Low carb and chilli

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
Just wondering how other low carbers serve their chilli as standard rice is clearly out! Made some delicious chilli and need ideas :)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Texas chilli, no beans.
  • Toms_healthish_food
    Options
    For myself I might do some of the following

- One wholemeal pitta bread, either warmed through or lightly toasted
    - Handfull of nachos (Can always make your own with a cut up tortilla)
    - Stuff a Pepper with Chilli and bake in the oven
    - Serve over a baked potato/sweet potato

Although if your chilli is loaded with various types of beans you can always just have a big bowl of the stuff on its own and it will be pretty filling.

Anyway good luck
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I typically don't serve rice with my chili. Problem solved! Though, I do make mine with plenty of red and white beans.
  • sunnyeuphoria
    sunnyeuphoria Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I actually serve mine over salad greens and top with salsa, sour cream and cheese.... I don't add any beans to my chili so it stays very low carb.
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm not a 'low carber', but if I don't want rice I'll always serve chilli, curries etc with cauliflower, broken up into tiny little chunks.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    It depends on how low carb you want to go. My favourite is hot chilli (no kidney beans) with mashed sweet potato.
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I usually have chili with cornbread.

But if I was low-carbing, I'd probably ix-nay the beans and the cornbread, and add green onions, sour cream and cheese.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My family always does chili over elbow noodles. I've substituted the pasta for lightly cooked broccoli slaw and it is delicious!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Not a low carber at all, but I don't think I've ever heard of chili with rice. Is this standard fare somewhere?:huh:

ETA: I see OP is English. Anyone else?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Not a low carber at all, but I don't think I've ever heard of chili with rice. Is this standard fare somewhere?:huh:

I think it's quite common - especially if you like your chili spicy. Some people will do pasta but I've always preferred rice myself.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Texas chilli, no beans.

Exactly...................who eats rice with chili??? I have never heard of this before.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Every normal (non low carb dieting) person ears chilli with rice !!! Surely.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of Chili served with rice. We put cheese on it and the kids will scoop it with nacho chips. I will sometimes make corn bread to go with it as well. But, never rice or noodles.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I think there's a difference between chilli and "chili".
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I wonder if she's talking about how New Mexico does their Hatch Green Chili's.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options

I'm from Oklahoma, and I have never, ever, ever heard of eating chili with rice.

Most people eat it on top of hot dogs or Fritos with cheese, onions and mustard, or in a bowl with crackers and cheese and sour cream.

I like mine (I'm a low carber, Primal/Paleo) on top of a bed of iceberg lettuce with black olives, cheese and sour cream added.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I'm from Oklahoma, and I have never, ever, ever heard of eating chili with rice.

Most people eat it on top of hot dogs or Fritos with cheese, onions and mustard, or in a bowl with crackers and cheese and sour cream.

I like mine (I'm a low carber, Primal/Paleo) on top of a bed of iceberg lettuce with black olives, cheese and sour cream added.

You guys and your crazy food combo's. Lol

On hot dogs does sound nice though - the chilli dog hasn't really taken off over here.:smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have never had chilli over rice...

That said, any Texas/Range style chili I've ever had has beans as a primary ingredient...beans aren't low carb. I guess I wouldn't consider a chili with no beans to actually be chili...I guess is would just be beef and tomatoes and chili powder.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    Options
    I have never had chilli over rice...

That said, any Texas/Range style chili I've ever had has beans as a primary ingredient...beans aren't low carb. I guess I wouldn't consider a chili with no beans to actually be chili...I guess is would just be beef and tomatoes and chili powder.

And onions and those poblano peppers and hatch green chili's!

I think folks in the southwest just don't mess with rice ever.

I can't remember a time my mom cooked it.

It's not standard fare in the south, at all. LOL.

Now, they have it at the Chinese buffets, but there is no rice in southern home cooking.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I serve my chilli in a bowl...