Salmon, Tilapia, and other fish

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
So, I really need to eat more fish. The problem is that my kids are not very fond of it. I want to start incorporating it into our meal plans, but other than baking it, I really have nothing else in my repertoire for fish. My kids have agreed to try some new things so long as I serve something other than baked fish. What are some of your favorite fish recipes? I'm particularly looking for good ideas with how to prepare salmon and tilapia, but if you have other good fish recipes, please feel free to share.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm curious too as I really kinda suck for buying and preparing fish... though I would love to do so.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cilantro-lime-tilapia-tacos.html

Fish Tacos? I'm interested to read some ideas as well. Other than fish sticks, my kids won't touch fish :laugh:

ETA: never tried the skinnytaste recipe, just pulled it from a quick search for fish tacos
  • S_Murphree
    Options
    Just an idea. Coat in egg whites. Then roll in bread crumbs. Panko is my favorite. Spray with nonstick spray and bake. Makes a crunchy version.

Personally I like my fish sprinkled with cajun seasoning, topped with lemon and baked. Or instead of cajun, you can use lemon pepper or blackening seasoning.

What about fish tacos? Top with salsa.... Ooops didn't see the taco suggestion above. Sorry.

Oh. I found a recipe from Sandra Lee's website for fish cakes. You bake fish, add bread crumbs, mustard, etc. (like a crab cake). Instead of frying in a ton of oil, I cooked mine in skillet with nonstick spray. They were delicious.

Just ideas. Good luck.
  • MissKim78
    MissKim78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My bf and I pan fry tilapia with some spices. A lemon garlic mixture (we bought Club House), salt and black pepper. I am NOT a fan of fish and with a little splash of vinegar, it actually tastes good!

I prefer haddock or cod as those don't taste as "fishy" to me. And we've used the Parmesean Shake & Bake on haddock (this can be pan fried too but tastes better in the oven) and it was amazing!

Grilled in tinfoil on the bbq with some bbq sauce works too....not as healthy but almost doesn't even taste like fish! LOL
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, fish tacos!! I dip the fish in hot sauce and then panko and pan fry it. Then add whatever toppings you want. Delicious.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just an idea. Coat in egg whites. Then roll in bread crumbs. Panko is my favorite. Spray with nonstick spray and bake. Makes a crunchy version.

Personally I like my fish sprinkled with cajun seasoning, topped with lemon and baked. Or instead of cajun, you can use lemon pepper or blackening seasoning.

What about fish tacos? Top with salsa.... Ooops didn't see the taco suggestion above. Sorry.

Oh. I found a recipe from Sandra Lee's website for fish cakes. You bake fish, add bread crumbs, mustard, etc. (like a crab cake). Instead of frying in a ton of oil, I cooked mine in skillet with nonstick spray. They were delicious.

Just ideas. Good luck.
    I do that and call them Crabby Patties (from SpongeBob).Totally sells the kids on this!

ETA: Flake the fish after baking, then mix it with the egg and pan fry. You can also use crab meat, canned tuna, or canned salmon.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I like to poach my haddock and tilapia filets. I spray Pam on the pan and then just lay the filets in the pan. Add a small pat of margarine on top of each filet and then surround the filets with milk(I use 2 %). The milk doesn't have to cover the fish, just surround it. Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes. The fish comes out extremely tender, moist and flaky. Sometimes I will also very lightly bread the filets but still do the same with the margarine and milk.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with your kids, I hate baked fish... it's texture just makes me want to vomit... That being said I love fish. My two simplest suggestions are 1. check out the dirty dozen list. 2. pan fry your fish dusted in whatever seasonings you like and flour and cook in butter AND oil. The oil keeps the butter from burning at temps hot enough to give you a nice texture on the fish. The butter of course imparts a delicious buttery-ness to the fish.
  • LaraBoBara
    LaraBoBara Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have one for tilapia where I bake for 15 min at 425. Coat with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, oregano, fresh garlic and parsley . It was really delicious and really quick!
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My favorite way to prepare salmon is to place thin slices of lemon alternated with pickled jalepenos on the top. I drizzle some of the pepper juice all over it. Shake a little salt and pepper on it. It is very tasty :)
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I haaaaaaate fish not covered in batter and deep fried but I found a way I could eat Tilapia and Haddock and not want to throw up. I mix italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and grated parmesan cheese with whole wheat flour, pat the fish dry with paper towels and then dip it in egg scrambled with milk, and then coat the fish in the flour mixture. Pan fry in coconut oil or olive oil for about 2 minutes on each side, and it has a nice seasoned crust without too many added calories. Then I drizzle some lemon juice on it and it's pretty good!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2008/05/tender-grilled-salmon.html

Another great salmon dish - Teriyaki. Mix 6 tablespoons teriyaki sauce with a tablespoon or two of brown sugar. Brush olive oil on both sides of salmon filets and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sear in a hot pan for 3 mintues per side (longer if very thick). Then pour sauce over fish and cook for one minute, flip and cook for one more minute. The sauce wil thicken and glaze the fish. My whole family LOVES this fish.

For tilapia, mix a little plain yogurt, shredded Parmesan, lemon juice, herbs of your choice, garlic, etc. and spread over fish. Then broil until the topping bubbles.
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like to cook the fish regularly -- either in a pan ontop of the stove with a little oil or baked with lemon juice and S&P ... and then crumble it into pasta ... hit it with a little parm, lemon juice, and olive oil .... Kids love anything with pasta

Also, I make a fish stew .... Make the base of it like any other soup/stew ... onions, garlic, celery, and carrots .. all diced and cooked in olive oil until soft .. then add in some fresh baby spinach or kale for extra veggies... add in a broth . either vegetable broth or fish broth ... and then add in chunks of a hearty fish (one that doesnt flake easily when cooked) or shellfish, or a mix of both--- think swordfish, salmon, halibut, shrimp, clams, mussels, etc. Serve it with some crusty wheat bread to dip it in ... its soo good!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I like to cook the fish regularly -- either in a pan ontop of the stove with a little oil or baked with lemon juice and S&P ... and then crumble it into pasta ... hit it with a little parm, lemon juice, and olive oil .... Kids love anything with pasta

Also, I make a fish stew .... Make the base of it like any other soup/stew ... onions, garlic, celery, and carrots .. all diced and cooked in olive oil until soft .. then add in some fresh baby spinach or kale for extra veggies... add in a broth . either vegetable broth or fish broth ... and then add in chunks of a hearty fish (one that doesnt flake easily when cooked) or shellfish, or a mix of both--- think swordfish, salmon, halibut, shrimp, clams, mussels, etc. Serve it with some crusty wheat bread to dip it in ... its soo good!

The stew I'm really interested in. Thanks all... these are some great ideas.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I love all kinds of fish and I always pre-soak mine in a mix of milk and water before I do anything with it.

Pan fry, baked with lemon (my favorite), but yeah, my kids won't eat it either unless it's "fish sticks" so I may try that other recipe put on here earlier suggesting baking with bread crumbs.

Salmon croquets are good.

Baked fish cakes

Tuna fish sandwiches are pretty awesome, but I'd add some alfalfa sprouts for greenery...plus...I like alfalfa sprouts.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    A lovely lady on my FL recently told me that she likes swai fish because it doesn't have a strong, fishy taste. I just bought some at Kroger, and it was also pretty inexpensive. I am trying it today.
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    my favorite way to prepare fish, including salmon, is to fry. add simple salt and pepper while cooking and a slice of lemon to serve. leftover cooked salmon is also great on top of a salad (or you can use canned, not sure if they have low sodium canned).
    your kids might like it if you serve fish with BAKED 'fries' ie: fresh potatoes cut up and sprayed with oil or lightly oiled, baked. then you can call it 'fish and chips'! great with a salad.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    in for ideas as well :)
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle my Tilapia with cumin and chili seasoning and garlic salt saute in olive oil ,coconut oil or sesame oil . I add 1 tbsp of Taco Bell Bold and creamy chipotle sauce and diced tomatoes. Maybe not for the kids as sauce has a very mild kick but oh so good .
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I sear it in a pan (no oil or butter) with onions and jalapeno peppers. I add a little green tea for moisture so it will not burn... It may not sound as tasty as all the breaded suggestions... but I am very calorie conscious and the spice revs up my metabolism while satisfying my taste buds. Keep in mind... I do not have children at home. My option requires more of an adult appetite.

If I had a family at home I would split the meal and cook two options... the low calorie/fat option described above for me and for the kids... I would cube the fish, bread it in a egg/crumb mixture or a deep fry batter (http://www.food.com/recipe/batter-for-deep-frying-161589) and throw the fish cubes in a deep fryer... sounds yummy!

:-)