inches lost vs. weight loss question

Options
Ok, so here's what i've been wondering. I've really changed my lifestyle, and over the past few weeks I've definitely seen a difference on the scale, but my measurements are EXACTLY the same. Now, I will admit, my scale is a bit wonky and i probably should get a new one--according to it I've lost about 7-10lbs, but like i said, no change at all in measurements or how my clothes fit.
So, i guess my question is, on average, about how much weight does one have to lose to start seeing a difference inch-wise? O.o Thanks for the help!

Replies

• lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    meg , this is what i did.....i took a pair of pants, one that I could barely fit into, ones that were as tight as can be, and kept this in eyes view in my closet. then in about 3 weeks, Id try them on again..........then 2 weeks after that ,until they fit..........then id notice how loose they would become,until they would litereally slip down without the use of a belt

then id go to the next size smaller, and so on........thats my true scale,. I can feel how loose my clothes would become weekly, and that is what i used as my guide

i m not that crazy about scales
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are losing. If you are primarily losing water and muscle mass, you won't see much change inches wise. If you are losing primarily body fat, you won't have to lose much scale weight to see a difference in the inches. If you are losing with diet alone, you're losing more water and muscle. If you aren't focusing your workouts correctly, you may still be using more water and muscle then fat.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    This really is dependant on your personal body type. We all lose in different areas and at a different rate. Typically people see inches lost before weight loss but like I said we are all different. Give it a couple more weeks and then try again. You will see a difference. :)
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. Some people lose a lot of weight from particular areas and they're the ones who'll see big changes in inches. You must have lost that weight quite evenly around your whole body. You'll see inch changes eventually, but just because it takes a little longer to see on the measuring tape it doesn't mean you won't see it in the mirror! 7-10lbs is great, well done :) Keep going and you'll see inch loss, you may just have to wait a little longer. On the bright side, you'll be nicely in proportion!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    One thing I realized the other day is that the upper part of my abdomen between waist and chest seemed smaller - which is an area that doesn't really change how your clothes fit unless you wear really tight tops or jackets, which I don't! Also I think my legs have gotten more toned, again not reallly noticeable since I don't wear skin tight pants. I really want my waist and the bulge between waist and hips to shrink, so I will keep at it!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I didn't change a clothing size until I hit 13 lbs. For me, it's gone in spurts. As your body redistributes the weight and your shape changes, you'll notice differences in various areas. Also, you may be losing weight evenly all over. Or in areas you don't measure like your fingers and feet or face. Give it some more time and I think you'll start to see a change. :D
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Interesting.....I've been doing the opposite: I see an increase in the scale, maybe just 1/2 lb., and when I measure myself (because I can see a difference) I am down in inches! Generally, the scale will catch up to the measuring tape though.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My tip: measure EVERYTHING!!! If you're only doing the normal chest, waist, hips, you won't notice a change in your biceps, thighs, upper abdomen, upper chest *measure above your breasts, but around your cage - I lost 3 inches here first and had to change my bra size - but also your lower chest? (right under your boobs), also check your calves, wrists, etc. and I'm sure you'll notice a change somewhere!!!
  • megumi05
    Options
    Thanks guys! These are all great tips! =D
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    hi there,

I didn't really lose inches until I lost about 10lbs and I noticed it first from my waist. I've lost 18lbs in total and lost 6inches from my waist, 8 from my hips and 3 from my bust. I think it really depends on body shape etc. Best of luck with your journey, I'd say give it a few more weeks :0)
  • karenyg
    Options
    My situation is opposite of yours, I did read where someone responded to your post and said we all are different and may loose in different ways. When I weigh in I may see 2 pounds or no change. I am loosing inches and see a difference. I ask how come my size is going down but the scale doesn't recognize it. I will keep working on this same as you we can't give up.