Pure protein shakes?

Options
Are they edible, or super gross?
I make protein shakes with fruit and veggies blended in for breakfast usually, but I'd love to be able to get a little more protein with something that has snack-sized calories. I believe the pure protein shakes are 23 grams for 120 calories, which is pretty good. It's 8.50 for 4 bottles though, which seems expensive to me (lawl college.) I'd happily buy them if I'm not going to find out they're disgusting. I know protein shakes are never the most delicious things ever, but some are better than others.

I'd love it if you guys could let me know :D Being a picky vegetarian (who is trying to cut out cheese due to cost/binge triggering) sucks in the protein department.

Edit - chocolate or vanilla, if I should get them?

Replies

• tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    8.50 for four bottles? Ouch. Why not just use a protein powder?
  • cicilya
    cicilya Posts: 4
    Options
    Ive had them. They arent totally gross but the trick is they have to be extremley cold. I put them inthe freezer so it gets really cold and they are bareable. I like the vanilla because it tastes like melted ice cream.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    8.50 for four bottles? Ouch. Why not just use a protein powder?

I do, but when I make shakes it always ends up being higher calorie than a snack. I'd like an alternative.
    (I use a special protein powder that was recommended for sleeve patients, I'm having one done in may)
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I use Premier Protein shakes, and they taste fine. 30 grams of protein, 160 calories. I buy a case of 24 from Costco for about $20.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It depends on the shake. I'm using Isopure ZERO Carb ZERO fat protein shakes (you have to watch the flavors--some are low carb, rather than zero carb, which is what I want, and some have some fat), and they pretty much taste like booty. Actually, that's not entirely true. They taste "okay", just really watered down because I mix them with water. They're very expensive, though ($18.50 for 1 lb. or $42.92 for 3 lb. at Amazon), however they're 50 grams of protein (which makes them 200 calories in 12 oz. of water. 1 gram protein = 4 calories). I mix one up, then simply chug it while holding my breath, then follow up with water. They would probably taste better mixed with 8 oz. water, but the instructions call for 12 oz. They're also pretty high in sodium (320gm/serving), so I drink TONS of water, otherwise I bloat.

The Creamy Vanilla is the only pure protein one I've tried so far. I have the Dutch Chocolate, too, but that has 3gm carbs. I neglected to read closely before I bought it.

I'm doing a pure protein diet where I do nothing but these shakes for 2 weeks, then add in leafy and cruciferous veggies for a week, then back to the shakes for 2 weeks. Lather, rinse, repeat. They contain a lot of additional vitamins and minerals, though, so I won't develop scurvy or anything, plus I take a lot of additional supplements, including fiber supplements.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I use Premier Protein shakes, and they taste fine. 30 grams of protein, 160 calories. I buy a case of 24 from Costco for about $20.

Same here. Taste is pretty decent so long as they are cold. I go for the chocolate kind as I need to trick myself into thinking its a milkshake.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Protein powder + water + ice + blender = shake!

You don't need any other ingredients. Maybe use unsweetened almond milk if you want it to be creamier. It is only 30 calories per cup but it isn't as cheap as water.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It depends on the shake. I'm using Isopure ZERO Carb ZERO fat protein shakes (you have to watch the flavors--some are low carb, rather than zero carb, which is what I want, and some have some fat), and they pretty much taste like booty. Actually, that's not entirely true. They taste "okay", just really watered down because I mix them with water. They're very expensive, though ($18.50 for 1 lb. or $42.92 for 3 lb. at Amazon), however they're 50 grams of protein (which makes them 200 calories in 12 oz. of water. 1 gram protein = 4 calories). I mix one up, then simply chug it while holding my breath, then follow up with water. They would probably taste better mixed with 8 oz. water, but the instructions call for 12 oz. They're also pretty high in sodium (320gm/serving), so I drink TONS of water, otherwise I bloat.

The Creamy Vanilla is the only pure protein one I've tried so far. I have the Dutch Chocolate, too, but that has 3gm carbs. I neglected to read closely before I bought it.

I'm doing a pure protein diet where I do nothing but these shakes for 2 weeks, then add in leafy and cruciferous veggies for a week, then back to the shakes for 2 weeks. Lather, rinse, repeat. They contain a lot of additional vitamins and minerals, though, so I won't develop scurvy or anything, plus I take a lot of additional supplements, including fiber supplements.

This sounds miserable.
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad. It keeps my mind off food, and I certainly don't want seconds! LOL!
  • Pogo59
    Pogo59 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm not sure about shakes, but a friend of mine at work totally endorsed Pure Protein Plus bars -- they have over 20 grams of protein per bar and he eats one each morning to keep the hunger pangs away -- since he has lost over 120 pounds, I have faith in him.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like Vega Protein Smoothie powder mix in Tropic Tango. It is formulated by vegan professional Ironman triathlete Brendan Brazier and tastes good - not thick & too rich like the whey based protein powders - I use water with mine. Dairy, gluten, and soy free.
    Nutrition facts on label: per 1 scoop (23.3 g) serving - 90 cal, 0 fat, 4g carb (-1g fibre for 3 net carbs), 15 g protein.
    It does have a touch of stevia, but is not oversweet and the 2 sugar grams on the label come from the mango, peach, orange, pineapple, and papaya in it.
    It's at GNC's in Canada & the US (I get mine from my local pharmacy, it's pretty widely distributed in Western Canada) http://myvega.com/

It's tasty & works well if you want to stay away from so much dairy.
  • sassimac
    sassimac Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is it absolutely necessary to do the protein shakes? I was really hoping to not have to them. I take medications and really need to eat something.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Is it absolutely necessary to do the protein shakes? I was really hoping to not have to them. I take medications and really need to eat something.

I only do protein shakes after a heavy lift day. I eat all the foods and take a shake when I need a protein boost.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options

I actually think creamy vanilla isopure zero carb is really good if you mix it with some frozen fruit. Sure, you add in carbs this way but it doesn't have to be a lot and it's nice that there are no carbs in the actual powder. Blending it with frozen strawberries tastes like a creamy strawberry milkshake. I love this powder. I regret buying Shakeology.