Increasing cals.....scales going the wrong way!!!

Options
Scales going wrong way....help!!!!

Trying to uk cals, so went from 1200 to 1400 for 4 weeks. This week I'm netting 1500 (eating about 1700) leaving s few of my exercise cals in case they are over estimated. Also started doing 25 mins on rowing machine this week. Also trying to drink more - 12 cups daily

I know u should not weigh every day, but each morning thus week scales going up - 1lb per day. Could be retaining water from exercise??? I can handle staying the same for a while, but not gaining!!!! Am I still doing something wrong? I weigh & track everything - so not tracking wrong. Maybe I just need patience ...... Not my strong point.

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    . Maybe I just need patience

Yes, This .
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food on a kitchen scale????
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh everything - have done for years.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    To actually gain 1 pound in fat in a day you would need to eat 3,500 calories ABOVE your maintanence.

Your weight does fluctuate from day to day, so more likely it is a combination of increased food weight (in digestive system) and water weight.

And yes, exercise can cause you to retain more water. Don't worry so much, as you keep going the weight should start coming down.

If you want to weigh daily I suggest getting this app called libra, because it tracks the trend, and can help you see through all the daily fluctuations (it helps me a lot)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh everything - have done for years.

Then I would assume it's water weight from the new exercise and not worry about it too much.

After starting new exercise you need 2-4 weeks for the water weight to go away.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Water weight.

If you weigh daily record each weigh in and find the average of those 7 weigh ins. That's more of a real weight than what the scale reads day to day.

Also, patience is a virtue.
  • slk_5555
    Options
    Thanks all. Yeah...I guess patience is what I need. Going to try very hard just to weigh once a week. Sneaky peeks on the scales each day is not helping me right now. I guess the whole concept of being able to eat more food & still loose weight is still a bit alien to me - sounds too good to be true;-)
  • lavender101
    lavender101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've made healthier lifestyle changes this week (doing FitnessBlender workouts, and eating more wholesome, nutrient-dense food) and while I do feel "tighter" over all, I'm up 4 pounds, am bloated/constipated, and just a little discouraged.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    when you up your calories your glycogen stores get bigger, therefore the body is capable of retaining more water. Combined with the exercise and multiple changes, that's probably your reason. It's just water, so don't panic.

I have gone down to my lowest weight yet and on that evening I ate some very salty cheese. The next morning I woke up and I was almost 4 lbs heavier! and that was after staying within my calories the day before. now 2 days later I have 2,5 lbs down again.

This happens and will happen again, as long as over a period of time the trend is downwards, you're good
  • slk_5555
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've made healthier lifestyle changes this week (doing FitnessBlender workouts, and eating more wholesome, nutrient-dense food) and while I do feel "tighter" over all, I'm up 4 pounds, am bloated/constipated, and just a little discouraged.

Sounds like you need a little patience...like me. Stick with it - I'm sure we will get there eventually. Although at times it can be frustrating to say the least.