Should I Eat Back The Calories?

Options

Replies

• CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a calorie deficit before exercise, just following this as long as you are honest and log EVERYTHING including drinks will result in a weight loss.

If you then add exercise to it, you can eat those calories back, but if you cant get all those calories in, dont panic about it unless its regular.

If you dont eat & drink at least the original number of calories you will starve your body, if you eat your original allowance then work out and dont eat any of those back, you will starve your body.

The most impoprtant thing is to do whats right for you, which is why you will get so many diffrent responses to this question. We are all different and our bodies react in different ways. If you eat them all back all the time and its not working, try only taking 75% back, if its still not working try 50% and so on.

Just make sure you log everything that passes your lips oh, and consiger the nutritional value of what is passing your lips.

Good luck with it, happy if you want to add as a friend for support.
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong, but I thought that when you use a HRM, it is calculating both the calories from doing exercise PLUS the calories from just being alive (resting metabolism calories). Since MFP already takes into account your RM calories, then the HRM calories might be double-counting those.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, so maybe someone with more expertise can confirm or correct this.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    The most impoprtant thing is to do whats right for you, which is why you will get so many diffrent responses to this question. We are all different and our bodies react in different ways.

I was with you until I got here. With a few exceptions for medical conditions, all human beings who take in fewer calories than they burn off lose weight over the medium- and long-term. Our bodies don't react in different ways. It's all about accuracy. Hollydubs gives a perfect example above.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't. When I actually logged my exercise I didn't like the amount of calories MFP said I burnt. I'm even skeptical of my HRM. If you are hungry over your cals (when set at sedentary) and have worked out just know you can eat more and still be fine!

Personally, I am a big believer in listening to your body. If your tummy's growling you need to feed it ;)

You'll find what works for you soon enough!! Best of luck :)

By all means, we should be learning to listen to our bodies. But we also have to accept that hunger isn't the only indicator of whether or not we're getting enough to eat. The hormones that control hunger cues can be suppressed by too many things, including stress, long periods of underfeeding, or even exercise. Mood, energy levels, performance, and physical cues like healthy skin and nails also need to be taken into account.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I never eat mine back..whats the point in burning them off and then eating them back. Stay within ur daily calories and exercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I never eat mine back..whats the point in burning them off and then eating them back. Stay within ur daily calories and exercise.

So a large % of your loss doesn't come from lean muscle. Exercise is for better health and it allows you to eat more.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

So you can eat more, duh. :wink:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Why do you think MFP adds them back?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're still here, I recommend the links that Tryclyn posted, especially this one:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

And then the eat, train, progress group that s/he mentioned.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do what your body tells you to do.

If I gain an extra 200 calories to eat by walking, but eat only 1200 calories that day (instead of the 1800+200) I don't fret - as long as my body isn't hungry for anything. Same extra 200 calories on a different day and I eat the 2000 calories now allotted to me *because my body is hungry*.

TL;DR
    Hungry? Eat. Not hungry? Don't eat.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

If I gain an extra 200 calories to eat by walking, but eat only 1200 calories that day (instead of the 1800+200) I don't fret - as long as my body isn't hungry for anything. Same extra 200 calories on a different day and I eat the 2000 calories now allotted to me *because my body is hungry*.

TL;DR

No, because if you restrict your calories, appetite often disappears. It's not a reliable indicator of the nutrition you need. For example, many anorexics can go for a long time without being hungry despite the damage they are doing to their bodies.
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have lost only 20 pounds in almost a year of exercising hard and eating back my calories. So I am trying to not do so, to have a deficit. I think our bodies are different so u have to consistently try it one way, and then if it doesn't work, do things differently.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

TL;DR

While I agree that a day or two under your calorie goal isn't a big deal, I'm not a fan of the advice to not eat the extra calories unless you're hungry. Far too many people, both on these boards and lurking, use this advice to justify eating at unsafe levels because their hunger cues are out of whack. Hunger cannot be the only thing you listen to. Energy levels, mood, performance, healthy skin and nails, muscle retention, bone density, there are just too many things affected by undereating that aren't signaled by hunger alone.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

TL;DR

Because overweight people are so great at knowing when they're hungry or not hungry. :huh:

Advice like this often goes two ways.
    1) A person restricts their eating to the point where their so hungry they eat everything in sight. Or,
    2) Confusing hunger for cravings and still eats everything in sight.

Edited to omit generalization.

Edited again to add this: What you described in your personal example is called zigzagging and is fine. Plenty of people do this, but they do it consciously, not because one day they're hungry or not hungry on a certain day.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing that the OP is trying to figure out when I first came here...trying to figure out if I should eat them or not...how much do I eat back...are my burn calories correct. I went through this until I found the formula for figuring out my TDEE.

I took my tracking for a two month time period and figured out what I should be eating to obtain my desired loss. It took all the guess work out of it. So far it is working for me. I eat close to my limit and then I don't have to worry about eating back those calories. I compared my figures to what IIFYM TDEE Calculator and I was withing 10 calories of what they gave me.

Every month I will just recalculate it and adjust if necessary.

It was on the Eat, Train and Progress Forum. Sara posted it and explained it very simply.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

For it to work you must have at least a couple of months accurate tracking.
  • EllieB_5
    Options

TL;DR

No, because if you restrict your calories, appetite often disappears. It's not a reliable indicator of the nutrition you need. For example, many anorexics can go for a long time without being hungry despite the damage they are doing to their bodies.

My apologies, I didn't realize the OP was anorexic :huh: Besides which, anorexics use all sorts of tricks to refrain from being hungry; fizzy drinks, gum, chew and spit method... so many more I can't recall. Anorexics do get hungry as the body will do what it has to do in order to survive, and that includes forcing you to be hungry. As for your appetite disappearing when you restrict calories, I didn't find any scientific articles supporting this idea. But I did find one that seems to support the idea that calorie restriction/fasting increases appetite.
    http://web.b.ebscohost.com/abstract?direct=true&profile=ehost&scope=site&authtype=crawler&jrnl=03070565&AN=9012689&h=PGOyhQr1ju3m6+EzT2wyjFvDxNI5LxlygKqSAYc3Xu6dFq4agWHQUdh72d9drj+PHAcdEOnQXtB3vZFoEM+oWQ==&crl=c

I'll keep looking though, unless you have links to real science.
  • EllieB_5
    Options

Because overweight people are so great at knowing when they're hungry or not hungry. :huh:

I could have sworn that MFP gives you goals to stay within. Isn't using this goals system all about learning a different way to feel about and look at food? These goals are also suppose to help us eat when we're hungry but eat the right things and not a lot of it. So, if you have eaten only 1200 calories, and you still have another 800 calories to go, and you're hungry, why the *kitten* can't you rely on your hunger signals and eat? That's not rhetorical either. Please explain to me why an overweight person with calories left on their goal can not eat because they're hungry.
  • hennaj22
    hennaj22 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't ever eat mine back and I lose about 2lbs a week. I also don't burn anywhere close to 1000 calories during a workout. I usually burn about 520 for cardio and I have no clue what I burn for strength training so I don't ever count that. I'm sure this wouldn't work for everyone though so just try doing it both ways (eating them back and not eating them back) and see what works best for you. Good luck!
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
  • rompydompy
    rompydompy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ok, so someone let me know if I've got this straight, please:

When we signed up on MFP, we entered our weight, age, etc. and how active we are, then entered how much weight we wanted to lose.

MFP came up with a calorie number that, WITHOUT EXERCISE, would achieve the desired weight loss through diet change alone.

ADDING exercise, we need to eat back the calories burned to remain at the initial number to maintain healthy weight loss. Correct? Not eating those calories back could result in unhealthy, unsustainable weight loss, or potentially put the body into emergency conservation mode, right?