Is eating 800 calories okay?

Options

Replies

• fernwehwanderlust
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure of my BMR though. I used an online calculator and I don't know how accurate it was.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    You should be eating over your BMR and under your TDEE, anyway.
    The only time I eat 1200 cals is when I'm sick in bed :/
    This isn't always true though.

IE: A person weighs 200lbs. "Normal" weight would be 130lbs. BMR due to being 200lbs is 2000. No exercise and very sedentary. It would be fine to eat 1500. The whole "don't eat less than your BMR" is overused. Now if someone is within 10-15lbs or their goal, then obviously their BMR has dropped and eating under it wouldn't be the best advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    If you are referring to fasting a few days a week, it is ok! Check the latest Mosley (up to 500 calories fast diet) related to research on fasting.

I do fast once in a while. It is good for me. I feel healthier.

Edit: fasting is widely practiced in other cultures and recommended by classic philosophers, and you can research its benefits if you want to find out more about the subject.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and currently 140 pounds. So I'm just barely at a healthy weight. My general goal is 120 pounds. And my calorie intake is not constant, as sometimes I eat 100-300 less or 100-300 more. And I'm beginning to try to incorporate exercise, mainly running and bicycling and some home strength workouts. The problem is I'm not fit, which is one of my main goals of weight loss. Anything else?

This post is so evidence of how everybody's body is different. I'm the same height and weight as you just working to lose the last few pounds. Any more and I'll start to look anorexic. I've always been more muscular.

To get fit and be fit your body needs to have exercise to run off of, which you're not going to get if you don't feed it. I'd say as long as every day is not an 800 calorie day you're probably fine, especially if you are over a couple of days a week and it all averages out. I personally can eat 800 calories just for lunch after a 5-600 calorie breakfast. Add a small piece of fruit after school and I'm pretty much done except for on workout days.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Some days I just CANT eat anymore... And I really don't feel like I should force myself to eat when I'm not hungry..

So I'm under my "goal" by quite a lot... I think as long as it's not every day it won't hurt you...
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You'll be okay. You probably eat a little more in the following/preceding days anyway. If not, you'll still be okay as long as this isn't a crazy purposeful habit. And as long as you aren't the guy from Ripleys who has to eat like 10000 calories a day to live.
  • ywalchle
    ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    No no. I'm not eating 800 calories everyday. I'm just seeing if its okay to do every so often, like once a month or something.

Doing so once in a while will not kill you or send you into starvation mode. But it's not recommended to get into that habit either.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Never mind
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    No no. I'm not eating 800 calories everyday. I'm just seeing if its okay to do every so often, like once a month or something.

Yeah, on occasion, that's fine. Plenty of people do intermittent fasting and some studies have shown there are considerable benefits to it. It's prolonged gross caloric restriction that causes problems, not intermittent fasting.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your BMR of 1500 sounds in the right ballpark. I'm near your stats, but older, and mine is in the 1400's. You must have chosen totally sedentary to get a TDEE of 1800 at age 23.

Since you are within 20 pounds of your goal weight, you shouldn't eat less than BMR.

Eat 1500, get some more exercise. (It doesn't have to be any certain kind of exercise, even 30 minutes of walking every day). You will lose weight.

800 really is not okay for someone your size, even once in awhile, unless you are so ill you cannot keep anything down. It's not going to kill you, but it is totally not necessary, and not a habit you want to get in.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Doing so once in a while will not kill you or send you into starvation mode. But it's not recommended to get into that habit either.

There is no starvation mode. Please stop.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think even 1200 is too low for most people (except medical issues, very old, dwarfism etc.)

Have a look at this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/310489-the-reason-why-starving-yourself-will-not-work
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    In fact, I'd like to eat more, but I'm trying to only eat when I'm hungry, otherwise I tend to graze all day, or eat too much.

Trading one kind of disordered eating habit for another kind of disordered eating habit isn't the best plan. It can be a slippery slope. Why not eat a healthy amount which will still allow you to lose weight, without demonizing any specific food groups? If you can "just eat about 800 calories once in awhile" to control eating, then you should be able to learn "just eat about 1500 calories every day" to control eating.
  • nicolafindlay39
    Options
    I am eating 1400 to 1500 calories a day and losing a lot more than a 1lb a week , but it will depend how much weight you need to lose if any at all. Just eat sensibly and eat the type of food you like. I think eating only 800 is unhealthy even short term. I hope you get on ok . Good luck :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna suggest something different. Do you know your body fat percentage? At your weight and height, if you don't have much muscle, I can see why you think you need to lose 20 more pounds. But MY GUESS is that what you really need to do is lose maybe 5 more pounds, BUT decrease your body fat percentage. If you lower your BF%, I think you'll be much happier with your body.

It's all just an estimate. And the different ways to measure body fat percentage will all give you a different answer. But there's online calculators like this one http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

It's just a place to start. And I'm just guessing.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I've just been eating the amount MFP suggested for one pound weight loss a week, and I'm also not sure how accurate my BMR is, considering I did this online.

And, I'd let to clarify a bit on my question. I want to know if eating 100-300 calories less than 1200 every so often is harmful. I don't do this on purpose, but sometimes it happens. In fact, I'd like to eat more, but I'm trying to only eat when I'm hungry, otherwise I tend to graze all day, or eat too much.

I used to do metabolic testing in a hospital, and the online calculators are very good. That's why an equation is out there for people to use--it's been tested and tested and found to be on track for 98+% of the population. So you need to eat, at the very least, your BMR. Otherwise, stuff like hair loss starts to occur. Are you trying to be skinny AND bald?
  • acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    800 calories. .. For dinner right? Right? No?

more than 800 calories for a single meal is too much.

should be between 600 and 800
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Is eating 800 calories okay?

In one meal, yes. In a day, no.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    for the TL;DR crowd...
    per day? NO.
  • Cranquistador