couldn't make it through one workout, help! :)

Options
So this is my first day, & I couldn't even make it through one 35 minute workout. I died after 15 minutes. I'm doing the Brazil b*** Lift from Beachbody. I feel so awful about it! I'm 33 years old not 63 years old!

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Yes but you started! And tomorrow you'll make it a minute or two longer and before you know it, you'll be busting out the whole video and wondering what to do next because it's gotten too easy. :)
  • Honeycat89
    Honeycat89 Posts: 149
    Options
    My first session I did 10 minutes on the step machine and nearly passed out! Now 6 months down the line I can do 45 mins on level 12 on cross trainer followed by step machine! You just need to build it up :)
  • jsantus
    jsantus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's to be expected for day one. Look at it this way, you spent 15 minutes bettering yourself, not sitting on the couch. Next time you'll get through 18 minutes and before you know it, you'll be blasting through the 35 minutes and looking for more. I promise!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bust out the old adage....

"if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

You will make it through that workout; not today, maybe not tomorrow... but you will. If you keep trying. What's that other one? Oh yeah, practice makes perfect. And it's so true.

Don't be discouraged that you didn't finish, be proud that you tried. :flowerforyou:
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I did a cardio class once I had to leave after about 15 minutes I felt like I was gonna pass out, this lady prob in her late 60's, stops me and says "don't give up honey" lol I thought krikey that's embarrassing, but I kept at it and now I can blow through it. Baby steps you will see improvements, some show faster than others but you feel great when you see them.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A lot of workout videos are really hard. I run, do yoga, and kettlebells regularly. This Jillian Michaels kettlebell workout nearly killed me. So I went to a different kb workout for several weeks. Went back to Jillian yesterday and it killed me less, but I was still shaky and nauseas afterwards. LOL

Moral of the story: It's OK. :)
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    Options
    Beach Body workouts are no joke, just take it day by day. Everyday try to make it a little further and eventually you will be able to make it through the whole thing. I haven't been working out long only about 2.5 months but I can already see a huge difference in my endurance, just don't give up, keep pushing yourself and you will see a big difference in no time. Modify the moves if you need to.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    So ****ing what?

They key is to get better each time, not to be perfect from day one. I mean did you just go up one day and started to walk, or did it take a lot of falling, tumbling and handholding?

Why should this be any different?
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    15 min is way longer than I lasted when I started!

Keep at it!

Your body will adjust to the change quickly. I bet that in 2 - 3 weeks you will be able to get through an entire workout. Maybe with a few stops to catch your breath? But, you will finish.
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It gets easier as you go. You're starting from nothing, so you can't expect yourself to be at that level yet. Do what you can and you'll notice you can do a little more each time. Not that it will FEEL easier at the time really. If it starts feeling easy it's time for something more intense :)
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred I completed 8 minutes. I kept doing it til I could finish the 30 minute workout.
    Keep trying you'll get there!
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The first time I ever went on an elliptical, I made it through 10 minutes before I thought I was going to die.

If that doesn't make you feel better then I got nothing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you didn't die... you should've paused the dvd, grabbed some water, catch your breath, and then keep going.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break - it's your first day! You should feel proud that you got through 15 minutes. I'm not familiar with that particular workout, but I remember having a hard time getting through a few FitnessBlender workouts when I started. I remember feeling like I was going to die on the treadmill after 15 minutes, and I was only power-walking! And here's the kicker - I was in my early 20's and not even actually overweight!

It'll get better, trust me. You just have to keep trying. Push yourself a little further each time and, before you know it, you'll do that 35 minute workout on your rest day.

Congrats on making the effort - it's more than a lot of people will ever do!
  • DJManos
    DJManos Posts: 220
    Options
    Yes but you started! And tomorrow you'll make it a minute or two longer and before you know it, you'll be busting out the whole video and wondering what to do next because it's gotten too easy. :)
    This more than anything else!!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - Lao Tzu
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    Options
    Or you can start with a little easier workout and work your way up. I do fitnessblender, I started with their 4 week Low Impact Workout Plan and when it starts to warm up outside (cause I'll be working out in my garage) I'm going to do one of their 8 week plans. I talk about fitnessblender ALOT but honestly they are awesome.
  • brinas1217
    Options
    For now just do what you can...anything is better than nothing. On my first day I couldn't even keep my feet on the elliptical and I felt like I would pass out my heart was beating so hard. Now I do a minimum of 45 mins a day on the the elliptical plus other cardio as well as strength training 4 days a week. You can do this and every time you work out you will see small changes when you watch for them. Good luck to you!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You started it!!! Each day will get easier. The first time I ever got on an elliptical machine I couldn't do more than 5 minutes, now I can go for 25-45 minutes without thinking twice.

Give yourself credit for starting! Good luck!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    you didn't die... you should've paused the dvd, grabbed some water, catch your breath, and then keep going.

This. It will get easier.
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You have two choices, stay determined and try again or quit. You've already taken the first step by trying.

If it were me I would let it keep rolling and do a rep or few here and there as I can because sometimes it's better to suck at something than to stop trying. You will get better, you will have good days and bad days, but a bad day trying is always better than a good day not trying.