Replies

• chelseawinslow7
    Options
    I love making my own tuna burgers!

1 can of tuna
    1 egg
    1 tbsp oatmeal
    1 tbsp garlic

Mix ingredients together and form two balls of mix. Squish onto hot pan to form patties. Cook until both sides are brown and crispy.

Sometimes after I flip the burgers I top shredded cheese on top for a tuna melt

Sometimes
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Lettuce (2 cups)
    avocado (cubes)
    olive oil with fine herbs or light light dressing
    Can of Tuna (in water)
    little tomatoes and cucumbers (as much as you want)

Enjoy!
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I like to make tuna patties with them. I use:
    2 cans of chunk light tuna in water
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    Any herbs and spice that you wish

Cook them in a skillet with nonstick spray until golden brown and crispy.

The batter yields about 20 1 tablespoon size servings for about 25 cals each. They're very filling with the protein and fiber.

This sounds awesome...thanks
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    In for canned tuna ideas! I also need to use what's in my pantry more.

And this: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/8-ways-to-prepare-tuna.html

I also make tuna salad sandwhiches/wraps or just on crackers or cucumber slices. I use avocado instead of mayo and add some spices and lemon juice. Very tasty!
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Open a can, stick a fork in it, and drop it at his place at the table. Then announce that you're going out for something nice to eat.

:flowerforyou: Oh man oh man. Solid advice, maybe I'll try it on a day he hasn't been at work since 5AM!!

For those who joined in for tuna ideas, I'm going with http://homecookingmemories.com/portobello-tuna-melts/ - Everything needed we have except for the mushrooms! Getting served with balsamic roasted asparagus and garlic bread. Yum yum yum. But I'm excited to try most of these delicious looking ideas. I honestly go a bit nuts with buying canned goods (bad habbit picked up from my mom) so we have approximately 15 cans of tuna right now that should probably get used up before I go grocery shopping and pick up another 5! Stoked for the tuna patties ideas!
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mix in a can of tuna with a package of Knorr Pasta Sides (I like the Alfredo Fettuccini). Easy peazy
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this!
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why not go with a classic? This is my version of Better Homes & Gardens' recipe (added more veg otherwise pretty much the same)

Tuna Noodle Casserole:
    4 oz noodles (I like using No Yolks dumplings)
    1 cup chopped celery
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    8 oz sliced mushrooms
    1 large red bell pepper finely diced
    1/4 cup butter
    1/4 cup flour
    2 Tbsp dijon mustard
    2 cups 1% milk
    2 - 5 oz cans white tuna in water, drained
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    caesar croutons, crushed (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F. In large saucepan, cook noodles according to package and drain.

For sauce, in medium pan, cook celery, onion, mushrooms and bell pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour, mustard, and 1/4 tsp of ground black pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir (thoroughly to remove lumps) until slightly thickened and bubbly.

Gently fold cooked noodles into sauce. Add tuna and peas. Transfer to 9x13 pan that has been greased or sprayed. Top with crouton crumbs. Baked uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Enjoy!

P.S. The first time I made this I cooked the sauce until it seemed thick enough but it had a bit of a floury taste to me. Now I make sure to let the flour cook in the butter/veg mix for a minute or so and will also let the sauce cook a bit longer than it appears to need to. It'll get "thickened and bubbly" but instead of stopping there, I give it an extra 5 minutes or so to cook. That seemed to help with the taste/texture.

I'm trying this!!!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    BUMP for tuna ideas!

...I like it as an open-faced sandwich, I toast it in the oven and eat it with tomato soup. -YUM!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    http://www.rippedrecipes.com/recipe/twobfit-sweet-potuna-patties-1003.html

Ingredients
    2 oz Onions
    6 oz Sweet Potato
    1 wedge or slice (1/8 of one 2-1/8" dia lemon) Lemon
    1 tsp Black Pepper
    5 leaves Basil
    3 tsp Thyme
    1 large Egg
    1 pepper Jalapeno Peppers
    2 serving (serving = 1 can drained) Chicken of the Sea Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water

Directions
    Mix the following together in a bowl:
    Small sweet potato (6oz) grated
    2 cans well-drained tuna (8oz)
    1/4c onion (1oz) diced
    Lemon wedge grated
    1 egg
    1t Cracked pepper
    1T fresh basil
    1T fresh lemon thyme
    Jalapeño, chili pepper, & salt to taste

Form into 4 patties like snowballs and place on a George Foreman or pan fry on medium heat with a little coconut oil
  • GrnEydBndit
    GrnEydBndit Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love doing this!! So good. Add in almond slivers for a nice crunch :smile:
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a family member with an anaphylactic dairy allergy, so I make a non-dairy tuna casserole. No baking needed, and only 239 calories per 1 measuring cup serving. You could get the calories even lower by adding mushrooms (my kids won't eat mushrooms, though). It's also low-sodium.

Saute 1 medium onion, chopped, and 1 celery heart (or more if you can stand it), chopped, in 1/3 cup of shortening (I use bacon fat for the flavor - be creative) until soft. Add 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, a sprinkle of chili powder (for flavor and color) and as much parsley and black pepper as you like. Add 1/4 cup white flour, mix well, and boil for 1 full minute, taking care to scrape the bottom of the pan so it doesn't burn.

(This is a French "roux"; it's how you can make any sauce or gravy base out of any liquid. You must boil the flour or you will get a "raw flour" taste afterwards.)

Turn the heat off.

Slowly, in little amounts, stirring after each addition & scraping up the bottom, add 3 cups of PLAIN soy milk. (do Not use Vanilla, ick). If you have unsweetened soy milk, that's even better than plain. Turn the heat back on and bring to a boil for 1 full minute, scraping the bottom to make sure nothing burns down there.

Add one 12 ounce can of tuna, UNDRAINED (it adds flavor), flaked apart into small pieces, one 10 ounce package of frozen peas (best if microwaved first in a separate container), and 12 ounces of cooked pasta (well, it was 12 ounces before being cooked - or 3/4 of a 1 lb box). Mix well and heat through. Adjust seasonings, and add a little more soy milk if it seems too try (some pasta shapes need more sauce than others).

I serve it just like that, out of the pot. We sprinkle it at the table with regular or vegan grated parmesan cheese (depending on who's eating it).

If it's runny, it's because you missed one of the boiling steps; either boiling the fat/flour mixture or the fat/flour/soy milk mixture, or you failed to use measuring cups.

Notice there's no added salt in my recipe. There's enough salt in the tuna, tuna juice, soy milk, pasta and frozen peas (and bacon grease).

This recipe makes 12 one-cup servings, which each have 239 calories, 29 carbs, 9 grams of fat, 14 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and only 145 mg of sodium.

My recipe is adapted from an excellent website called "Cooking for Engineers" and my notes on how to make it non-dairy are included on that website. If you ever need to know how to cook something, the Engineers will not steer you wrong.
    http://www.cookingforengineers.com/
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
  • kellylee6887
    kellylee6887 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like to make tuna patties with them. I use:
    2 cans of chunk light tuna in water
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    Any herbs and spice that you wish

Cook them in a skillet with nonstick spray until golden brown and crispy.

The batter yields about 20 1 tablespoon size servings for about 25 cals each. They're very filling with the protein and fiber.

My husband loves cold tuna salad, but absolutely despises anything with "hot" tuna. But these sound delish to me and would be great for a quick lunch.