Glass of water is what size ?

Options

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Further up, someone said, "Take your body weight in pounds. divide it by 2. thats how many FL OZ of water you should drink a day."

Seems like a lot to me.
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter the size of the glass.

1 cup = 8 oz
  • Spice_4_Life
    Options
    per my nutritionist friend. DO NOT GO BY THAT ANCIENT RULE!!!!
    Take your body weight in pounds. divide it by 2. thats how many FL OZ of water you should drink a day.

so you want me to drink 13 glasses a day?? I can barely get to 4/5 :laugh: no chance in hell, unless I cut away every other fluid intake, which I don't see happening....ever.

That's understandable. It took me quite a while to get down enough water, but if you do cut out all other beverages like say...diet sodas (which although they have no calories...they contain sodium), then in turn you tend to lose more weight and feel better. I feel a lot better now that I only drink water. Maybe a diet soda once in a while. It's hard to get used to, but it does make me feel better :)
  • kezzlarr85
    kezzlarr85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i have a pint of water every morning and just put it down as 1 glass ?? now im confused lol
  • treetop57
    Options
    A pint is two cups. Here is what the tracker says:
    Water Consumption

We recommend that you drink at least 8 cups of water a day. Click the arrows to add or subtract cups of water.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Actually you can just drink when you're thirsty, and if your pee is mostly clear you're good. But if you insist on tracking your water, the tool is there.

This. You also get water from the foods you eat. If your pee is very light colored, you're getting enough water. I don't track water, I watch my output. When it starts getting dark, I up my water.
  • mishmash81
    Options
    A cup is a standard measurement of 8 ounces, which is about 237 ml. Close enough to 250.

This is nitpicky but just to correct, a cup is not a standard unit of measurement, a cup means different things in different countries. In Canada and Australia, a cup is 250ml. In the US, a cup is half a pint. In Japan, a cup is 200ml.

It makes following recipes quite interesting! :)
    Actually it is a standard measurement. Just because different countries have different standards doesn't invalidate that. And one could assume that a US site would use the US standard. But thanks for your smart-alec reply, all the same.

Oh excuse us, lets all hail The US of A center of the world! Yes this may be a AMERICAN site so the standards are American, but there is a place called the rest of the world where other "cup" measurements exist, and there are INTERNATIONAL people using this ALL AMERICAN site who have different cup and measurement standards so it is good for us to know those differences, which is what this poster was pointing out.

LMAO I just nearly spit out my (Australian 250ml) cup of tea because of reading this :laugh:
  • treetop57
    Options
    Think how much simpler this would all be if the American Revolution had occurred after the French Revolution. Chances are, the US would have adopted the metric system as a sign of independence from Great Britain and cups and pints and gallons would have died out years ago. But alas there was no metric system in 1776.
  • bio_bots
    Options
    plus there is such a thing as water intoxication
    Overhydration occurs at 90g/kg in rats... It would take around 7 gallons of water for me to 'overdose' from water and die.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    1 US Cup = 236.588237 Milliliters
    Some people say to adjust the amount of water (or liquid) based on your current body weight. A reasonably common recommendation is to drink .5 oz. of water for each pound that you weigh. Using this rule of thumb someone weighing 180 lb., would need to drink 90 oz. or the equivalent of 11 and 1/4 cups of water a day. Another way to calculate it is by calorie consumption, drink .034 ounces for each calorie. So, if you're at 1500 calories for the day, you'd drink 51 oz. All these measurements are averages; they don't take into account whether you are getting extra exercise or if it's a very hot day.

It doesn't take 7 gallons to cause problems if you drink it very quickly. There's more on my blog including references at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/water-265761
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious. 3 pages about a cup of water? Does no one use the google anymore?
  • I do sometimes!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    35ml of water per KG of body weight is recommended. Everyone is different...so forget the 8 glasses a day crap. For me it means 2100ml a day.

Also tea, coffee will actually dehydrate you and that means drinking that nice plain water was a waste of time.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Take your body weight in pounds. divide it by 2. thats how many FL OZ of water you should drink a day.

so you want me to drink 13 glasses a day?? I can barely get to 4/5 :laugh: no chance in hell, unless I cut away every other fluid intake, which I don't see happening....ever.

half your weight in ounces - water , tea, coffee (I'd limit those 2) milk etc would all count, what i wouldn't count is items with sodium like soda because it defeats the purpose of the water which is balancing the sodium levels amongst other things
    I drink 10-15 cups of water/tea combined without even trying
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options

Also tea, coffee will actually dehydrate you and that means drinking that nice plain water was a waste of time.

that's been debunked in several studies , you have to drink 6+ cups before it has even a moderate affect. I'd drink less than 6 cups (48 ounces) to avoid the caffeine levels that would disrupt sleep though
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

that's been debunked in several studies , you have to drink 6+ cups before it has even a moderate affect. I'd drink less than 6 cups (48 ounces) to avoid the caffeine levels that would disrupt sleep though

So you are telling me that picking tea or coffee over a natural plain source of water is better for you or even on par as the same because studies have shown this?

Sleep can be disrupted in many ways & not drinking enough PLAIN water can do this. Drink all the tea or coffee you want, but remember that you are not getting what your body NEEDS through that.... it does not NEED coffee or tea.
  • pagiasson
    Options
    My nutritionist gave me those simple rules:
    1- Track your input.
    2- The only output that should be colored is the morning's one.
    3- If you drink alcohol, you should subtract one cup of water per consumption (12 oz of beer, 5 oz of wine, 1.5 oz of spirits) since alcohol dehydrate your body.
    4- If you train, you should drink more.
    5- If you wait until you get thirsty, it means that you waited until being dehydrated.
    6- Avoid adding sugar or sweeteners in the water in order to keep it tasteless and avoid keeping the crave for sweet taste.
    7- If you drink large numbers of glasses of water in a day because of exercise or heat, just make sure that you've got an adequate intake of minerals to compensate what you're losing with the output, just as runners do during a marathon.

Here's the way I make sure I drink enough:
    - I keep a pitcher or a bottle next to me at all time, whether I'm at work, training, watching TV...
    - I fill up my glass whenever it's empty.
    - I drink with a straw (much easier as I found and it's the ways bars make money because they know people drink much faster this way).
    - I drink all day long, starting my day with a glass before doing anything else.
    - I don't drink too cold water, cool-warmish water being easier to swallow and to process by the body.

By the way, don't hydrate too much. Paracelsus said "The dose makes the poison". There is such thing as too much as a good thing. There's a story of a woman who died after drinking too much: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/. Also, look for potomania, a pathology developed by people who are obsessed by the need to drink even if they are not thirsty (similar to what we could call a liquid form of bulimia).

Drinking water is not only good for you but it also helps you losing weight. Just drink enough so that you feel good and pee clear.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    ....but remember that you are not getting what your body NEEDS through that.... it does NEED coffee.

There, I fixed that for you. ;-)

32 ounces of black coffee every morning to start the day. And a mid-afternoon 10-12 ounces to top off the tank.

NEED. ;-)
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    That's kind of logical. A 120 pounds girl won't need as many glasses of water than a 220 pound women..

That doesn't make sense. Really, who can drink 110 fluid ounces of water a day, which is what a 220 pould woman would need to do.

I can - EASY!!! On a normal day I drink about 80-96oz of water (no workouts). On workout days I can easily get to 110 or more!!

Its not that difficult!!