Barbell Squat Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Bump to remind myself - I found the same thing this morning and I think it was not pushing up properly.
  • lemonshredding
    lemonshredding Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weight in heels, chest up and open, squeeze your butt to come back up and before you squat take a deep breath - it naturally opens the chest.

Em x
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    All great advice here already, have you ever tried a box squat? Helps a lot of people learn to "sit" and rest even at the bottom so you can focus on the drive back up.
  • mjudd1990
    mjudd1990 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Do body weight squats as well as just sit in the hole for a minute or two before you even touch the bar. Simple piece of advice that has always helped me stay on my heels is just to lift your big toes off the ground throughout the movement. If you can't do that, then you are leaning too far forward.
  • lifeisbueno
    lifeisbueno Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    work on your hip mobility. www.mobilitywod.com has some awesome mobility stretches. think about shoving your knees outwards in the bottom of the squat and activating your "prison butt"
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Weight in heels, chest up and open, squeeze your butt to come back up and before you squat take a deep breath - it naturally opens the chest.

Em x
    Except you should breathe into your belly, not chest.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It might help to drop the weight back off the bar and work on driving through your heels. Even though I'm up to squatting 200 lbs now, I always do a couple warm ups with an empty bar to make sure my form is there before I add my plates on. Also, I found that when I added front squats in to my routine, my back squat form improved even more. The front squats really helped with staying upright and squatting through my heels.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    interesting advice on here, think i also need to work on driving through my heels from the sound of things, will practice at my next session without the weights first.