frustrated

Options
I started 8 weeks ago walking roughly 5 days per week to start getting some weight off. I have worked up to running (10 min miles) 16 miles per week and have a half marathon coming up mid April. I upped my fiber to 25 - 30g per day, thinking I would feel more full and not be so hungry. I also added doing the "300" workout one day per week with the goal to do it 2x per week in between running. This workout involves doing pushups, v-ups, kettlebells, etc for about 25min. It's really tough...it's the 50 burpees right in the middle that are killer. Anyway, I weighed 145lbs (I'm 5'6") 8 weeks ago. Yesterday, I weighed 142lbs. I have logged my food pretty consistently (I usually do not log dinner because I cook and it's just tedious, but I estimate 600 calories at dinner), even had my doctor do blood work to check my thyroid. I'm 37 years old. Why am I not super thin right now???? My jeans are NOT looser. They are not so tight in my waist, but are tight still in my thighs. My arms and midsection are much leaner, but even as recently as last year, I could run for a while and get my weight down to 136...which is a good weight for me, I think. Also, feel free to tell me to stop obsessing so much. I really appreciate your help and advice!

Replies

• bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but with the exercise you're doing I'm guessing you're building more muscle mass, which weighs more than fat.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    1) Weight loss takes time.
    2) It takes even more time when you don't have a lot to lose.
    3) If you're not weighing your foods, your calorie count may not be very exact.
    4) Stop obsessing.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I would wager that it's because your caloric deficit is less than what you might believe it to be. That tends to happen when you make broad estimates with logging (which you've admitted to doing regularly). That being said, it's not like losing three pounds in eight weeks is a bad thing.

It also gets more difficult to shed weight the less you have to lose, so that might be a factor (depending on how tall you are, for instance). There could also be some water retention for muscle repair purposes, if you're working out a lot.

There's no cause for panic, but actually logging your dinners would be helpful.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the main thing everyone is going to tell you is to log everything you eat. My guess is that you are eating more than you think. If you are using the phone app, it only take a second to scan the barcodes on your food to bring up the nutritional info. Once you start logging everything you will be able to get a better understanding of what is actually going on.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but with the exercise you're doing I'm guessing you're building more muscle mass, which weighs more than fat.

notsomuch.

grace nailed it.

weigh/measure everything.
    we are notoriously bad at estimating.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I suggest you start logging your dinners. It takes time before you get good at estimating what you eat. Get a food scale and start logging your dinners, they might have way more calories than you think.

Like Grace said, it takes time too, and you seem to be close to your ideal weight based on your height, and it will take even longer.

If you are getting leaner I'd call that progress, even if it's in certain areas only. Everyone carries their weight different and sometimes people lose more on some areas than other areas, usually not at the same time.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    you dont log dinner? lmao. get to loggin.
  • lunapetu0311
    Options
    Let me just say that I go through the SAME thing. I exercise 4-5 times per week (running and cross fit) and eat really healthy. Over the last year, I have not lost ANY weight. 5 weeks ago I started counting calories to see if that will help me finally lose weight. I have only lost 3lbs in the 5 weeks (though I am eating at the 1.5lb/week calorie level).

It sounds like you are in a normal weight range, correct? I am in my healthy weight range for my height but want to get on the lower end. I think when you are so close to your "correct" weight, it's just really hard for the body to lose (unless you do something really extreme and unhealthy).

Just keep doing what you're doing and try to realize that you have a healthy body no matter what the scale says :) Good luck!
  • jnmpickering
    jnmpickering Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    At 142 lbs, your BMI is around 23%, which is healthy. My best recommendation is to re-evaluate your calorie intake. I realize putting in recipes is tedious, but it is necessary for you to accurately track your intake. Take the time to do it. It's for you. Your body is also replacing the fat with muscle, which on the scale looks like you aren't losing any weight. If you are noticing leaner mass, then you are on the right track. Try using a measuring tape from GNC to track your hips, waist, and neck. This may show you better results than the scale right now. Good luck, and yes, stop obsessing.

BMI site: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm
    Healthy BMI range for adults: http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi
  • kadavis08
    Options
    thanks very much, and you're right, I am in the healthy range for my height. I just want to be thinner. :)
  • kadavis08
    Options
    You all are right about logging dinner and I wish I had taken a before and after pic, because I know I've made progress in how my body looks. And the measuring tape...GRRR, I could kick myself for not doing that. I'll keep working, thanks again! I appreciate the encouragement.