a victory!

I hear ya! I think I got to excited losing 5lbs in my first week and figured I could do even better than that, but I'm realizing that isn't healthy thinking....
  • SunLove8
    Options
    One may acheive this by cutting off a leg.

LMAO!
  • becky2time
    Options
    I'm doing the Suzanne Somers Eat, Cheat and melt the fat away it's a healthy way to diet for life and a quick way to lose weight! Just eliminate the funky foods-white flour, white bread, white rice and sugar, and you'll lose it fast, plus add in exercise and you'll get there, maybe not the whole 15 but close!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I'm doing the Suzanne Somers Eat, Cheat and melt the fat away it's a healthy way to diet for life and a quick way to lose weight! Just eliminate the funky foods-white flour, white bread, white rice and sugar, and you'll lose it fast, plus add in exercise and you'll get there, maybe not the whole 15 but close!

Hmmmmm, I'll have to check that out. I've already been eliminating those foods, so maybe that's why I'm losing weight so fast, who knows?
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I think that your goal is pretty unrealistic, Aimee....
    Just think about how long it took you to gain the amount of weight that you now want to lose...
    If you want to lose the weight & KEEP IT OFF, then you should make smaller goals for yourself because15 lbs in 12 days is just plain unhealthy and overall unsafe. I'm not a doctor, but I would advise against this!
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR WEIGHTLOSS!!!!!!!!!!
  • SunLove8
    Options
    I think that your goal is pretty unrealistic, Aimee....
    Just think about how long it took you to gain the amount of weight that you now want to lose...
    If you want to lose the weight & KEEP IT OFF, then you should make smaller goals for yourself because15 lbs in 12 days is just plain unhealthy and overall unsafe. I'm not a doctor, but I would advise against this!
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR WEIGHTLOSS!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! You've done great I see! Thank you for your advice ;)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmm, okay then, lol. I'd say febuary is too long. Maybe I'll shoot for January 12th. I'm still going to exercise like crazy and get my calories right...we'll see... Thanks for all of your advice!

Good luck... I think any goal that is greater then 2lbs a week is setting yourself up to fail. Especially considering your weight and height you are not very overweight at all.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options

Nope- i don't eat white flours or sugar and I still lose weight at a normal pace. That isn't a meathod for "fast" weight no matter the diet book says. It's a good and positive change for your system (avoiding white flours means avoiding a step in the processing, making it closer to natural flour). It's something that if it works for you, is good, but isn't necessary to weight loss, and won't really speed the process along.

What you need to do, is hold your horsies there little miss horsey holder :-). You had a really great first week. But if you are going to stay committed long enough to lose the weight you want, to need to relax. Sit yourself down and say to yourself "Self, we are in this to get to that weight. The time isn't important- reaching the goal is important" At an actual healthy pace, it could take up to (or more than) 15 weeks to lose 15 lbs. I know that seems interminable and just like something you can't allow. But you know what, if you take your time, make the cuts that are going to stick with you- won't it be worth it when 3 months from now you are 15 lbs down instead of starting over again because you pushed too hard and "fell off the wagon"?

Take your time. Calories in Calories out. Don't starve yourself. Use common sense and moderation. Make working out something you enjoy, instead of a punishment for liking cake. This way you can live with the changes you make, and love the person you are.
  • sallie46
    sallie46 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The diet "experts" almost always say the first week's awesome weight loss is usually a lot of water (who cares?) and after that, 2lbs per week is fabulous. I would like to share the Carb Lover's Diet (see Health magazine's website or the book)-- and no, I don't work for them or anyone related to them. it's just a super healthy eating plan with delicious, whole food recipes. I'd follow it 100% of the time if someone could just a) make all my food for me and b) make sure that's what I ate on weekends.

Anyway, there are some free recipes on their website and I think it makes the word "diet" less of a scary thing and more of the lifestyle change "they" say we must make in order to succeed. The book's guidance, plus this website have really helped me a lot.

The killer eating season is here -- I'll watch my portions, try not to inhale gobs of baked brie and booze at parties and drink gallons of water if you will! ;-)

Good luck everyone!