Walking half marathon

Options
My friends are running the Nashville Country Music Marathon (half) in April and want me to go along. I've never done anything like this before. I think I'm going to try, but just walk it. I am not a runner and it kills my shins if I try to. Any suggestions on how to train for this or do I just go out and walk it? What makes it worse, is that it is so cold and snowy that it's going to be difficult to walk outdoors to prepare. I'm hoping to talk at least one more friend into doing it with me because I don't want to walk alone.

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Check the website and make sure it is walker friendly first. I thought all were, but there are a few that tell you the finish times and when you will no longer have traffic control. Just make sure you fall in that time.

I would so love to do that, but haven't. You have plenty of time if you start training now. They have websites that are specifically geared to training for walking a half marathon. Don't just go out and walk it.

Try www.marathonwalking.com for a training schedule.

Good Luck.
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Google Jeff Galloway. He has a lot of training plans on his site for both walking and running races. Good luck!
  • OneFitLady
    OneFitLady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I will be joining a group that will train with a local university to train to walk a 1/2 marathon. The program starts in February - May. I'm hoping to get really good nutrition information, up my speed and drop two sizes. I can drop in here when the program starts and pass on the information : )
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I had already checked and it does accept walkers...just have to finish in 4 hours. I will definitely be checking into those websites as well. Thanks again!
  • LadyBarb
    LadyBarb Posts: 116
    Options
    I did my first race when I turn 50 and it's so important to train for it in advance. I'm walker, so look around on the internet for a program, if you don't all ready have one... www.active.com is free. Good luck to you, it's so much fun
    barb
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barb and congrats on your first race!
  • sara1882000
    sara1882000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So cool that you are doing the same half as me! I might see ya there! There are a lot of training plans on the net. I'm sure you can find one there.