FLEX SEED

Options
I LIVE IN THE CINCINNATI, OHIO AREA, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND FLEX SEED?

Replies

• AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    You mean Flax Seed? Any store that boasts selling "organic" or "natural" things.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Some grocery stores carry ground flax - our Safeway does, Trader Joe's - if you can't find it in the grocery store (grain area) try a local health food store.

You can also order online from Bob's Red Mill or GoldenFlax.com. I order mine in seed form, bulk from GoldenFlax.com then grind it up in a small electric coffee grinder as I need it!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Organic flax seed is sold everywhere. At whole foods stores, Vitamin Shoppe, online at www.bodybuilding.com, www.vitacost.com, or www.drugstore.com.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I even found some at Walmart......
  • patio1313
    patio1313 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    TRADER JOES...
  • samiko
    samiko Posts: 34
    Options
    Buy it WHOLE and grind it yourself..if you buy it already ground chances are it's already lost it's nutritional benefit, the oil becomes rancid! Won't hurt you, but won't benefit you nearly as much!
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    What do you use if for? What are the benefits?
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    we take flax seed every am, with our vitamins.. we get ours at walmart, but any grocer or drug store ( wal greens, cvs, etc ) that carries most all vitamins would have it, even health stores....:wink:
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    I got golden flax seed at a grocery selling organic and ethnic foods. I grind it in a small grinder as needed and sprinkle a little on my cereal. It has no taste but packs a powerful nutrition punch.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    What do you use if for? What are the benefits?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=flax+seed+oil+benefits
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I use Hodgson Mill. I get it at the local Grocery. In the baking area where they have all the Hodgson Mill products. Should be able to find it at your local healthy food store as well. I buy the milled already ground. I use it every morning in my oatbran or protein shakes
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    Benefits of flax seed:

great source of fiber, lignans and omega-3 fatty acids
    potent cancer fighter
    improves immune function
    excellent for weight management (taken an hour before meal it helps you to eat less)
    stabilizes sugar levels
    lowers risk of osteoporosis and heart disease

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure that what you get is "golden flax seed" and is certified ORGANIC.
  • zumba66girl
    Options
    I just had a thing of yogurt and added a tablespoon of flaxseed....Bob's Redhill Ground. Add's more fiber to your diet.:flowerforyou:
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I definitely need something to help with weight maintenance and especially for prevention of osteoporosis.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Flax seed also prevents breast cancer and a good source for fiber.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    You can also use it as an egg replacement in baking. Just grind up enough for 1 Tbs of flax meal, and add 3 Tbs of warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes and then use as you would an egg (best for muffins, cookies...). If it calls for more than one egg, just double or triple it, based on the recipe (it equals one egg). Works like a charm and no cholesterol :smile:
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You can get it at Kroger.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I mix it into my Greek yogurt for breakfast, I use the Bob's Red Mill ground flax. You can also use it alone or mixed with bread crumbs to bread chicken breasts, etc., for baking. You can sprinkle it on cereal, oatmeal, salads - all kinds of things. It's a nutritional powerhouse, from everything I've read.
  • pursuinghappiness
    Options
    I'm in the Dayton, Ohio area and you can find it at Kroger's in their natural food section. Also, Dorothy Lane Market and Trader Joe's like others had said. Store it in the freezer so it lasts longer. In fact, I store most of my nuts/seeds in the freezer.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get the ground flax seed not the milled. The benefits are in the ground flax. You can also buy whole and grind your own. But it needs to be ground flax seed to get the benefits. You may also like the benefits of Chia Seeds, they have the same properties, higher in protein and don't have to be ground for our bodies to process them.