The evils of changing room mirrors....

Options
Ok I oficially hate marks & Spencer's changing room mirrors. I'm about 3lb off goal, eat fairly well and train; running, circuits and yoga 3times a week. Yet in these mirrors I'm still poles apart from any celebrity body. I know that's a daft reference point but really I look nightmarishly wobbly, cellulity shorter and wider in all the wrong places.

Just trying to decide if I'm deluding myself thinking I can ever get to a point where I look firm and toned and slim as my body is simply not made that way or am I just not settings goal low enough or working out hard enough

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    One of the Targets near me is the same way. At least I know where to go to feel completely devastated. Also if something does end up looking good while in that room, then it must REALLY look good, so that's a plus...right?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    One of the Targets near me is the same way. At least I know where to go to feel completely devastated. Also if something does end up looking good while in that room, then it must REALLY look good, so that's a plus...right?

LOL so much yes. I tried on my very first pair of "skinny jeans" in Target with the crazy bad lighting and horrid 3 way mirrors and I decided, "If these look pretty good in here, I can so wear them in public!"
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. For me, I find that the mirrors are "skinny mirrors" and I don't look half bad at the store. But when I get home, yikes what was I thinking! Start depression and vow to never go shopping again unless I have to... :(
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options

LOL so much yes. I tried on my very first pair of "skinny jeans" in Target with the crazy bad lighting and horrid 3 way mirrors and I decided, "If these look pretty good in here, I can so wear them in public!"

God I love skinny jeans, and tights, and any pant that doesn't have all that extra fabric by the ankle. I'm so very pear shaped, ironic preference of pant style.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have a mirror like that right in front of my shower. It's rather demoralising every time I need to wash my hair.
  • caellen518
    caellen518 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Nordstrom by me has the absolute worst lighting and mirrors in the entire universe. It's ridiculously depressing every. single. time.

Luckily, not shopping at Nordstrom saves me a ton of money. So, silver linings I suppose.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. For me, I find that the mirrors are "skinny mirrors" and I don't look half bad at the store. But when I get home, yikes what was I thinking! Start depression and vow to never go shopping again unless I have to... :(

^ but exactly. i hear you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ok I oficially hate marks & Spencer's changing room mirrors. I'm about 3lb off goal, eat fairly well and train; running, circuits and yoga 3times a week. Yet in these mirrors I'm still poles apart from any celebrity body. I know that's a daft reference point but really I look nightmarishly wobbly, cellulity shorter and wider in all the wrong places.

Just trying to decide if I'm deluding myself thinking I can ever get to a point where I look firm and toned and slim as my body is simply not made that way or am I just not settings goal low enough or working out hard enough
    Most celebrity bodies are air brushed. Do you really want to be air brushed? :smile:

Seriously, I think the problem has more to do with perception than mirrors.

Stay who you are, work out, eat right, love yourself no matter what, and everything will fall into place.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Most celebrity bodies are air brushed. Do you really want to be air brushed? :smile:

Seriously, I think the problem has more to do with perception than mirrors.

Stay who you are, work out, eat right, love yourself no matter what, and everything will fall into place.

Yep, if you're comparing the change room mirror, harsh unflattering fluro lighting version of yourself to an airbrushed, styled, professionally made up, professional hair, flattering lighting, personal trainer, fake tanned, tonnes of money to throw around on random beauty stuff celebrity then you're always going to feel bad about yourself. That's the issue with the media, it's all an illusion. I guarantee that almost all of those celebrities standing next to you in that same change room would have their own imperfections, lumps and bumps, stretchmarks, cellulite, uneven skin tone, dark circles etc. etc.

As they say don't compare your behind the scenes to someone elses highlight reel. Focus on becoming the best you can be and always remember that your self worth shouldn't be entirely measured by the way you look.
  • Cappuccino2014
    Options
    As they say don't compare your behind the scenes to someone elses highlight reel

^^^ I love this :-)
  • Sweetie_darling
    Sweetie_darling Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Those devil mirrors! ......
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    As they say don't compare your behind the scenes to someone elses highlight reel

^^^ I love this :-)

That's because it's so true. With celebrities but also with the people we encounter in everyday life. People don't post unflattering photos of themselves on social media and you don't see them standing next to you in the changerooms in the unflattering lighting. The same goes with life. You see what people want you to see. My bootcamp instructor uses the term "fake super hero". Those people who seem to have it all sorted: beautiful, perfect job, boyfriend, amazing social life... You never really know what issues they have in their life going on below the surface because they don't let you see it.