gluten free breakfast recipes

Options
michelleneli
michelleneli Posts: 132 Member
Hi, I'm trying to go gluten free to see if I'm sensitive to it. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    In for ideas - I've cut gluten from my diet recently as it triggers my IBS. I'm currently having porridge. Or bacon & eggs. Or boiled eggs. Or yogurt/fruit.

*Depending on how gluten intolerant you are oats maybe cross contaminated so be careful.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for 3 years. Here are some of the things that I eat for breakfast:
    Cold cereal (chex)
    Hot cereal (grits, oatmeal (gluten free labeled) Bob's Red mill mighty tasty cereal)
    Fruit and yogurt (or cottage cheese and fruit)
    Fruit smoothies
    Left overs from dinner
    eggs (in all forms)
    gluten free toaster waffles with peanut butter
    muffins (made with almond meal)
    breakfast tacos (corn tortillas, veggies, eggs)
    Imagine soups (their tomato and roasted red pepper is creamy and really good)

You can find gluten free bagels and english muffins (usually frozen) but I haven't found one that I really love and they tend to be very high in calories.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for just over 12 months and alternate between the following breakfasts:

Greek yoghurt, diced fruit, chia seeds (or just a fruit and nut mixture)
    Two egg omelette with chopped up sliced meat and veggies (spinach, zucchini, tomato, bell peppers, whatever is around)
    Pancakes, using either a gluten-free flour blend, or just rice flour (1/2 cup rice flour, 1 cup milk and 2 eggs)

Cheers!
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out as GF, I highly encourage you to stay away from GF "substitutes" like gluten free breads, pastries, etc. It's all just empty processed carbs anyway, and I think it's better to learn first without being dependent on substitutes.

I love poached eggs over sliced fresh tomatoes.
    Potato and veggie hash (recommend Yukon Gold potatoes over Idahos) - you can add chopped turkey bacon or ham for some extra protein
    Egg-crepes (thin cooked eggs), then add sliced avocado and salsa and whatever else you want

I've been GF for 5 years and would never go back. I wish you the best.
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I went gluten-free last April (so almost a year ago exactly) and am never going back!
    My favorite breakfast is refrigerator oatmeal, made with certified gluten-free oats, ground flaxseed, chia seeds, cinnamon, a little bit of vanilla extract, and almond milk. Easy to make, easy to grab-and-go in the mornings, easy to portion control and adapt to your own tastes and preferences. There are tons of recipes all over the Internet - just search "refrigerator oatmeal recipes." Some people even add cocoa powder, nut butters, dried fruit, etc. to theirs.
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "If you're just starting out as GF, I highly encourage you to stay away from GF "substitutes" like gluten free breads, pastries, etc. It's all just empty processed carbs anyway, and I think it's better to learn first without being dependent on substitutes."

Just wanted to say I totally agree with this...in the beginning, it is easy to get caught in the trap of "regular food that is gluten free" and it is just processed crap you don't need anyway. Plus it is REALLY expensive. People ask me all the time if I spend a lot more money on food; I really don't, because I just buy ingredients and make food from scratch. If I bought processed gluten-free food, my grocery spend would triple, easily.
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs (however you like them), brown rice cakes with PB2, greek yogurt with fruit, a sliced apple with PB2, GF oatmeal, there are a lot of breakfast things you can do GF. I feel MUCH better being off it.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    In for ideas!

12 days into a Gluten Free diet for the same reason as OP.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Karina's Kitchen is a great place to find naturally gluten free alternatives.

Typically for breakfast I have an egg frittata, or cassarole that I can fix over the weekend and then separate for the week.
    Or a fruit and yogurt smoothie with some nuts (this also helps to get a nice amount of protein in to start your day)

As other ladies suggested, and as I have read and done, the best way to start gluten free is to do all natural gluten free foods. The processed foods often times are not as good for you (just like when you aren't doing gluten free).
  • SergeantNarwhal
    SergeantNarwhal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    "If you're just starting out as GF, I highly encourage you to stay away from GF "substitutes" like gluten free breads, pastries, etc. It's all just empty processed carbs anyway, and I think it's better to learn first without being dependent on substitutes."

I really agree with this ^. I have Celiac and so I haven't really ever had a time when I ate gluten. The only substitute I eat is occasionally udi's bread and sometimes, rarely, pasta.

But honestly, (I know, this is kind of unsolicited advice) you can get tested for a gluten allergy and it's way easier than doing an elimination diet. Doing an elimination diet is tricky for two reasons: 1.) there are so many things that gluten is hid in that it's hard to get the hang of questioning everything in a short amount of time and 2.) there is the issue of causation vs. correlation. You might feel better just because you've cut back on processed foods and are more aware of what you're eating.

Just a thought ~ good luck either way.