Introduction/ Lasts nights mess up

Options
Hello! I am rather new to MFP and I absolutely love it. I have been doing this for a few weeks now (this time) I didn't record my weight until I had lost the first 4 lbs. so I am actually further along than the app tells me. I used MFP about a year ago and made great progress. I just started up again. I have been sort of shy here in the community but I wanted to get out there. Last night I went way overboard at this really amazing restaurant I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this. I have been doing so well and been on track with my approx.. 2lbs per week loss. Last night was a total mess up and I'm afraid of the setback. Any words will help as I'm completely shameful and upset today that I let myself do this. It seriously is an addiction for me. All the self talk in the world could not have prepared me for that last night........... I'm disappointed in myself. I am either looking for words of reassurance or a verbal BEAT DOWN for letting myself slip. lol

Replies

• TylerAvenger
    Options
    Just forget about it and move on. One night might set you back a little, but it's not the end of the world.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    We all do it. Move on.
  • hilly510
    hilly510 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One thing that could be helpful as sort of a big picture exercise is to try and emulate a really bad day before you started tracking. I've probably had days where I ate 1500 calories for breakfast, 1500 for lunch, and 4000 for dinner. Then compare it to yesterday. It probably isn't so bad of a slip.

Try to reflect on what triggered this. Is it that you're too restricting and you want to eat more sometimes? Is it the high salt? Alcoholic drinks? High fat/grease content? Work through that problem.

You should drink plenty of water to flush out the extra sodium you took in, plan out your day and stick with it. We ALL have bad days. I have them about weekly, but I try to keep a little control. And even when I lose control its not as bad as what I used to eat daily. Its important to not let that one meal get you down. Stick with it!

Just because you dropped your phone today doesn't mean its useless and you should smash it to a pulp :-)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Honey pie, when you fall off the horse on your journey, you don't wait until the next day to remount...you climb back on immediately!
    It happens, and yes, it's happened to MOST of us. There are those that are better than the majority but I personally do not carry that degree of self control.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    One crap day out of a few weeks is not going to hurt you. Unless you ate 3500 calories over your goal, you're not gonna gain anything. Figure out what triggered it and eliminate the trigger. If it was because you thought you had been depriving yourself for a few weeks, stop depriving yourself and just eat what you want in moderation. :-)
  • lizzylou36
    Options
    Yesterday was not a good day for me either! Can't blame it on a amazing rest. Mine was emotional...it is a huge addiction for me. I eat when I'm sad, happy, bored, or even when I'm doing good..gotta reward myself (sigh) But instead of us beating ourselves up we should realize today is a new day! Don't get so hung up on yesterdays mistakes..this is going to me as well as you..lol I have been a "diet" for 20 years prob. and I realize, I have got to rethink, my thinking..lol if that makes sense! I am heavier than I have ever been and I really do feel tired of it, but there is a tiny part of me that is scared. I have been heavy for so long its like I think if I lose the weight it I will lose a piece of me (emotionally) Oh yeah I'm suppose to be encouraging you..lol Sorry I'm a lil ADD!! So bottom line don't beat yourself up to bad, just next time try to remember how the dispointment in yourself felt! :flowerforyou:
  • neent10
    neent10 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your words! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who messes up. Also, the funny thing is, it actually made me a little sick. I have been eating extremely CLEAN for about a month and I didn't last night and I was running to the bathroom all night long with an awful stomach ache. I think this is a direct result and wonderful sign that I have been doing the right things. I just hope I didn't set myself back much...
  • wolfsmouth
    wolfsmouth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have at least 2 "slip ups" a week, truthfully. But, the next day, I just get back on my horse and carry on! I drink lots of water (with lemon, because it'll help digest whatever I splurge on) and try not to beat myself up. :smile:
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I went WAY off my plan last night too. Binged on ice cream, cheese, and cookies. Today is a new day so we both have a chance to continue working towards our goals.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Just remember how crappy you felt being over stuffed and how guilty you felt about it later. That's always a good reminder for me.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    meh One day won't kill you. I do it every once in a while. Sometimes you have to.
  • SCSmalley
    SCSmalley Posts: 18
    Options
    One crap day out of a few weeks is not going to hurt you. Unless you ate 3500 calories over your goal, you're not gonna gain anything. Figure out what triggered it and eliminate the trigger. If it was because you thought you had been depriving yourself for a few weeks, stop depriving yourself and just eat what you want in moderation. :-)

I couldn't agree more. I don't "diet" per say. I don't believe in not eating particular foods because then I just want them more and I will absolutely lose control and binge on them. Everything in moderation is okay, for example, instead of 4 cookies, I have 1. Plus, a lot of diet allow you a cheat day as something to look forward to. I allow myself to cheat a little every day so I don't go nuts on that one day :) Don't dwell. Take a jog today or climb some stairs and think about your goal instead :)