Salmon, Tilapia, and other fish

Options
2»

Replies

• redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My new favorite way to cook fish is en papillote - basically baking it in a package of parchment paper, with herbs/spices/veggies/etc. - lots of ways to do it! I enjoy it because the fish always comes out tender, not dry, and you don't have to add a bunch of oil to make it not stick to anything.

Here's an example: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2012/07/fish-en-papillote-fish-in-parchment-paper/

That one has more butter than I would use - I often just squeeze lime juice over the fish and veggies and add spices.
  • dabucks
    dabucks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I just want to note if you eat farm raised fish, at least be sure that it was farmed in the US (not China). Tilapia, in particular, is often farmed in poor conditions which ruins their healthy qualities...
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We eat grilled salmon at least twice a week. Brush salmon filets with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sometimes we vary by using Old Bay Seasoning or Cajun seasoning. Place on the grill skin side down and don't turn them. The trick for me is not to overcook. I despise over cooked salmon. :wink:
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of eating only fried fish consisting of fried Catfish and Tilapia mostly. Also eat fried Salmon patties far more often than I should. They're just so easy to make :(

Going to go with others and say fish tacos. At least, that's what I'm going to try next.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Marinated grilled salmon - have been making this for years

1 salmon filet - any size, this is a flexible recipe - fresh salmon is best this way

Marinade recipe is flexible, can adjust ingredients as desired, sometimes I use less oil for example and more OJ and garlic.

Marinade
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1-2 tablespoons parsley, can use fresh or dried ( need less if fresh)
    1 teaspoon basil, fresh or dried
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons water
    2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped - I use more garlic because I love it

Rinse the salmon and place it with the marinade in a glass dish for 1-2 hours. Turn the salmon over during marinading to make sure it gets all over the fish.

Place the salmon on the grill and grill until flakes easily with a fork.

Serve salmon with a little of the marinade.

So yummy!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Martha Stewart (Okay, okay, just hear me out!) has a recipe for broiled salmon and pineapple brushed with maple syrup and cayenne pepper.
    Takes two minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to broil.
    What kid doesn't like something with maple syrup and warm pineapple?
    Google it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? I have two under 5 and it can be a challenge. A lot of times what I will do is to make grilled salmon for the adults, put a little of that on their plate, but also still put a fish stick or two on there as well (I throw those on the grill too!). I would love if they would eat just the grilled fish, but I think that is a lot to expect of small children. I try to get them to taste it and figure as they get older I will give them more of the grown up fish and less of the fish sticks.

With that said, there are some recipes that I've made that everyone likes.

Our grocery store sells a tortilla chip crusted tilapia that we pan sear in olive oil. Kids usually eat this. I've made the panko crusted tilapia and that has gone over pretty well.

Someone else mentioned the fish in parchment paper. That is a great way to let kids get involved in making the meal the way they want, everyone can assemble their own packets and have their own individual meal Here is a link from a website that has a lot of kid friendly recipes, she is a big proponent of one meal for the whole family.

http://weelicious.com/2008/10/20/fish-in-parchment-paper/
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    For tilapia or other white fish:

Fish in Crazy Water

Layer fillets in large frying pan
    Add enough salsa to coat (I also add extra veggies-whatever I have on hand, cut in large pieces)
    Add 3/4 cup water
    Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for 10-15 mins until fish is cooked
    Remove fish and veggies with slotted spoon, set aside
    Add flour or cornstarch to remaining sauce to thicken
    Serve over rice, quinoa or egg noodles

Maple Glazed Salmon (had this last night-my picky husband loved it!)

Place fillet on lightly greased foil, add salt & pepper
    in measuring cup, mix 1/2 cup maple syrup, 2 tbsp. soy sauce + 2 cloves minced garlic
    pour over fish, close up foil & marinate for 20 mins
    bake in 350 oven 15- 20 mins
  • rwieber
    rwieber Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My family loves the way I make salmon (thanks to my dad).......Cut lemon slices (round) and lie them in a layer in a pyrex dish. Lie fish ontop of lemons, sprinkle lemon pepper, garlic salt (lightly) and lots of dill (if you like dill....we do), pour a little white wine in the bottom of the pan. Not floating but enough to almost cover the bottom. Squeeze a little lemon juice on top of the fish. Cover with foil. Bake at 350 (time depends on the cut - filet or steak and how many pounds or steaks you are cooking). I do about 2 lb filet for family of 5 and we have a little left over for lunch. YUM!!!

I think the biggest trick for fish to be non smelly is to get it and cook it right away (FRESH is best)!
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I eat fish at least 4x a week (Cod, Mahi Mahi, salmon, and Tilapia). I normally squeeze lemon or lime juice on it and serve it over pasta. I am getting some wonderful ideas on marinades (other than low-fat or fat-free salad dressing). The fish stew receipe looks great.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? I have two under 5 and it can be a challenge. A lot of times what I will do is to make grilled salmon for the adults, put a little of that on their plate, but also still put a fish stick or two on there as well (I throw those on the grill too!). I would love if they would eat just the grilled fish, but I think that is a lot to expect of small children. I try to get them to taste it and figure as they get older I will give them more of the grown up fish and less of the fish sticks.

With that said, there are some recipes that I've made that everyone likes.

Our grocery store sells a tortilla chip crusted tilapia that we pan sear in olive oil. Kids usually eat this. I've made the panko crusted tilapia and that has gone over pretty well.

Someone else mentioned the fish in parchment paper. That is a great way to let kids get involved in making the meal the way they want, everyone can assemble their own packets and have their own individual meal Here is a link from a website that has a lot of kid friendly recipes, she is a big proponent of one meal for the whole family.

http://weelicious.com/2008/10/20/fish-in-parchment-paper/

My kids are 10 & 14. The 10-yo recently decided that she likes fish so she is not the challenge. The picky teenager is my problem. I know everyone will just say let her make her own food, but she actually agreed to try fish again if I try some new recipes so that was the point to the post.

A lot of these ideas are really great!

I've made salmon patties before... both kids loved those. The thought of fish tacos has never appealed to me, but it may be time to give it a chance. The stew sounded delicious. There were several other ideas that sounded great, and I actually came up with a few of my own in this thread.

Thanks everyone for your help!
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Another way to serve baked white fish like tilapia

place some tin foil on a baking sheet and spray it liberally with Pam or other cooking spray

brush the fish on both sides with a little olive oil (you can also use butter if you prefer)

mix up some bread crumbs and some grated parmesan cheese - you can use Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs if you want it to be richer

Roll the fish in the mix of Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs or cracker crumbs -- you can add seasonings to this mix if desired.

Bake 10-12 minutes at 350-400 until done.

It doesn't taste like baked fish -- both my kids love this.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bumping due to some awesome ideas!