Where are my Oakland peeps?!

Options
My name is Sue and I just came back to MFP & my senses on 1/6/14. I've lost 10 lbs this time, so far, but would like some local support & encouragement. It would be wonderful to find some walking buddies to stroll around Lake Merritt with me. If you're not into walking, I'm happy to just meet up for some coffee with splenda & nonfat milk! And, even if you don't have the desire or time to ever hang with me, just represent, OAKLAND!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    With the way Oakland is right now, I can see why more workout in doors than out doors.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • suejoker
    suejoker Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't know what neighborhood you live in, but I think Oakland is lovely. I see a lot of people exercising outdoors!
  • NakiaAlim
    NakiaAlim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in Oakland and there are lots of people exercising outdoors as well, especially in the lake area!
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Hi am new to this site. I am not local I live in Wales. I would like more friends for extra support. My name is Sue :)
  • kwilmington
    Options
    I don't know what neighborhood you live in, but I think Oakland is lovely. I see a lot of people exercising outdoors!

I lived across the street from Lake Merritt for a year. BEST neighborhood ever! We barely left the house in our car. We walked everywhere. Great food, great bars, close to public transportation. Only reason we left was because my husband and I both got jobs in Santa Clara. So we are now living in South San Jose. Another city with a bad rap. But another really great family type neighborhood.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There are good and bad neighborhoods. But when the city boast number 3 on the 10 most dangerous cities in the US and is no 1. in violent robberies, I'd still consider exercising outdoors somewhere else.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • gilmore606
    gilmore606 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oakland hella! I run around Lake Merritt a couple times a week...best running track ever. There's always other people running too so I can pick up a human pace-car to keep me motivated.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    HAHA Okay Ninerbuff, please stay in SF because us Oaklanders are perfectly happy with the way Oakland is right now!!

I am *loving* this weather. I'm walking/biking/jogging Lake Merritt almost every day!
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    welcome!! I am farther into the east bay (Livermore) loving this weather we have had so far. Its nice to get a good walk in outside pretty much everyday.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    HAHA Okay Ninerbuff, please stay in SF because us Oaklanders are perfectly happy with the way Oakland is right now!!

I am *loving* this weather. I'm walking/biking/jogging Lake Merritt almost every day!
    I don't live in SF either. Kicking it here in Livermore. And really happy with the way Oakland is? A few "happy" Oaklanders on here doesn't represent what the other 395,000 population of the city has concerns with relating to violent crime and it's statistics. Especially the 1680 people per 100,000 that have crime purported against them. Lake Merritt is in Oakland, but isn't Oakland. Would you run it at night?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    welcome!! I am farther into the east bay (Livermore) loving this weather we have had so far. Its nice to get a good walk in outside pretty much everyday.
    Yep. Livermore is great. Especially downtown. And to answer about if I wanted to run at night in Livermore and be safe...........I could.
    BTW, stop by LifestyleRx for a free tour, 7 day pass and a free pass to my TKO (kickboxing class) if you wish.

IDEA Fitness member
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yep. Livermore is great. Especially downtown. And to answer about if I wanted to run at night in Livermore and be safe...........I could.
    BTW, stop by LifestyleRx for a free tour, 7 day pass and a free pass to my TKO (kickboxing class) if you wish.

IDEA Fitness member

Yeah I love it here, my husband and I both grew up in this area :D Gotta love the downtown area.

I love the Arroyo Trail, its so calming to walk/jog down it.

I might just have to do that, if I do I will shoot ya a message. Thanks!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I hella <3 Oakland!